Anybody have vertical center channel set-ups? Pics would be nice

G

Gemseeker

Enthusiast
Hi,
I'm an HT newbie who's considering buying three matching bookshelf speakers rather than a center and two fronts. Two problems with this:

1)Most bookshelf speakers are sold in pairs. How would I get an odd one without having to buy a fourth and go to the hassle of reselling it? Finding a matching one used would be...difficult.

2)Physical setup. TV stands are not designed to accommodate a vertical center, and as I am in an apartment I cannot mount things to the walls. Plus I prefer to have my TV lower down as it's easier on my neck (I get headaches), so I don't want a stand that has one of those metal arms on the back that lift the TV above the rest of the stand. Finally, there is not enough floorspace between the TV stand and the end of my bed (about 4 feet) to simply put a bookshelf speaker in front of the TV stand.

My idea is to set a bookshelf speaker on a short stand next to the TV stand. My TV is already sitting as far to the side as possible anyway, since my chair is about 45 degrees to the side of the TV stand and I want to be able to read small fonts (my TV doubles as a PC monitor). So there's about 8 inches of screen sticking out over the edge of the TV stand already.

Anybody else got a similar setup? How does it work? Do you notice whether things sound off-center or not?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Unless a speaker is centered directly over or under the TV, it's not a center channel.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis