Anybody Notice the new HSU Sub?

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Only like 6 weeks ago :D :p

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1288202

It looks like a very high bang for the buck sub and seems to have a lot tuning options. Early subjective reviews seem to be favorable as well (for whatever that is worth)

I'll be real interested to see the Audioholics review of it later this month (hope it's later this month). Should be very helpful in trying to determine whether I get two of the VTF-15's or two VTF-2 MK3's

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

It looks like a very high bang for the buck sub and seems to have a lot tuning options. Early subjective reviews seem to be favorable as well (for whatever that is worth)

I'll be real interested to see the Audioholics review of it later this month (hope it's later this month). Should be very helpful in trying to determine whether I get two of the VTF-15's or two VTF-2 MK3's
That's a strange choice as they are not very comparable. Pete himself said that a VTF-15H would have more output than two ULS-15s. If you can afford the VTF-15H, go for it unless you really don't need all that output. Two VTF2s will be a nice system in itself if you don't need all that massive output.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Size matters

That's a strange choice as they are not very comparable. Pete himself said that a VTF-15H would have more output than two ULS-15s. If you can afford the VTF-15H, go for it unless you really don't need all that output. Two VTF2s will be a nice system in itself if you don't need all that massive output.
It's more of a choice based on the size factors in my case. I'm stuck with putting both subs up front (which isn't too bad in itself), but my front wall is right around 10' long, and when I take out about 30" or so around the thermostat and light switches for walking space and 44" for my entertainment center, I have a very small amount of space to fit 2 subs. So much so where I'll have to put my speakers on top of the subs if I want to fit duals in there. The other option would be to get only one sub (which I'd opt for the VTF15 - the VTF3 isn't enough of a step up if I'm going to have a wider sub), but I want to be cool and get 2 subs :p

The VTF2's would fit along my front wall better due to the slightly narrower width, plus they wouldn't stick out as far (looks like they'd fit on a Gramma pad just perfectly), while the VTF15s I'd put on Great Gramma pads and they'd be out 30". Couple the size factor with living in an apartment, and I'm not sure I'd need all that output. Plus, I'd probably be saving close to $1K, so that's why I'm considering the VTF2's.

But hell, considering I've blown whatever budget I've had on the other portions of my HT, I should probably just get two VTF15s and be done with it. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

So we have a review of 6 or 7 subs, but you know you'll end up buying a Hsu subwoofer. Now that is brand loyalty!
Normally, I would think you are crazy, but having spent some time with Hsu (Pete) on the phone/email, I understand completely.
Companies that don't give much regard to Customer Support should take note!

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
So we have a review of 6 or 7 subs, but you know you'll end up buying a Hsu subwoofer. Now that is brand loyalty!
Normally, I would think you are crazy, but having spent some time with Hsu (Pete) on the phone/email, I understand completely.
Companies that don't give much regard to Customer Support should take note!

I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up to brand loyalty, although, in full disclosure, I do have an STF-1 in office system that I'm reasonably satisfied with. I've had no direct customer interactions with Pete or anyone else at HSU - haven't needed to - but I agree, customer support/service is something that I feel is important.

It's more a case of the other subs (besides the Salk) in the shootout are at a higher price level than I really want to spend if I want to run duals. My original 'budget' was 1000-1200, so I've already blown by that. Part of my thinking was I can always get more sub and turn it down, which would be better than not buying enough sub. And from what I've read, at 879-999, the HSU sounded like a lot of sub for the $$$, so that's why I was leaning that way and upping the budget.

If I decided to run a single sub, that's a different story, and more of the shootout competitors are an option. I've considered other smaller subs as well (like the Legend, PB10, and some of the eD options), but the VTF-2 seemed like a good deal being on sale right now.

Believe me, I've gone back and forth on the whole 1 vs. 2 subwoofer thing more times than I can count... do I get two good subs vs one great sub, or get one great sub and another one later... it's all a bunch of 'paralysis by analysis' I swear :(

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I can't say I'm a big fan of the port design.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up to brand loyalty, although, in full disclosure, I do have an STF-1 in office system that I'm reasonably satisfied with. I've had no direct customer interactions with Pete or anyone else at HSU - haven't needed to - but I agree, customer support/service is something that I feel is important.

It's more a case of the other subs (besides the Salk) in the shootout are at a higher price level than I really want to spend if I want to run duals. My original 'budget' was 1000-1200, so I've already blown by that. Part of my thinking was I can always get more sub and turn it down, which would be better than not buying enough sub. And from what I've read, at 879-999, the HSU sounded like a lot of sub for the $$$, so that's why I was leaning that way and upping the budget.

If I decided to run a single sub, that's a different story, and more of the shootout competitors are an option. I've considered other smaller subs as well (like the Legend, PB10, and some of the eD options), but the VTF-2 seemed like a good deal being on sale right now.

Believe me, I've gone back and forth on the whole 1 vs. 2 subwoofer thing more times than I can count... do I get two good subs vs one great sub, or get one great sub and another one later... it's all a bunch of 'paralysis by analysis' I swear :(
Well, you really should email Hsu with a question - then you'd feel even better about your decision; and, more importantly, my post wouldn't be so full of crap!:p

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not too fond of the looks on the ports either, but I'll take function over form any day

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The reason for the triangular ports was to reduce the size of the front of the box without going to smaller ports. I've heard them and they sound pretty good. I very seriously considered replacing my Plus/2 with a pair of the VTF-15 but with shipping and sales tax that puts me within spitting distance of something even bigger and badder.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
The reason for the triangular ports was to reduce the size of the front of the box without going to smaller ports. I've heard them and they sound pretty good. I very seriously considered replacing my Plus/2 with a pair of the VTF-15 but with shipping and sales tax that puts me within spitting distance of something even bigger and badder.
bigger and badder... such as ?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I actually like the aesthetics of the sub. Unconventional yes, but I think it looks cool. To the naysayers I thinks its your WAF subconscious that is telling you it looks bad. :)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think its ugly at all, I think it looks cool and is a bit different then the norm.... the wood grain and color is really nice... I'm sure its probably a nice sub...

I'd like to hear one - gotta be better then the PLUS/2 for SQ, with almost as much output and probably alot less shaking of stuff all around the house...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis