Any limitations using HDMI vs Analog?

gregcss

gregcss

Audioholic Intern
There has got to be a thread on this already but have not found it yet. I am going to setup an HT in the next couple weeks and wanted to know which connection would provide the best audio from bluray movies, HDMI or Analog.

I will be using a Panasonic BD85 bluray player and a Marantz SR5005 receiver, both decode all of the latest audio formats. Will decoding the audio at the bluray and using analog cables to send the signal to the receiver provide any better (or worse) sound than sending raw data to the receiver using HDMI and having the receiver decode the signal?

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Shouldn't be an audible difference.

If the DACs (digital to analog converter chips) are similar quality in both the player and receiver it doesn't matter.

The are a couple of considerations however.

First, analog interconnects can pick up noise that may end up audible once it goes through the amplifier.

Second, if you use an HDMI cable to run the audio and video wire management is simple. It can be a real chore to run eight audio cables and some sort of video neatly between components.

Third, boils down to cost. A savy shopper can pick up a 3' HDMI for >$6 online. You won't get close to that with shielded analog cables.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. I'll give you my two cents worth. HDMI is easier because it's a single cable, and I like the digital connection better. If your blu-ray player had noticeably better DACs, then maybe the analog would be better. However, and I speak without researching the details on these, I doubt that your BD85 has better DACs than the SR5005. Both are good units, and the SR5005 is a year newer (I think).

So, my vote is for HDMI.

[EDIT - I type TOO SLOW. :D I'll just say that I agree with Cruise.]

gregcss

gregcss

Audioholic Intern
Thanks to you both, I'll go with HDMI for movies. With the given components would it be better to allow the SR5005 decode 2ch music as well?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
With the given components would it be better to allow the SR5005 decode 2ch music as well?
It would be easier because you'd just run the one HDMI cable, and I think that the audio will be at least as good. I can't say if it would be any better, but I doubt that it would be any worse.

gregcss

gregcss

Audioholic Intern
It would be easier because you'd just run the one HDMI cable, and I think that the audio will be at least as good. I can't say if it would be any better, but I doubt that it would be any worse.
I'll listen to both HDMI and analog to see if there is a difference since I already have the cables though i need to wait a week or so before the SR5005 is delivered.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis