any possible way to remotely control volume?

G

Griffin.R

Audioholic Intern
Im back with another question that may not have a fix, after adding to my system with the new addition of a tv on its way i am realizing it would be nice to control my speaker volume remotely so i will start with my setup.
Inputs
sony cd/dvd player dvp-nc85h 5 disc changer which has a remote to change track/disc and all things for dvd run through av cables because its old enough where its HDMI output and optical only run video
an ipod classic run by auxiliary cable split to left right audio
playstation 3 run through optical
and soon to be samsung smart TV probably run through optical as well
These all input to my yamaha RX-V371 AV receiver which i do have a remote for as well which runs volume but at this time does not affect my system and maybe there is a way to change that but it does function for input.
i have audio cables plugged into audio out on this which runs to my Bose 901 series v equalizer amplifier input
the equalizer output runs to my yamaha m-80 power amplifier that then outputs to my pair of Bose 901 direct/reflecting loud speakers and a pioneer sub woofer

so this is my system (yes i am aware its not great quality but most of it was from family or fit my budget) so the problem is the only volume control is the 2 dials on my m-80 amp, the equalizer base and treble slides, and the power level on the back of my amp. is there any way to make my receiver remote and volume level actually affect my system or shall i be remote less for all of eternity (or until i buy a new amp)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. Do you have any speakers connected to the Yamaha RX-V371? If not, you could connect the headphone jack to your Bose instead of the fixed-level analog outputs and control the volume using the RX-V371 remote control. You'd connect to the headphone jack using an adapter. I'm pretty sure that they sell 6.35mm (1/4") adapters, but I didn't happen to see any during my quick search. In case they don't, you can use a cable like this for a 3.5mm stereo jack and adapter like this shown below.

G

Griffin.R

Audioholic Intern
im uncertain about your hookup process, the bose run speaker wire not audio
and if i did it that way wouldnt my amp be doing nothing? therefore i could just connect the speakers to the reciever and volume would work but then they arent amped
and no at this time no speakers or subs are connected to the yamaha reciever, i did try to connect a sub to the receiver a week ago and it played no sound but other speakers on amp still worked so i think the audio out i took negates factor of other speakers connected to the reciever

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
im uncertain about your hookup process, the bose run speaker wire not audio
Question - how do you have your Yamaha RX-V371 connected to your Bose? I thought that you were using the analog audio outputs (which aren't controlled by the volume setting on the 371).

G

Griffin.R

Audioholic Intern
ok, i dont know if you have a way to view the back of one of those recievers but maybe there is on yamaha website but i have the audio out left and right jacks connected to my bose equalizer input then output is to my yamaha m-80 amp then that connects to the bose using speaker cable

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
ok, i dont know if you have a way to view the back of one of those recievers but maybe there is on yamaha website but i have the audio out left and right jacks connected to my bose equalizer input then output is to my yamaha m-80 amp then that connects to the bose using speaker cable
Okay, that's what I thought. Instead of using the analog audio outputs on the back of the 371, you'd use the headphone jack and the adapter that I posted. Notice how the adapter has the same left/right RCA jacks as what you are using now? You'd connect those up the same way as you currently have it, except that you'd plug it into the headphone jack because that jack is controlled by the volume setting on the 371.

G

Griffin.R

Audioholic Intern
so therefore the output level is controlled as if its going to a head phone but it inputs to equalizer, and you dont think that in the process of passing through equalizer and going to my amplifier it wont turnout same way it is now? because even when i turn volume on receiver now decibels go up or down but no impact is made

edit: that headphone jack looks small for this receiver im on website trying to find larger let me know if you find one

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
edit: that headphone jack looks small for this receiver
The two options that I provided will work with your headphone jack. Just using the 3.5mm-to-RCA cable won't work, but that's why I also included the 3.5mm-to-6.35mm adapter for that cable.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The reason you cannot control your volume via the receiver is because your audio outs on your receiver are before your volume control. You're lucky that all your sources are analog because if you were to use a digital input (such as an optical input), it wouldn't go out that audio out.

You need some way to get your Bose eq into the signal path at line level* for it to work properly and with your current setup, that's not an option. What Adam gave you is a workaround that, while not ideal, is the only possible way to do what you want with what you have.

* Between the preamp and the power amp. That audio out you're using is before the preamp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis