Any Suggestions For Ipod Integration to HT System?

J

jbarraclough

Audiophyte
I am looking for a simple docking station for my iPod that I can permanently hook up to my HT system. I would like it to have a GUI that is easy to use and see on my TV screen. RF remote would be nice, but I could bury a good IR style dock in the cabinet and use my RF Universal Remote. There are so many different manufacturers and models out there to choose from that my head is spinning. Any advice from the "experts" out there?

JB

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Most AVRs specify which docking station you should use. What AVR do you have?
I am looking for a simple docking station for my iPod that I can permanently hook up to my HT system. I would like it to have a GUI that is easy to use and see on my TV screen. RF remote would be nice, but I could bury a good IR style dock in the cabinet and use my RF Universal Remote. There are so many different manufacturers and models out there to choose from that my head is spinning. Any advice from the "experts" out there?

JB

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Yamaha’s iPod dock is YDS-10 for about $79 and it hooks up to Yamaha’s RX-V461, RX-V661 and RX-V1800 if not others.

Denon’e iPod deck is ASD-1R for about $129 and it works with Dennon’s AVR-3808CI if not others. Denon also has two other more expensive iPod docks too.

I read about them in a Crutchfield catalog.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I use the YDS-10; well it is hooked up anyway. What I really use is a 500 gb external hard-drive connected to my PS3 with all my music downloaded into WAV files. For non critical listening, I just do a wireless stream from my computer to my PS3.

J

jbarraclough

Audiophyte
I have an Onkyo SR605 that sends signal to my Panasonic Plasma via HDMI.

B

bongobob

Audioholic
At the risk of getting beat up, here's my suggestion:
Don't do it! Unless you have Wav files on that pod you'll be listening to a relatively small portion of the frequencies that were available on the original source. On any decent system the sound will be quite poor.
But, to each their own.......:D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
They say you can rip at a high enough bitrate to the Ipod to get good SQ but that just didnt do it for me.
At the risk of getting beat up, here's my suggestion:
Don't do it! Unless you have Wav files on that pod you'll be listening to a relatively small portion of the frequencies that were available on the original source. On any decent system the sound will be quite poor.
But, to each their own.......:D

B

bongobob

Audioholic
They say you can rip at a high enough bitrate to the Ipod to get good SQ but that just didnt do it for me.
Agreed. It's the main reason I've stayed away from pods. I recently picked up a Meizu player that handles lossless FLAC files. I plug that puppy right into my system and it sounds great! I've dumped too much money into this hobby to compromise....

J

jamie2112

Banned
Any tube pre will make a huge difference in the sound of your ipod. There are tube preamps specifically made for the ipod and I am sure you can get one for under 300. Like I said it will make the sterile sound of any mp3 player sound warm and listenable at any volume. Happy hunting...

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
can you explain to me how a tube amp is going to fill in those cropped freq's. I like the the tube sound, but if its garbage in its garbage out.

J

jamie2112

Banned
?????

Can you tell me how to get a warmer sound from the ipod, because the tube buffer makes the crappy sounding mp3s sound as good as they can. Yes mp3 is not the best sound but the tube buffer for 175 is the cheapest route to go to warm up the ipod mp3 format. The tubeman fathead for ipods is 799 and from what I have read it does exactly the same thing as the yaquin but for 525 more.No thanks..

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Can you tell me how to get a warmer sound from the ipod, because the tube buffer makes the crappy sounding mp3s sound as good as they can. Yes mp3 is not the best sound but the tube buffer for 175 is the cheapest route to go to warm up the ipod mp3 format. The tubeman fathead for ipods is 799 and from what I have read it does exactly the same thing as the yaquin but for 525 more.No thanks..
ok, a warmer crappy sound. I just love all the marketing based on the ipod, i mean even krell http://www.krellonline.com/krell_component.php?id=108&page=KID is into it. A good set of speakers will show the short commings of poor recordings and no amp is going to correct that. As I said i love the tube sound, grew up with it, but your being marketed.

sorry to the op for the highjack, as to this was a question on ipod intergration not amplification.

Last edited:
J

jamie2112

Banned
You were right

You are right crap in crap out. I just last night went over to a buddys house as he just got the yaqin tube buffer. Yes it warms the sound up but so many freq are missing. All it does is warm up the mp3 format. Bandphan you are right it still sounded like crap. I guess marketing is why all these people believe the hype about making ipods hi fidelity is true. I am sorry for the OP for going sideways on the post...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis