Anybody like Hot Sauce / spicy food?

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
This stuff is one of my favorites, Gator Hammock. Nice and hot, but with a ton of flavor.

Also +1 on the Siracha.

Attachments

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I like to cook Indian food, even though it is a lot of work. That was one of the big reasons I put in an outside kitchen here. That outside kitchen has a lot of space and BTUs. Meal preparation can become a big family affair, and often neighbors involved also.

Some of our most memorable summer weekends have involved a big Indian meal with the many family members involved, including making the Naans from scratch

I'm getting in the mood for Saturday.
It reminds me of the time my Indian friend's fiancee cooked us a meal. That was one of the best meals of my life.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
It reminds me of the time my Indian friend's fiancee cooked us a meal. That was one of the best meals of my life.
Ditto for me. I have a friend who is a physician from India. The first meal he cooked for us was unbelievably delicious. Best I ever had...and vegetarian to boot. Spicy and hot and flavorful in the extreme without anything being overwhelming. Funny thing is in the last couple of years he has been completely enamored with Tuscan style recipes and cooking. :confused::eek:

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
All this talk of spicy Indian food got me craving some. I made a pork vindaloo tonight. It was great - pictures will come later.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ditto for me. I have a friend who is a physician from India. The first meal he cooked for us was unbelievably delicious. Best I ever had...and vegetarian to boot. Spicy and hot and flavorful in the extreme without anything being overwhelming. Funny thing is in the last couple of years he has been completely enamored with Tuscan style recipes and cooking. :confused::eek:
That should not surprise you. Cooking is a great way to explore other cultures.
I can assure the cuisine of Tuscany is superb. I suspect he got tired of friends always expecting an Indian meal.

For a while over here our Canadian and US friends expected us to cook ethnic English meals, and yes there are plenty of good ones. However I admit it takes a little culinary archeology after the ravages of the twentieth century.

Of course we still cook a large number of English meals, especially around Christmas time, but it is nice to have other schools of cooking.

India has a great connection to England. When British officers returned from the Raj, the one thing they always tried to do was bring their English cooks with them.

Many of my relatives spent a lot of time in India, including my great great uncle, great great grand father and my farther.

I also like cooking French cuisine and the cooking of the Mediterranean. I also have the odd Eastern European dish of which the most popular is spit roasted caraway duck.

So I'm not surprised at all that your friend wants to explore the cuisine of cultures other than India.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

All this talk of spicy Indian food got me craving some. I made a pork vindaloo tonight. It was great - pictures will come later.
I'm gearing up for this weekend. The weather has finally turned hot and humid after the coldest spring and early summer in 68 years. I'm yet to take a boat out!

This weekend promises to be ideal weather for Indian cooking.

You seem to have a large culinary repertoire.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
That should not surprise you. [snip]
So I'm not surprised at all that your friend wants to explore the cuisine of cultures other than India.
He's well beyond the explore-other-cultures stage. ;) He is totally immersed in Tuscany, having now built a Tuscan villa style house and uses Tuscan cooking touches on most foods. His Brahman roots seemingly have spread west. :eek:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

He's well beyond the explore-other-cultures stage. ;) He is totally immersed in Tuscany, having now built a Tuscan villa style house and uses Tuscan cooking touches on most foods. His Brahman roots seemingly have spread west. :eek:
Well he could do a lot worse. If had Tuscan meals and wines for the rest of my life, I would not feel short changed.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I am guessin chili dogs are not on the menu in Tuscany..........:eek::D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am guessin chili dogs are not on the menu in Tuscany..........:eek::D
Great guess! Chili Dogs are off limits in Tuscany. Italy is a very civilized place, and Tuscany the most civilized of all. Generally you won't find a written or printed menu in Tuscany. The tradition is of "La Lista orale". So you have to put yourself in hands of your waiter, if your Italian is a sketchy as mine.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Great guess! Chili Dogs are off limits in Tuscany. Italy is a very civilized place, and Tuscany the most civilized of all. Generally you won't find a written or printed menu in Tuscany. The tradition is of "La Lista orale". So you have to put yourself in hands of your waiter, if your Italian is a sketchy as mine.
I have actually been there as well as every major city in Italy with my work. Florence is my favorite city in Italy. I have had many great times there and some unforgettable meals. As far as food goes in Europe goes I am not much of a fan outside of France,Italy,and Spain. English food is my least favorite as much of it is very bland ,although the Scots eat some weird stuff..................

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I'm gearing up for this weekend. The weather has finally turned hot and humid after the coldest spring and early summer in 68 years. I'm yet to take a boat out!

This weekend promises to be ideal weather for Indian cooking.
Sounds like a blast. This weekend I will be making some bacon (already cured) and smoking some pork shoulder. Can't wait!

You seem to have a large culinary repertoire.
My sister is a chef, she taught me how to cook, now I try to cook everything - especially since I moved to a food wasteland. I figure you can't learn if you don't try, so I try everything without hesitation (normally).

Next week I will be making Pho, I can't wait! To be honest though, my favorite foods to make are the ones that take too much time and effort: breads, beer, cheese, various cured meats (saucisson sec is coming soon), etc.... Of course all are work the effort.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have actually been there as well as every major city in Italy with my work. Florence is my favorite city in Italy. I have had many great times there and some unforgettable meals. As far as food goes in Europe goes I am not much of a fan outside of France,Italy,and Spain. English food is my least favorite as much of it is very bland ,although the Scots eat some weird stuff..................
English cuisine since the first world war is mostly poor I grant you. However if you are prepared to research prior to 1914, then it is a very different story.

J

jamie2112

Banned
English cuisine since the first world war is mostly poor I grant you. However if you are prepared to research prior to 1914, then it is a very different story.
Well I am no researcher and I KNOW that the food now is terrible. I am sure it used to be good............I do however love Indian and Thai most of all. And oh yeah Sushi is another favorite....Spicy white tuna roll yah baby.....wasabi to death...love it

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
As promised - pork vindaloo served on basmati rice with a homemade IIPA (the subtle sweetness goes well with the heat).

There are never too many pics in a threat about food :).

majorloser

majorloser

I've been staying out of this thread, but I would be considered a serious hot food addict. My daily sauces would make the average person scream for mercy. I've been working my way up for many years.

My favorite everyday sauces (so far) are the Blair Jersey Death or Mega Death, Mad Dog 357 Collectors Edition, Da' Bomb Final Answer and lastly Dave's Private Reserve.

Anything over 1,000,000 Scoville units can be dangerous to those not experienced. Law enforcement grade pepper spray is usually around 5 million Scoville. Civilian grades are around 2 to 3 million.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

Here's one of the place I order my sauces. They have a good comparison and Scoville cart:
http://www.sweatnspice.com/Hottest-Hot-Sauces.php

Here's a good deal if somebody wants to make some insanely hot chilli:
http://extremefood.com/shop/product.php?productid=82&cat=1&page=1

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
I've been staying out of this thread, but I would be considered a serious hot food addict. My daily sauces would make the average person scream for mercy. I've been working my way up for many years.

My favorite everyday sauces (so far) are the Blair Jersey Death or Mega Death, Mad Dog 357 Collectors Edition, Da' Bomb Final Answer and lastly Dave's Private Reserve.

Anything over 1,000,000 Scoville units can be dangerous to those not experienced. Law enforcement grade pepper spray is usually around 5 million Scoville. Civilian grades are around 2 to 3 million.

Here's one of the place I order my sauces. They have a good comparison and Scoville cart:

Dude!:eek:

You're not messing around. I like hot food but damn, a few drops of any one of those and I'd be sweating for a week!:eek:

majorloser

majorloser

As promised - pork vindaloo served on basmati rice with a homemade IIPA (the subtle sweetness goes well with the heat).

There are never too many pics in a threat about food :).
Man, it lunch time here. Luckily I've got a decent Indian resturant down the street from my office. I see a large bowl of Chicken Phaal curry on the horizon. :cool:

http://indianflavorsus.com/index.html

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja

How do you use those sauces (a recipe would be great)? I am always curious to see how people use such extreme sauces.

Man, it lunch time here. Luckily I've got a decent Indian resturant down the street from my office. I see a large bowl of Chicken Phaal curry on the horizon. :cool:

http://indianflavorsus.com/index.html
Making me hungry and nothing spicy for dinner or lunch today :(.

majorloser

majorloser

I put hot sauce on everything. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Wife got mad at me when I put Tabasco on my peanut butter sandwich. Tabasco is like water to me. Ask Tomorrow. He freaked when I polished of a bottle at a restaurant with him. If I'm at a restaurant that doesn't have hot sauce of any kind, I usually ask for extra, extra jalapenos on my food if they have them.

Unfortunately I couldn't hit the Indian restaurant for lunch today. But I'll make up for it tonight will be a big bowl of chirashi and loads of wasabi :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis