Anyone know anything about Technics speakers?

W

whateverman

Audioholic Intern
i was looking on ebay for a cheap pair of medium sized 3 ways to bring to college with me (since i dont want to bring my big and heavy cerwin vega e-712's), and i came across a pair of Technics SB-CR55 for 80 dollars plus 38 shipping. i was wondering if anyone might know anything about these? like how well they sound and how good the bass is (compared to what im used to with the cerwins). i searched on google and couldn't find ANY information about these. here are the specs and a picture..

* Dimensions: 25"T x 13"W x 11"D
* 3-Way Bass Reflex System
* 140 Watt input capacity
* 8 ohm
* 10" Bass Woofer, 4" Cone Midrange, 2 1/2" Cone Tweeter
* Easy Attach Wire Connectors
* Maple grain vinyl cabinets

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The treble will suck. You cannot get good treble out of that large of a driver. That, and I bet those cabinets resonate like hell too.

In short, no.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I be the differ on the treble. I have two old JVC 3-way's, got em for free from a freind, and they have two tweeters that big, on each, and the treble is great.

But idk about resonance, not to sure what exactly that would define. But they sound great to me, but thats just me.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Wafflesomd said:
I be the differ on the treble. I have two old JVC 3-way's, got em for free from a freind, and they have two tweeters that big, on each, and the treble is great.

But idk about resonance, not to sure what exactly that would define. But they sound great to me, but thats just me.
Look at the Pioneed HPM offerings. Sold cabinets, and real tweeters. 50watts RMS (for the HPM-100).

SheepStar

Darth Mike

Darth Mike

Audioholic
For a less than discerning listener, they would be OK for like $45 plus shipping. For $80 plus shipping a good BJ better come with them in the box.

Short answer: Also NO!

-Mike

W

whateverman

Audioholic Intern
haha alright. thanks for all your help. guess i'll have to look some more.

do any of you know any brands i might find on ebay that would be worth buying? ive seen a couple by aura which look ok but also i know nothing of the company.

If you haven't bought them yet, I'd probably recommend staying away from this type of 3-way-no-tweeter design. I hate to broadbrush, but you're likely to get a lot of boom-sizzle and not much detail.

We always recommend a better quality set of bookshelf speakers - especially for a college dorm/apartment application. Later maybe you can save up and toss in an inexpensive subwoofer. The advantage is that you can later use this in an upgraded system (just replace the main speakers and move your bookshelf's to the rear as surrounds).

B

bandit

Audioholic
Check out AV123. They have some inexpensive 2 way bookshelfs that have gotten very favorable reviews. I think they go for 219 now. Nice looking cabinets, solid drivers. If I were in yours shoes I'd give them serious consideration. :)

C

chaos24

Audioholic Intern
cone tweeter..:eek: .dead give away of a lame speaker....

W

whateverman

Audioholic Intern
hmmm not a bad idea. yeah i think bookshelves would be a better idea now that i think about it. i'll take a closer look at the av123 speakers, thanks a lot!

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Well, I'd ldeffinitly like to apologize about my post above. I really dont know what I'm talking about, and havnt really gotten far into high quality speakers, I've just been using hand me downs.

W

whateverman

Audioholic Intern
i think i'm going to purchase the av123 x-ls bookshelves, in satin black. i have an onkyo tx-sr601 6.1 ch receiver but it's pretty big and i wouldn't want to bring it to college. could anyone recommend a nice but affordable 2 channel amp? ill pretty much only be using these bookshelves for music listening and sometimes a movie.

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
You wont regret your XL-S purchase...they will definitely blow you away of those types of speakers you showed above are what you're used to!!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Are you going to use these speakers in low volume listening, or for parties? Bookshelves would have never cut it for all the parties we threw in college. Some of those old tower 3-way designs would run off a clock radio - they were that efficient. Receivers back in the day were only two channel, and 35 watts was average. If you're on a college budget, you had the right idea in the first place.

Jaxvon, who was the first to reply, has a nice bookshelf setup with a subwoofer. But he's got some money into his system, and a decent sized dorm room.

You walk into a dormatory nowadays, and you see Ipods pushing PC speakers.

Those XL-S bookshelves will sound great if you're studying at lower volumes, but considering they are rated at 87dB, and only delve down to 55Hz, don't expect any type of bass at higher volumes. Most two channel amps don't have subwoofer outputs, and most dorm rooms don't have the room for subs. You'll also want stands, or wall brackets. Ever try to mount a wall bracket into masonry?

You'll feel a lot worse having beer spilled on your XL-S bookshelves as opposed to a pair of Technics towers. If you want a better floor speaker that can run off a cheap ebay two channel receiver, check out Cerwin Vega or Pioneer with some soft dome tweeters.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Also, if those speakers you posted are from the 1980's era or older, then those are more than likely not the original woofers and mids. The foam would long since have deteriorated by now. Those appear to be either newer drivers or older ones that have been re-foamed and doped. Most from that era of that level were all paper cones. If loud is what you want, then look for set of used Klipsch.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
jeffsg4mac said:
Also, if those speakers you posted are from the 1980's era or older, then those are more than likely not the original woofers and mids. The foam would long since have deteriorated by now. Those appear to be either newer drivers or older ones that have been re-foamed and doped. Most from that era of that level were all paper cones. If loud is what you want, then look for set of used Klipsch.
Remember the Heresys or Cornwalls? They did sound good - even with the horn drivers.

Here's what you want for a dorm party speaker (disposable):
http://cgi.ebay.com/AAL-Digital-Ready-Loudspeaker-System-Speakers_W0QQitemZ160019175050QQihZ006QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And a great sounding disposable two channel receiver:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-SX-780-AM-FM-Receiver-Vintage-1970s_W0QQitemZ330018037598QQihZ014QQcategoryZ39789QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

W

whateverman

Audioholic Intern
haha i wont be using those bookshelves for parties. my roomate pretty much has that covered. he's got a nice pair of 3-way mains, powered sub (its a sony that came with those little cube speakers but it can hit pretty hard. we didn't think we had it playing loud last year, but we had complaints all the time), plus two 15 inch subs he put in custom boxes. freshman year his system was shaking doors down at the end of the hallway. hahhah

but about those av123's, ill just use them for casual music listening when i'm just chillin in my room and use them as rears when i come home. i dont need something that plays incredibly loud, i would much rather have a set of speakers with really really great sound.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
whateverman said:
haha i wont be using those bookshelves for parties. my roomate pretty much has that covered. he's got a nice pair of 3-way mains, powered sub (its a sony that came with those little cube speakers but it can hit pretty hard. we didn't think we had it playing loud last year, but we had complaints all the time), plus two 15 inch subs he put in custom boxes. freshman year his system was shaking doors down at the end of the hallway. hahhah

but about those av123's, ill just use them for casual music listening when i'm just chillin in my room and use them as rears when i come home. i dont need something that plays incredibly loud, i would much rather have a set of speakers with really really great sound.
Heh, thats what I love, loud baby!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis