Anyone try an Optoma HD20 yet?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I have an older Optoma and have been really pleased with it. If the HD20 is even half as good it will be a game changer. 1080P DLP with a 3,ooo hr bulb for $999? Sounds like true HD is coming to J6P!:eek::D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I have an older Optoma and have been really pleased with it. If the HD20 is even half as good it will be a game changer. 1080P DLP with a 3,ooo hr bulb for $999? Sounds like true HD is coming to J6P!:eek::D
After a little browsing around, I found this thread to be rather informative:

Optoma HD20 Review and Screenshots

While it will take a lot more time sifting around to find them, there are some consumer comparisons with other PJ's in the much longer "owner's thread".

F

FNG212

Audioholic
I read the review. It is really making me reconsider the $3k Epson 6500. The comment that struck home the most was about rooms that a not 100% treated lose a lot of black-level detail inherently. Since painting the ceiling black is not an option, the article suggests I will lose most of the difference between the 6500 and HD20.

Would a gray screen improve the black levels for this projector?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I read the review. It is really making me reconsider the $3k Epson 6500. The comment that struck home the most was about rooms that a not 100% treated lose a lot of black-level detail inherently. Since painting the ceiling black is not an option, the article suggests I will lose most of the difference between the 6500 and HD20.
FWIW, my brother has a plasma, and the vast improvement to black detail compared to his RPTV is super easy to discern, and the room it's in has a skylight.

My ceiling is untreated, yet the black detail is phenomenal (to me). I know it could be improved upon, and has quite a ways to go compared to say a Kuro Elite, but, well . . . I guess it's just really hard to say, and YMMV.

Would a gray screen improve the black levels for this projector?
You should understand, and you probably already do, the difference between absolute blacks and black detail. Obviously, if you calibrated for the best possible absolute black, you might lose a lot of shadow detail, so to speak.

I quite believe, and I bet many would agree (but who knows) that it's the detail between the varying blacks that are much more important than the absolute darkest it can get.

All that said, and this come from someone on his first PJ, most of what I have read leads me to believe that getting a gray screen is going about it backwards.

IOW, buy the PJ with better black detail. If you can. If you can't, just get the PJ that fits affordably into the budget, otherwise.

F

FNG212

Audioholic
We recently bought a plasma to replace our living room CRT that we have had since college. I was also amazed at the black levels with HD source material (specifically Serenity on HD-DVD, Firefly re-entry scene after the title sequence)

My biggest gripe is I cannot find any store that carries the projectors I am actually considering. No one I have found has the 6500 in store.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
My biggest gripe is I cannot find any store that carries the projectors I am actually considering. No one I have found has the 6500 in store.
Tell me where you live, or PM if you prefer, and I'll run a search or two when time permits . . .

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I live in a suburb of St Paul, MN.
I found one result so far, worth calling them, 612 area code.

http://www.projectorpoint.com/featured.php

They have 5 Epson models listed, including both 1080 and 6500. Call to see if they have one on display, and if they don't, kindly ask if they would hook one up. Worst case scenario, ask for other suggestions/places/customers that might be able to help you.

F

FNG212

Audioholic
Ok I must suck at the Google thing because I tried all sorts of search combinations. I'll give them a call.

Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis