Anyone use the RVU (Direct TV Ready) Function on their TV?

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I just bought a Samsung JS8000 60". The specs say its "RVU (Direct TV Ready)". After speaking with a Direct TV rep, it seems that it can take the place of one of my boxes, aside from the main one. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would like to use it as I don't have a coax readily available on the wall I would like to mount it to.

In an effort to get a better feed, I would probably use Ethernet rather than wireless, since my router will be close by.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Read up on network security issues and connectivity via your TV before connecting it to your network.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
My TV does not have a webcam and I have no intention of using voice recognition. Considering I will not be entering any financial information into it either, what is the risk?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
While TVs are far from the only devices that pose risks, they are far less secure because they aren't as secure as other devices. They can potentially expose everything on any device connected to your network. Ironically, a few of the TV manufacturer's themselves have admitted to collecting data from user's networks this way, and if you read the fine print carefully, you've agreed to allow it by connecting the TV to your network.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis