Any Vandersteen 2CE Sig. II owners here?

M

Miketuason

Audioholic Intern
What and how are your experience with this speaker, are they good for all around use like for HT and serious stereo listening?

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I own the 3a sigs but listened to the 2CE extensively when I was shopping so I'm pretty familiar with it. They are good for everything although they are a bit deficient in the high end (or bottom heavy take your pick) to my ears as well as Swerd who listened with me. They create an amazing 3D soundstage (with a small sweet spot) and play plenty loud for HT if your amp is big enough. The sweet spot is small about two human heads close together. If you plan on having people sit well of axis the soundstage suffers. Depending upon the size of the room 100 to 200 wpc will be plenty to sustain 100 dB. I went up to the 3a because of the high frequency improvement.

Now that was 2003. If I were in the 2 CE price range today I would go another direction. I would suggest you try to listen to the Salk Song towers or the Philharmonic speakers of Dennis Murphy. They sound great with flatter frequency response, image nearly as well with a much larger sweetspot, are similarly efficient and look better. I know Song Tower owners who are usually happy to permit auditions as well as Dennis Murphy who lives nearby. PM me if you are interested and near Maryland.

M

Miketuason

Audioholic Intern
Hi Dan, I just want to say that I ended up buying the 2CE Sig II and love it. For the size of my listening room 12'x12' the 2CE sig II are perfect. On top of that I bought a pair of the McIntosh MC601 600wpc mono blocks and the McIntosh C2300 tube pre. The bass of the Vandersteen is so tight and the soundstaging is excellent.

P

psyopwak

Enthusiast
Hi Dan, I just want to say that I ended up buying the 2CE Sig II and love it. For the size of my listening room 12'x12' the 2CE sig II are perfect. On top of that I bought a pair of the McIntosh MC601 600wpc mono blocks and the McIntosh C2300 tube pre. The bass of the Vandersteen is so tight and the soundstaging is excellent.
I have the 2CE Sig II as well. Bought them in 2012. I listened to as many speakers as I could within about a 90 mile radius of where I live near Akron, Ohio. That was about a dozen brands and quite a few more models. The 2CE's just edged out the Magnepan 1.7's by a small margin. But I do love them and still listen to them on many nights...

Great choice IMHO..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis