Anyone implementing whole house solar that's grid tied?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I spoke with a commercial electrician and according to him home-grade (GAS-powered) genny's reliability rankings are as follows:
1)Kohler
2)Generac
Cummins is at the bottom.

For biz grade (ie: Diesel or 30kWa+) - is Caterpillar.

I bought Kohler 20kWa whole house gas genny with automatic switching/shedding some years ago and am very happy.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There was no service contact here in Eagan, as the service was from White Bear Lake, but they have recently started a service contract for this side of the metro. I am negotiating now. First proposals were outrageous, but we are getting close now. Basically they want to service it far too often, like changing the battery every two years and other issues. I have done the service myself, and did this years service last week. It is four years old, and so I replaced the acid pour battery with an Optima glass mat battery. They last and last. I know the one I installed at the lake is still going strong after twenty years.
I 100% agree. Such service includes a replacement of a ridiculously long list of unnecessary items.
The issue is most of these items are also recommended by the manufacturer, however, I've noticed that Kohler recommends replacing sparks plus every x (running) hours, but the service provider replaces them annually regardless of running hours - i.e., increasing the cost for me.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Going back to Solar panels, I think that a) It depends on how many sun days your home gets b) how much electricity your home uses c) Does your local electric company provides net metering (ie: buying back solar power then you generate too much and lastly d) how long are planning to stay at your current home to start getting net benefit from solar system purchase (imho leasing and financing for solar system don't make sense)

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Our daughter lives in FL and one of their neighbors, who has solar, said to save your money. lol We live in So. WI. I did do some investigating with 2 solar companies, etc. and learned that returned on investment is light years away. We are 80....lol No way, would I want panels on our roof as replacing shingles would be an added expense. Anyway, having a gas furnace with AC, gas dryer, and gas stove, we are good. We receive a combined electric and gas billing every month, from Alliant Energy.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I spoke with a commercial electrician and according to him home-grade (GAS-powered) genny's reliability rankings are as follows:
1)Kohler
2)Generac
Cummins is at the bottom.

For biz grade (ie: Diesel or 30kWa+) - is Caterpillar.

I bought Kohler 20kWa whole house gas genny with automatic switching/shedding some years ago and am very happy.
That is because the data includes the time prior to 2019, when I understand there were some Chinese junk engines. The new design made in America series I think I OK. They also run very smoothly and are quiet. They are by far the quietest in the industry. Cummins know how to build engines as they power most US trucks. Cat diesels are second to none also.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My boss has his solar connected to the grid. He said his electricity bill for the YEAR was $30.

highfigh

highfigh

I researched generators thoroughly when I moved from the lake. I had a vintage Kohler/Wisconsin V4 there, which was marvellous.

So when I moved here I did a lot of research and inspected the lot. There is only one reliable choice, and that is Cummins. They bought out Onan years ago, but starting 2019, they designed excellent new engines from the ground up, and all made in America. All the others have pretty junk engines and they do blow up. Generac is probably the bottom of the heap. Kohler are fair, but they are known for burning out the valves and have seen that in their V-twins.

So Cummins is worth the slight premium.

There was no service contact here in Eagan, as the service was from White Bear Lake, but they have recently started a service contract for this side of the metro. I am negotiating now. First proposals were outrageous, but we are getting close now. Basically they want to service it far too often, like changing the battery every two years and other issues. I have done the service myself, and did this years service last week. It is four years old, and so I replaced the acid pour battery with an Optima glass mat battery. They last and last. I know the one I installed at the lake is still going strong after twenty years.

The problem is, I'm not getting younger and I don't know how long I will be able to grovel on the ground. With the engines at ground level you have to pump out the oil. That is not a big deal though. Luckily I have a very well resourced workshop from a lifetime of doing most of my own mechanical work.
If those valves are burning, I would bet that they're trying to run the engine too lean and if it's a known problem, the manufacturer should be able to send a recal to their dealers/installers since everything uses fuel injection.

highfigh

highfigh

Our daughter lives in FL and one of their neighbors, who has solar, said to save your money. lol We live in So. WI. I did do some investigating with 2 solar companies, etc. and learned that returned on investment is light years away. We are 80....lol No way, would I want panels on our roof as replacing shingles would be an added expense. Anyway, having a gas furnace with AC, gas dryer, and gas stove, we are good. We receive a combined electric and gas billing every month, from Alliant Energy.
Where in WI? I would give my eye teeth to get away from WE Energies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis