Anyone bought a TV online?

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
I'm seriously considering making my TV purchase online due to the savings involved, and would like to know if the collective has any experience with this, good or bad. I can't seem to find the two models I'm interested in locally, and when the cost is factored in, it seems like the way to go.

How about it: any horror stories out there? Signed for the panel and it didn't work properly when it was installed? too many dead pixels? Or maybe everything went just right, and you'd do it again in a heartbeat?

Bryan...checking cnet shopper almost daily...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I bought my first plasma - a 50" Sampo on eBay from Best Buy, then picked it up in person w/4 year warranty. It's been working great for 3 years now... damn warranty. ;)

My brother just picked up a 60" Sony LCoS at www.bestbuyplasma.com and has been enjoying it for a couple of months now without issue. He did have a couple of issues with the freight company not delivering when they said they would, but eventually he got it to the house.

So far, two for two when buying televisions online in my family.

R

rocket13

Audiophyte
Bought a projector from Visual Apex. It's been a great experience. It was cheap and when there was a problem with it, I sent an email and they responded right away. I'm very happy with my decision to buy online. I won't do it any other way. The deals you get are much better. You just have to watch out and buy from a reputable dealer.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the input guys: bestbuyplasma and Abe's of Maine are two in the short running for me, and it's nice to know that the product actually shows up in good shape when you're dealing with something so potentially delicate.

Bryan...envisioning that 50" in the center of my set up...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I was considering buying online, specifically Crutchfield because at least currently they beat local prices by a couple hundred bucks, no tax, and free 'white glove' shipping where they deliver it and bring it in the house, unpack it and place it in on your TV stand/wall unit.

Then...I read that 'some TVs have a pedestal that must be attached to the TV and it is the customer's responsibility to connect the pedestal'.

???? So are they going to bring the tv inside and take it out of the box and lay it on the floor and then wait for the customer to attach the pedestal to the TV before lifting it up onto the tv stand ???? Sounds pretty lame to me.

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
Purchased a 42 inch Panasonic plasma from Tigerdirect.com. No problems. A fine HDTV at a fine price.

M

mjhamre

Audioholic Intern
B&H made it right, but...

Bought my first plasma about 4 years ago. They sent it FedEx (does anyone still do this). I picked it up at the local FedEx warehouse, unpacked it, screen looked like a broken mirror. I can't tell you what it felt like to see that on a 3k investment.

Called B&H, relatively little hassle, had to return it to the local FedEx, wait for a week while they all pointed fingers at each other, then got a new one. Had that one for four years and have been very happy with it. Still not sure exactly what I am going to do when I replace it later this fall, but whoever you go with you should make sure they have good ratings. I can only imagine if the same thing had happened with a shady dealer...

--Matt

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Well, I just ordered w/ Abe's of Maine this morning: a Pioneer Elite Pro 1140HD is winging it's way to Colorado as we speak. There was another shop that was $9 cheaper, but my wife has purchased several 35mm lenses from Abe's and always been happy, so I thought, "why not?" I'll post as the plasma and the tv mount arrive, if you'd like.

Bryan...good price, too...

B

BarfBag

Audiophyte
I was considering buying online, specifically Crutchfield.
I just bought a 61" DLP Samsung from Crutchfield and it was delivered in perfect condition. I had already set up the stand when they brought it.
One unique thing they do which I didn't see anywhere else is attach a one- time use shock meter to the box that can detect a drop severe enough to damage the television.
I felt pretty good about ordering from them based on that.
The delivery guys seemed very professional and careful also.
(I have absolutely no affiliation with Crutchfield)

J

jake5717

Audioholic
Tweeter.com

I got my Panasonic 42" Plasma from Tweeter.com it was shipped via Bekin and it was a little frustrating because unlike FedEx or UPS there’s no tracking information you just have to wait and wait.

I bought it from tweeter because there is a retail store about 20 miles from my house and if there was anything wrong I could take it in to the store.

Over all I got a great deal and was very satisfied.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I just bought a 61" DLP Samsung from Crutchfield and it was delivered in perfect condition. I had already set up the stand when they brought it.
Thanks, that's good information to know.

Their shipping FAQ wasn't talking about the actual wall unit/tv stand but rather the pedestal that must be attached to the TV itself. LCDs can be mounted on the wall or freestanding and if freestanding you have to attach the pedestal before placing it on the stand.

Did your DLP require anything like that?

Nasja1984

Audiophyte
I'm seriously considering making my TV purchase online due to the savings involved, and would like to know if the collective has any experience with this, good or bad. I can't seem to find the two models I'm interested in locally, and when the cost is factored in, it seems like the way to go.

How about it: any horror stories out there? Signed for the panel and it didn't work properly when it was installed? too many dead pixels? Or maybe everything went just right, and you'd do it again in a heartbeat?

Bryan...checking cnet shopper almost daily...
I bought at ONE-CALL on the internet. I got the best price I could find AND didn't have to pay sales tax...AND received it in 3 days from fedex at no charge..

B

BarfBag

Audiophyte
Hey MDS,
I get it now, must have misread that on their site. No, it has the stand integrated.

R

Razorback_Fan

Audioholic Intern
Pics of it mounted

I would be interested in seeing pics of this once mounted. I'm buying the exacxt same TV, my local big box store has it for 2568.00

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
It's here, and it's ...

...incredible. Almost right out od the box it looked great. I bumped the color temps down to mid-low, and decided I'd probably never use the dynamic setting, but other than that it's awfully close to spot-on I bet. I'll dig out my copy of DVE when I finish unpacking after the move and square it away properly.

So: a recommendation for dealing with Abe's of Maine, and one for picking up the 1140HD from Pioneer if you find a good price.

Bryan

P

parkerbender

Audioholic
i actually did the ebay thing with my rear projection tv, in 2003, at the time it was a great deal (a little over 600 bucks, well, 800 with shipping, for a 56" HDTV) and, though it's always had a little convergance issue, and i havn't been able to really remedy it, it was definitely a good decision, considering the deal i got.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Sceptre LCD

Got my Sceptre 32" LCD from Costco online for $600. If I have a problem I can always return it at the local store thanks to their generous return policy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis