Anybody Ever Work At Lowes Or Home Depot????

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
I'm thinking of working at one or the other??

Wanting to see if anybody can fill me in on the Pro's and the Con's.:D

THANKS in advance!!!!
:)

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
I have an aquaintance that works at HD. Pro's is that he doesn't make much money so he stays in the lower tax bracket. The con's are that he works differing hours each week with few benefits and a less than ideal management philosophy. But, as he says, it's a job for now.

Mort

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
I have an aquaintance that works at HD. Pro's is that he doesn't make much money so he stays in the lower tax bracket. The con's are that he works differing hours each week with few benefits and a less than ideal management philosophy. But, as he says, it's a job for now.

Mort

Ya, that doesn't sound too Great.

:(

J

jake5717

Audioholic
A guy here at work recently went to work for home depot for kicks and totally hated it. He hated it for all the reasons anyone hates a job in retail…..CUSTOMERS! They didn’t give any discounts to employees and he never got to meet Tony Stewart. I cruised by to visit him one day and see him in action and it was great to see him in all his grumpiness when customers asked for something. “Yeah its over there in isle _______(first number that popped in his head)” The good think I guess I that you don’t have to know anything about home improvement just have to know what direction to point the customers in.

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
A guy here at work recently went to work for home depot for kicks and totally hated it. He hated it for all the reasons anyone hates a job in retail…..CUSTOMERS! They didn’t give any discounts to employees and he never got to meet Tony Stewart. I cruised by to visit him one day and see him in action and it was great to see him in all his grumpiness when customers asked for something. “Yeah its over there in isle _______(first number that popped in his head)” The good think I guess I that you don’t have to know anything about home improvement just have to know what direction to point the customers in.

Tony Stewart!! :D Lol....

MAN!! Home Depot does not have a good Reputation.

majorloser

majorloser

Used to work part-time for Lowes a fews years back. A buddy of mine that I worked with during the day talked me into working with him at nights. The extra money was good. I was originally going to be a part-time delivery driver until they found out how much I knew about plumbing and kept me in the store. My buddy told them so I'd end up working with him (nice guy). Ended up working the plumbing section at nights and one weekend day. Yeah, sometimes the customers can be a pain. But for the most part they aren't that bad. If you know what you're talking about and don't BS them you can usually move on to the next one in just a couple seconds.

The reasons I left were because the managers didn't want to give me any days off (kept me scheduled 7 days a week) and they always kept us late to help the other department "down-stock" their divisions.

You see, while I left my buddy to handle the customers and the department phone calls, I spent the whole night restocking the shelves and moving item from the top racks down (down-stocking). But the night managers won't let you leave after closing till they inspect your area and says it's clean and fully stocked. Of course our section (plumbing) was ALWAYS clean and fully stocked by the end of the night because we busted hump! But it never failed that the managers would make us go to other department and do their work. They didn't do Jack all night and we'd get stuck doing the work. I had to be at my day job at 6 AM. Getting home after midnight got old fast.

My suggestions:

If you take the job tell them up front what days and times you WILL work.

DO NOT work in garden area, construction materials (lumber) or paint unless you enjoy pain. :mad:

Custom installs are also a PITA.

If you know anything about electrical, plumbing or power tools they're the easier places to be.

But one of the best areas is appliances. Not a lot of work or as many sales.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
All I know is a guy I worked with years ago. His wife worked at HD, and is now (or should I say for about 5-7 years now) making $200,000+ a year as store manager.

Seems like anything else. You have to pay your dues and climb the ladder.

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
Well I hope IF I do go for this I get SOME respect and work my way up the Ladder quick.

Kiss some you know what!:D

HaHaHaHaHaaaaaaaa

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I would try Costco. They have an excellent reputation. 20/20 did a segment on them and they seem to pay well and provide excellent benefits. The big problem is that there is a lot of competition to get in. :)

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
I would try Costco. They have an excellent reputation. 20/20 did a segment on them and they seem to pay well and provide excellent benefits. The big problem is that there is a lot of competition to get in. :)

I forgot about Costco!!

Competition of what Kind??

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
I have a friend that works at Costco in Vegas. They have excellent pay and benefits compare to other stores. The only thing is that they don't get any discounts on any item. You have to pay what everybody pay. You can't even buy the display or returned items with a small ding for a discount. The only thing you get as an employee is free yearly executive membership and you can give 2 more free regular membership to a relative or a friend. Excecutive membership is they give some money back if buy a lot of stuff from them witin a year.
I heard Best Buy give good discount to their employees.

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
I could still try I guess.

I'm just happy I'm coming from a job.

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
Well I have applied at two Lowes and asked in regards to Home Depot. :rolleyes:

Just waiting I guess? I'm just glad I have a current job to hold me steady!!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, man, good luck with Lowes! Have you checked into Costco? Sounds like a nice place to work.

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
How about a job in the car business? :D

My friend owns a car lot and he's CRAZY all the time!!!

I work for him slightly. I do advertising for him on a car web site. For every sale, I get $100 bucks. Extra money never hurt. :D

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Go work at a distrobution center.

You don't have to talk to anyone, it's awesome.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis