Any experience with Sonos in-wall speakers

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Installing a pair of Sonos in-wall architectural speakers in a small room for streaming music using the Sonos amp. They will be in an inside wall with no insulation in the wall. Asked Sonos technical support if I should sound treat the wall cavity with insulation etc. To improve the sound and was told, no, leave the cavity empty. Erin had a review of in-wall speakers and found the ones without their own speaker box sounded and tested better. That’s the Sonos speakers setup. I’m having an electrician install them along with some other work so it’s not a DIY where I can experiment With treatment etc. Will use the Sonos Trueplay function on the app to calibrate once they’ve installed but can’t mess with them once they’re in the wall. Anyone have experience with the Sonos in-wall speakers? Did you put in a hollow wall or with insulation? How do they sound?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Installing a pair of Sonos in-wall architectural speakers in a small room for streaming music using the Sonos amp. They will be in an inside wall with no insulation in the wall. Asked Sonos technical support if I should sound treat the wall cavity with insulation etc. To improve the sound and was told, no, leave the cavity empty. Erin had a review of in-wall speakers and found the ones without their own speaker box sounded and tested better. That’s the Sonos speakers setup. I’m having an electrician install them along with some other work so it’s not a DIY where I can experiment With treatment etc. Will use the Sonos Trueplay function on the app to calibrate once they’ve installed but can’t mess with them once they’re in the wall. Anyone have experience with the Sonos in-wall speakers? Did you put in a hollow wall or with insulation? How do they sound?
There is virtually no useful data on those speakers. The problem is that due to design, all installations will have significantly different performance.

Problems of this design are bleeding from the wall space to regions of the house you don't want. The problem is that you can't know the effect of a back box, without knowing the T/S parameters of the bass mid driver.

My instincts are to put Poly fill or fiberglass insulation in the wall space the speaker is placed in. That will reduce bleed, but more importantly it will significantly reduce reflections from the wall behind the speaker being reflected through the cone and causing peaks and nulls in the response.

I don't think I would personally cut holes in the sheet rock with very limited idea of the results.

I do have an in wall system, but I modelled it as part of the design, and yes, the speakers are enclosed. I also made measurements.

So I think it really comes down to what level of performance you are looking for. If it is something just to watch TV programs with, it may fit the bill. If you are intending the system for critical listening with high fidelity results, then this in not the way to go about it. So your expectations are critical to whether you will be happy or not.

I would advise a sub and a fairly high crossover, at 100 to 120 Hz. That will help a lot, as most of your major problems are likely to be below 120 Hz.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
There is virtually no useful data on those speakers. The problem is that due to design, all installations will have significantly different performance.

Problems of this design are bleeding from the wall space to regions of the house you don't want. The problem is that you can't know the effect of a back box, without knowing the T/S parameters of the bass mid driver.

My instincts are to put Poly fill or fiberglass insulation in the wall space the speaker is placed in. That will reduce bleed, but more importantly it will significantly reduce reflections from the wall behind the speaker being reflected through the cone and causing peaks and nulls in the response.

I don't think I would personally cut holes in the sheet rock with very limited idea of the results.

I do have an in wall system, but I modelled it as part of the design, and yes, the speakers are enclosed. I also made measurements.

So I think it really comes down to what level of performance you are looking for. If it is something just to watch TV programs with, it may fit the bill. If you are intending the system for critical listening with high fidelity results, then this in not the way to go about it. So your expectations are critical to whether you will be happy or not.

I would advise a sub and a fairly high crossover, at 100 to 120 Hz. That will help a lot, as most of your major problems are likely to be below 120 Hz.
Thanks for your thoughts it confirms my thoughts about installing some insulation. I like the poly fill idea. Not for critical listening. It’s all about streaming music in the very small and already crowded space and hiding the setup so my wife is happy with the look. she doesn’t care about music in the room but understands my passion/obsession and is fine As long as nothing is seen or in the way. Will paint the grills so the speakers basically disappear. Replacing a Sonos Move I have on a hook on the wall which works in the space but I have to keep placing it on the charging ring Every few days which is a pain and getting it off the wall will make everyone happy. Have been looking for a while and got a great deal on new speakers and streaming amp l Will mount on the wall in the closet behind the room and control with my phone or iPad. All fit my budget with a full warranty and a free trial period just in case it doesn’t meet my needs. When I’m done the only rooms I frequent in the house without music will be the kitchen and the dining room so…

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for your thoughts it confirms my thoughts about installing some insulation. I like the poly fill idea. Not for critical listening. It’s all about streaming music in the very small and already crowded space and hiding the setup so my wife is happy with the look. she doesn’t care about music in the room but understands my passion/obsession and is fine As long as nothing is seen or in the way. Will paint the grills so the speakers basically disappear. Replacing a Sonos Move I have on a hook on the wall which works in the space but I have to keep placing it on the charging ring Every few days which is a pain and getting it off the wall will make everyone happy. Have been looking for a while and got a great deal on new speakers and streaming amp l Will mount on the wall in the closet behind the room and control with my phone or iPad. All fit my budget with a full warranty and a free trial period just in case it doesn’t meet my needs. When I’m done the only rooms I frequent in the house without music will be the kitchen and the dining room so…
I have Paradigm in-walls in the living room and in-ceiling in the rec-room. Recommended installation was to have a full 4" of insulation above and below the speaker extending 12 to 18" and then a single layer of insulation in behind the speaker. Fiberglass or Roxul will suffice but poly-fil might be more dense.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I have Paradigm in-walls in the living room and in-ceiling in the rec-room. Recommended installation was to have a full 4" of insulation above and below the speaker extending 12 to 18" and then a single layer of insulation in behind the speaker. Fiberglass or Roxul will suffice but poly-fil might be more dense.
Thanks will try that with the poly-fil

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the feedback. Installed the system today with 2 inch fiberglass insulation behind the speakers. Couldn’t find poly-fil in time And had to complete as we redo our master bath. Sounds great can’t wait till the rest of the room is finished so I can crank tunes to get ready every morning before work. Music is my equivalent of morning coffee. Don’t need caffeine just Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Chile slight return.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis