M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
hi all

i am about to start building a 2 channel music system for my parents and was thinking of PSB, i have heard that they are good bang for the buck up here in canada, i was thinking of the b25 bookshelfs and a sub, obviously this will be a buget system, it is for a pritty big room which is about 30 by 25 with slopeing 9ft to 15 foot ceillings.

any sugestions would be great:) :) .

happy holidays

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You can get sweet deals on Energy Conousseir speakers right now, as they are going to discontinue that line soon. I picked up a pair of C-1's for 222 without even talking down. They feature great construction and WBT binding posts found on much costlier speakers.

SheepStar

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
That is a gigantic room. My suggestion would be to email PSB and ask them if the speakers are up to the task. I like Energy speakers as well and the Price Sheep is quoting you is great. One thing to consider is that you may want to look into the older Image series as they are still available for sale brand new. I happen to own 2Bs. They are the forerunner to the B25, and are ever bit as good IMO and a better buy right now. Shops like 2001 audio video here in Ontario carry the older models still but they are getting really rare.

M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
thanks

thanks for the info and ideas i'll deffinitly look at the energys and look into the older psb's. i was also wondering if a downfireing sub would be better for a room this large [25 by 30 ft] because there arnt really any good corners to put the sub in, from my experience that is really the only place to put them to fill the room, if im rong plese tell me.

thanks again

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
What kind of floor is it? I'd say downward firing might be better if you can't corner load but thick carpet, ceramic tiles etc, all can have an impact. Hopefully some of the guys here will pipe in and be of more help to you than I am, lol.

Rocky

Rocky

Audioholic
I'm debating on picking up some energy C-1's for my fronts, which will be moved to the side when i get enough money for some PSB Image T45's. My buddy has a condo with a full PSB/yamaha setup, its freakin kick ***. Master&Commander on DTS is awesome. Both energy and PSB are great companys, worthy of your money.

M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
hardwood

to answer the question about the floors we have hardwood floors and no good corners to put the sub in so thats why i was thinking downfireing but there dont seem to be to meny of those out there, at least not that im aware of, any suggestions would be great.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
HSU subs are downward firing and available at retail stores in Canada. Great bang for the buck subs. Just go to their website (hsuresearch.com) and follow the links to the Canadian distributer. They can tell you where the closest store is. The prices are pretty fair once you do the conversion from US to CDN. I hate to say it but you'll probably need a pretty darn beefy sub for that room but if you email HSU the specs they'll tell you what sub will do the best job for you.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Energy speakers are a delight for me.

When listening to CDs without hesitation, I have my Yamaha switch to Stereo and use the Energy Towers. That brings to singer or soloist over a total of 4 woofers (and each larger than those of the Energy Center speaker) and 2 tweeters.

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I agree with the recommendations. I love my PSB B25 but you got a large room there. Go with towers. Don't bother with any bookshelf.

audioferret

audioferret

Enthusiast
PSB B-15s

Yes, the PSB's are excellent speakers. I have a pair in my current two-channel setup. I have the B-15s, but the B-25s are probably a better option.

What electronics are you using to run the setup? While the use of a sub is good, if you have the space for floor-standers, you should look at the Image T-45 ($750/pr) or T-55 (950/pr). They will hold their own in the Bass department and save you money on stands for the monitors.

For a monitor setup, you are looking at:
Monitors 400
Stands 100
Subwoofer 400

The monitors will require that you find a good place for the subwoofer to go, which is not always feasible in some rooms. Properly blending a sub and satelite combo is relatively difficult. Further, your mom may not like the presence of a subwoofer for aesthetic purposes. Decent towers make for a simpler and more economical setup. Unless they like organ music, 33Hz is as low as you need to go and the T-55 will get you there.

I DO NOT recommend mounting the speakers on the walls, even though the manufacturer says it is possbile. The best sound and imaging comes from speakers at least 18" away from the walls. There are many posts on this subject.

If you haven't decided what to drive them with, look at the Outlaw RR2150. 100WPC, bass management, subwoofer out, and extreme flexibility (USB, mini pin in) make this an excellent option. Since this is for your parents, they may also find the styling has an attractive nostalgic quality.

For a source,
Low Budget: Pioneer DV588-A ($125) local store
Med Budget: Onix XCD-99 ($300) av123.com
High Budget: NAD 542 ($500) and you get to be pure canadian!

M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
awsome

thanks for all the info guys this is really helping, i just looked at the hsu subs and they are looking pritty sweet i have also heard of svs any commments on those as i think we will deffinitly need a downfireing sub. as for a reciever i was thinking of NAD, i have heard a couple of good things about outlaw in the past but wasnt shure so if anyone has that brand i would like to hear what you think.

thanks again

i didnt know NAD was canadian thats cool

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Can't go wrong with a SVS sub. The bass frequencies will fill the air of your HT room.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I'm sure that SVS subs are great, but they aren't the same deal up here north of the border. I'm not saying that they aren't a good deal still, just that HSU is IMO the better bargin in Canada. The STF-3 can easily keep up with the Paradigm PW-2200 and costs several hundred less. I'm mentioning those two together because the Paradigm is IMO a great sub that is usually easier to find and audition than the HSU. Demo the Paradigm if you can't demo the HSU and you'll get some idea of the kind of foundation shaking bass you'll be in for. I do think you'd get the same performance and quality from SVS but all of the fun fees at the border will add hundreds of dollars to the purchase price of anything bigger than a PB-10.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Takeereasy,

...I do think you'd get the same performance and quality from SVS but all of the fun fees at the border will add hundreds of dollars to the purchase price of anything bigger than a PB-10.
Well, in my case, there was GST and PST and a UPS brokerage fee, but, no duty.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I remember Mfabian, you lucky dog. I still think that that is either a Quebec thing or you got lucky. I recently recieved a few purchases from the US and didn't get hit with anything, they just showed up at my door. First time that's ever happened for me though. I'm not saying that the SVS subs aren't a great deal even at a price inflated by crossing the border, I just think that for pure value in Canada the best deal goingis the HSU STF-3. I think that PB-10 would be close to $700 Cad by the time it gets up here without any duty being charged, just tax, conversion, shipping, and handling fee. An STF-3 is about $750 to $800 plus tax and I'm a huge fan of that sub. My opinion is just that, an opinion, but the chance to "upgrade" to an STF-3 would be worth $100-$150 very easily in what is, again, my opinion.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
farscaper said:
Looks like someone's having a sale on HSU in Canada. Even discounted shipping. I don't know much about these guys but it maybe worth checking them out.

http://superteck.dreamhosters.com/
The 2 phone numbers are Rogers Cell phone numbers and cannot be traced.

I would say caution in dealing with this outfit... such as see would you get before paying and get confirmation from HSU that warranty will be honored.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Takeereasy,

If I recall during trace of the shipment via UPS, the entry into Canada was in Ontario. Doubt very much that a Quebec destination address had anything to do with the clearing of customs.

But I rather think now that duty may be part of the UPS brokerage fee which would explain the amount asked. So I guess it's a question of presentation by UPS.

I'm sure HSU will supply you with a great sub. But I would recommend that you deal directly with them.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Love my PSBs

mocwilson said:
hi all

i am about to start building a 2 channel music system for my parents and was thinking of PSB, i have heard that they are good bang for the buck up here in canada, i was thinking of the b25 bookshelfs and a sub, obviously this will be a buget system, it is for a pritty big room which is about 30 by 25 with slopeing 9ft to 15 foot ceillings.

any sugestions would be great:) :) .

happy holidays
That is hugemongous room..I would take Takeereasy's suggestion of talking to PSB about this. I love my PSB set-up, Image T45s mains, Image 8C center, Image 1B surrounds and Subsonic5 . My room is no where near as big as yours, only 12x16 with 7ft ceiling.

Here's my thoughts on the ImageT45's..

http://audioreview.com/mfr/psb-speakers/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_329036_1594crx.aspx

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis