Any thoughts on the Marantz AV7702mkII.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
I barely can find reviews on this Processor, maybe is new, by any chance anyone has listen to this, good or bad how is the sound ? Outlaw has an offer with a 7 channel 7125 amp that's very tempting right now.

Any info. will be appreciated !

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You may be better off with an AVR-7010 and then add a two or three channel power amp if you feel the need to. There isn't much if any gain going with the AV7702 unless you have a real need for the balanced outputs.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
That was one of my options, also waiting on the new Yamaha 3060 to come out. But honestly I've never have separates before, my budget for this is about $2900. Any other suggestions.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
i am sort of in the same boat. I like the Yamaha 5100 and the Marantz you mentioned. Wondering if any have tried either and have hands on results.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
You can find a lot of reviews on the Yamaha, is on the Marantz I can't find much. I just never had separate before. I see a lot of potential for multiple speakers setup

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I understand why one wants a prepro instead of AVR, I started with the AV7005, and then AV8801 but most likely will be replacing it with an AVR in a year or two as I found absolutely no practical (let alone audio) benefits. Also on the practical side, if you use only 4 channels of those AVR for the surrounds, there will be no power benefit to get a 7 channel power amp such as the 7125. You will get more real gain by going with a more powerful 2 or 3 channel power amps for the L,R,C where it counts most, especially if you use the same system to enjoy HD music.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
IMO the sound quality of the 7702 pre-pro is as good as any $5K pre-pro or $5K AVR.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Another reason I was considering this setup , is because a long time ago I bought a Denon 5801 or "something like that " cant remember the model, but it was expensive, it lasted more than 8 years , but when it broke down I had no choice but to replace it, with separates, you don't have to replace everything. I see that as an advantage. So many choices !!! I still want to see the new Yamaha 3060 next month !!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another reason I was considering this setup , is because a long time ago I bought a Denon 5801 or "something like that " cant remember the model, but it was expensive, it lasted more than 8 years , but when it broke down I had no choice but to replace it, with separates, you don't have to replace everything. I see that as an advantage. So many choices !!! I still want to see the new Yamaha 3060 next month !!!
An AVR is basically the same as a pre-pro with internal amps. Just don't buy a $5K AVR. Something with Audyssey XT32 and dual SubEQ is all you need IMO.

If a $2K pre-pro breaks, you would have to replace it the same as you would have to replace a broken $2K AVR.

Marantz 7008 for $800.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CS4X8S2/ref=psdc_14269301_t2_B00MJ9K6IG

It' a lot easier to replace an $800 AVR (that sounds as good as a $3K pre-pro) than to replace a $3K pre-pro. :D

But I understand if you want "separates". How it makes you FEEL is salient IMO.

Last edited:
D

DanH72

Audiophyte
I barely can find reviews on this Processor, maybe is new, by any chance anyone has listen to this, good or bad how is the sound ? Outlaw has an offer with a 7 channel 7125 amp that's very tempting right now.

Any info. will be appreciated !

I have the 7702 mkII pre-amp and am... so far... quite happy with it considering I would love to have a reasonably priced pre-amp that did more than 7.1.4 processing. One can dream, can't one? ;)

My main amps are built by ATI, which manufactures most all of Outlaw Audio's models (as well as some very big name audiophile brands). Solid as a tank.

Marantz did release the DTS: X / Neural: X update a few months ago and is polishing up a second firmware that will fix the cross-format upmixing error (where Dolby Surround only goes to Dolby encoded audio, and DTS Neural: X only goes to DTS encoded audio - both always applied to PCM).

Since they are releasing a 7703 in the next few months, I would assume the 7702 mkII will be dropping in price. Given the not-so-important feature updates to the announced specs. for the 7703, I bet I'll get at least a couple more years out of it before the next big product update (hopefully, with more rendered speaker outputs).

Check out AV Science and see if they're starting to drop their already competitive price even more due to the upcoming new model! :D That's where I bought mine. Fully authorized and very helpful.

If your room cannot easily handle back surround speakers, you can also switch to Front Wides and continue using the four overhead or height speakers. This does not apply to Yamaha products.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The 5801 is very expensive, so I can see why you felt that way. You can get the SR7010 now for the same price as the AV7702MKII. With the 7010 you gain the internal amps that can drive all your surround speakers easily and you will be giving up the balanced I/Os that you won't be using with the 7125 anyway. You can get a much beefier 3 channel amp than the 7125 probably for the same money.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
Any thought on the new Anthem Preamp? The room correction system looks pretty good other than the sub 30hz portion. I have heard good things aboou their build quality and sound for stereo music which is probably 60% of what I do.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
Their ARC is highly rated but could also be a little overrated as people tend to exaggerate to make their points. For sound quality, I highly doubt they will sound any better or different than the Marantz 6000 and 7000 series. I use an Anthem power amp for the L,R channels just for a little more headroom, otherwise it basically sounds the same as my multichannel amp and my previous AVRs. I have listened to a few other higher end Anthem prepro/amps and found no magic in them, they simply did their job transparently.

As I mentioned before, ADTG has higher end products including a 5308, a $7K Denon AVP, ATI amps and a lowly AVR3312(or 3?) and he had no concerns running some of his high end speakers on that lowly Denon AVR. There are good reasons why some experienced audioholics or even audiophiles after spending part of their fortunes on high end systems would eventually settle on much lower end products including mass produced AVRs.

I will never say there is absolutely no difference in sound quality between amps operating within their limits, just that I have not experienced easily discernible differences among those I compared. When I did hear something different subjectively speaking, I felt the subtle differences did not allow me to say one is worse than the other, just that I could say I prefer one over the other. In a blind test, one could be surprised to find out which one they preferred.
Thanks Peng. Sort of what I figured. I can't tell any difference in power amps as long as they have enough headroom. My Crown XLS2502 drives my Salk speakers very well and I am fully satisfied with that part of my system.

I can hear differences in receivers and pre-PO's from brand to brand. To me, Yamaha has always been a bit laid back, and my Dennon's have always been a bit more "in your face" dynamic sounding. Onkyo seems to me to fit between the two. I have never used Marantz or heard Anthem.

The biggest difference is in the various other features like the room correction software and other connection options. I really like the fact that the Anthem uses DTS Play-Fi. That is about the only way to stream hi def music sources like Tidal and others. Things like Air Play are limited to CD quality. Seems the Yamaha has the best interface apps and has the ability to transmit Bluetooth and has some enhancement for compressed music files, no idea if it is any good. And Yamaha has a solid reputation for quality. I like the Marantz sound and the Audessy correction for the subs.

At the end of the day, I just have to select the one that has the most things I want. Of course I am also considering the AVR's, I have a Salk center channel speaker I am not using and if I get an AVR I don't have to buy another amp, assuming the AVR can drive the HT-Center and keep up with that massive power in the Crown (over 700 watts into 4 ohms). Happy for all the discussion on here and all the advice. But in the end, you have to get what you want and like.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
At the end of the day, I just have to select the one that has the most things I want. Of course I am also considering the AVR's, I have a Salk center channel speaker I am not using and if I get an AVR I don't have to buy another amp, assuming the AVR can drive the HT-Center and keep up with that massive power in the Crown (over 700 watts into 4 ohms). Happy for all the discussion on here and all the advice. But in the end, you have to get what you want and like.
I agree, that's why I deleted (too late unfortunately) my post that I felt was highly subjective. If you are going to end up with an AVR in the end, you can't expect it to keep up with the 700W Crown if you actually need anything close to that kind of power, and I am sure you know that already. Chances are depending on your listening habits and acoustic environment, you may only need a fraction of that with peaks to a couple hundred watts. Besides, lots of center speakers are only rated to 200-300W maximum anyway.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Decisions, decisions !!! I guess that's part of the hobby, so many new products coming out this next few months, I think I'm going to wait a month or two and see what is new out there...

Also thanks for all the comments

D

dave-t

Enthusiast
I am in the same boat, I am replacing my current AVR which is a Denon 4308ci which is perfect working condition but I want Audyssey XT32 and i am going to add some more speakers and do an Atmos 5.1.4 or 5.2.4. The new Marantz 7703 is going to support Atmos 7.2.4 , have capacity of an Audyssey iPhone/Android app that is going to replace Audyssey Pro for $19.99. I read October/November release. i already an running separate amps so I though a processor would be a better route this time around. Only problem is that i am going to have to by another 2 channel amp to get the .4 part of the Atmos. I am currently running 7.1. Anybody know when the replacement for the 8802a is coming out as well?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am in the same boat, I am replacing my current AVR which is a Denon 4308ci which is perfect working condition but I want Audyssey XT32 and i am going to add some more speakers and do an Atmos 5.1.4 or 5.2.4. The new Marantz 7703 is going to support Atmos 7.2.4 , have capacity of an Audyssey iPhone/Android app that is going to replace Audyssey Pro for $19.99. I read October/November release. i already an running separate amps so I though a processor would be a better route this time around. Only problem is that i am going to have to by another 2 channel amp to get the .4 part of the Atmos. I am currently running 7.1. Anybody know when the replacement for the 8802a is coming out as well?
I'd suggest to save the money and upgrade speakers/sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis