Any opinions on these Hi end speakers

C

canelli

Audioholic
I have found the SX-6300/R to be a fantastic speaker. When work slows down, I will write up a 6300/R vs CM9 vs Kef R300 shoot out / review.

Last edited by a moderator:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks.. Can't wait to get them in my system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The waiting is the hardest part, isn't it? :D

2 systems: Bedroom & HT room.

Bedroom:
Sierra2 (2) + Rythmik (1)
Parasound Preamp + AT2002 + Marantz CD player

HT:
RBH SX-6300 (2) + SX-661C center (1) + SX-61 surround (2) + SX-1010N (2)
Denon X4000 + AT1804
HTPC (4TB x 4 = 16TB HDD) for all your HD movies and TV shows via XBMC.

Denon X4000 will power 5 speakers
AT1804 will power dual SX-1010N subs & actively bi-amp SX-6300/R.

You can also stream your every day favorite lossless music files from iPad to the Denon X4000 via AirPlay (which is what I do exclusively since I don't even use a CD player or BD player).

Actually your HTPC can stream all your HD movies, HD TV shows, and Lossless music files. :D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks for all that info. May be a while before I can get all my stuff complete.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Still waiting on the Speakers.. Yes the wait is hard.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
It was louder. Yes the Polk's are more efficient. But I was stressing the fuller sound coming out of the tower vs the bookshelf. Guess the comparison is common since and I should have thought of this before going to a smaller bookshelf system..
In any case. I think I am about to pull the trigger on the RBH Towers.
I know I'm late to the party but I want you to know this. The human ear is not flat when it comes to frequency respsonse, and when you increase the volume, the 100Hz ~ 2.5KHz range is greatly effected (relative to the sub 100Hz and after around 10KHz). A 3.5 dB bump will bring out more mid bass and contributor to a fuller sound. This is why for comparison sakes reviewers match by dB rather then input voltage (volume level). Speaker efficiency alters the playback level and changes not only the output characteristic of the speakers, but the preceived response of the listeners ears.

See Image.
http://www.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/ath-top.png

And to quote the late WmAx, you can just eq perfectly flat clean speakers (like your acsends) to sound as you want.

Either way congrats on the purchase, I'm getting the upgrade bug myself.

SheepStar

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And to quote the late WmAx, you can just eq perfectly flat clean speakers (like your acsends) to sound as you want.
The late WmAx? You mean he passed away?

I recall he persistently preached that, but the rebuttal was that when you EQ the on-axis flat, you may concurrently adversely affect the off-axis, which also contributes to the overall sound quality.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The late WmAx? You mean he passed away?

I recall he persistently preached that, but the rebuttal was that when you EQ the on-axis flat, you may concurrently adversely affect the off-axis, which also contributes to the overall sound quality.
There was a thread on his death in the Steam Vent.

This was using Near Field monitors (EQ Flat), his main setp was omnipolar. I don't understand the off axis versus on axis, but generally the off axis response should be similar changes versus the non EQ'd speaker (why would the cabinet and room all of a sudden change the way they manipulate frequencies when they have only been given a bump or reduction in amplitude?).

SheepStar

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There was a thread on his death in the Steam Vent.
I missed that. Always sad to see members passing - DenPureSound & WmAx. :(

This was using Near Field monitors (EQ Flat), his main setp was omnipolar. I don't understand the off axis versus on axis, but generally the off axis response should be similar changes versus the non EQ'd speaker (why would the cabinet and room all of a sudden change the way they manipulate frequencies when they have only been given a bump or reduction in amplitude?).
SheepStar
From what I've heard, changing the on-axis FR using EQ will also affect the off-axis at the same time. It's like a ripple effect or "butterfly effect". :D

I don't know. Perhaps this is why some people just don't like the sound of flat on-axis FR after equalizing. Also the reason some people believe they should only EQ from 20Hz-200Hz, not above.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I missed that. Always sad to see members passing - DenPureSound & WmAx. :(

From what I've heard, changing the on-axis FR using EQ will also affect the off-axis at the same time. It's like a ripple effect or "butterfly effect". :D

I don't know. Perhaps this is why some people just don't like the sound of flat on-axis FR after equalizing. Also the reason some people believe they should only EQ from 20Hz-200Hz, not above.
Oh I understand it will affect the off axis, but it would make sense to assume (here comes that *** again) that the changes on axis would be directly related and proportional to the off axis. Either way, not worth splitting hairs over.

However while I have your attention, I'm going to be moving again in the next couple months back home (saving for a house). While I'm there my new Yamaha RX-V1075 will have use of a room that can hold 7 speakers (currently have 4). My Energy fronts and Mirage rears will move to full surround duty (C-1 back surround, Nanosat side surround). I'll be heading out to audition some speakers this weekend, Mostly Paradigm, Monitor Audio (which seems well priced for what they are), Def Tech, and anything else I can find at the local places. Any Advice for speakers to check out? I prefer a tamer top end (Energy has a Metal dome tweeter, but it's not harsh). I know a room is going to affect that, but a warmer sound signature is to my liking. If you know brands that are usually stocked in store that might match up please post.

SheepStar

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh I understand it will affect the off axis, but it would make sense to assume (here comes that *** again) that the changes on axis would be directly related and proportional to the off axis. Either way, not worth splitting hairs over.

However while I have your attention, I'm going to be moving again in the next couple months back home (saving for a house). While I'm there my new Yamaha RX-V1075 will have use of a room that can hold 7 speakers (currently have 4). My Energy fronts and Mirage rears will move to full surround duty (C-1 back surround, Nanosat side surround). I'll be heading out to audition some speakers this weekend, Mostly Paradigm, Monitor Audio (which seems well priced for what they are), Def Tech, and anything else I can find at the local places. Any Advice for speakers to check out? I prefer a tamer top end (Energy has a Metal dome tweeter, but it's not harsh). I know a room is going to affect that, but a warmer sound signature is to my liking. If you know brands that are usually stocked in store that might match up please post.

SheepStar
I love RBH, but they are probably not as readily available as Def Tech or Golden Ear, which both sound great to me, although it seems many people dis them completely. :D

Really, back when I owned Def Tech, I didn't care about measurements, on-axis, off-axis, cabinet resonance, etc., and I just enjoyed the heck out of the Def Tech (BP7000SC). I compared it to Revel Salon2, B&W 800D, Linkwitz Orion, KEF 207/2, and the only speaker I thought unequivocally sounded subjectively better than my Def Tech was the RBH T2 towers.

So, yeah, if all you care about is the best sound for you personally and not care what others think about measurements and all that, then audition Def Tech, Golden Ear, and as many others as you can.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I love RBH, but they are probably not as readily available as Def Tech or Golden Ear, which both sound great to me, although it seems many people dis them completely. :D

Really, back when I owned Def Tech, I didn't care about measurements, on-axis, off-axis, cabinet resonance, etc., and I just enjoyed the heck out of the Def Tech (BP7000SC). I compared it to Revel Salon2, B&W 800D, Linkwitz Orion, KEF 207/2, and the only speaker I thought unequivocally sounded subjectively better than my Def Tech was the RBH T2 towers.

So, yeah, if all you care about is the best sound for you personally and not care what others think about measurements and all that, then audition Def Tech, Golden Ear, and as many others as you can.
I've read that DT has a fairly bright sound signature, so I'm going to keep that in mind when I look at some. I'm going out this saturday to just listen to as much as I can and see where everything sits. I'll make a thread containing my findings.

SheepStar

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've read that DT has a fairly bright sound signature, so I'm going to keep that in mind when I look at some. I'm going out this saturday to just listen to as much as I can and see where everything sits. I'll make a thread containing my findings.

SheepStar
Very nice. That is always interesting.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

SheepStar
From the DT's I have heard, the Mythos supertowers series and the BP8080's did not sound bright to me and I spent weeks demoing these speakers. I guess it all depends on the room setup and the source equipment playing the tunes. We just happened to like the GE Triton 2's better.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
From the DT's I have heard, the Mythos supertowers series and the BP8080's did not sound bright to me and I spent weeks demoing these speakers. I guess it all depends on the room setup and the source equipment playing the tunes. We just happened to like the GE Triton 2's better.
Who's we?

I'm only going off what I have read from user review in various places on the internet, but it was mentioned multiple times. I know I side on the warmer sound, so I'll know if it's too much for me when I hear it. Hopefully they'll let me get stuck in with some speakers and tunes so I have some time to let my ears adjust.

SheepStar

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Who's we?

I'm only going off what I have read from user review in various places on the internet, but it was mentioned multiple times. I know I side on the warmer sound, so I'll know if it's too much for me when I hear it. Hopefully they'll let me get stuck in with some speakers and tunes so I have some time to let my ears adjust.

SheepStar
Yeah, the best way to audition speakers is to do it with zero notion and expectation. It's like going to the movies after reading a bunch of user reviews. :D

We know how much bias can affect us.

So just try your best to clear your mind of all the hearsay. The speakers are neither bright nor warm. You have a clean canvas for your mind to paint. ;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, the best way to audition speakers is to do it with zero notion and expectation. It's like going to the movies after reading a bunch of user reviews. :D

We know how much bias can affect us.

So just try your best to clear your mind of all the hearsay. The speakers are neither bright nor warm. You have a clean canvas for your mind to paint. ;)
Objectivity, I wouldn't go anywhere without it.

SheepStar

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Who's we?

SheepStar
My boss of 30 years,:cool: the head cheese,:rolleyes: the one that's always right,;) the one you never argue with because in the end you lose :eek:, that we :D

I'm listening to my Tritions right now in 2 chl to some Keb Mo, ah clean and lush

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
My boss of 30 years,:cool: the head cheese,:rolleyes: the one that's always right,;) the one you never argue with because in the end you lose :eek:, that we :D

I'm listening to my Tritions right now in 2 chl to some Keb Mo, ah clean and lush
You have the tag Audioholic General. Something tells me you're a writer here? If so, I argue with your boss all the time.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis