Any Experience with nOhr Le Amp ll's?

B

BroonsBane

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Hi all. I'm in the market for a pair of sanely priced monoblocks and have been considering the nOhr Le Amp ll's.

Does anyone here have any experience with this amp and/or nOhr itself ie. the company, speakers.

Any advice most welcome and appreciated!

Mike</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>No direct experience, but nOrh is a small company based in Thailand, owned by an expat Yank. They make weird little speakers using expensive ScanSpeak drivers, and shaped like a traditional drum &amp; made from hardwood, pottery(!), or marble. Kind of a high-end audiophile cult outfit, IMO.

Sanely priced monoblocks from less exotic sources like Outlaw (in mysterious Massachusetts) might be a safer bet.</font>

B

BroonsBane

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Hi. I've check out their speakers and read a few reviews just for interests sake. Odd looking to say the least but rather favourable reviews.

I''m also considering Outlaw M200's and have bought an ICBM from them last year. The only detractor in me purchasing from them again is their insistence on using UPS ground shipment to Canada and the associated exhorbitant brokerage fees UPS charges for deliveries to Canada.

Granted, buying from &quot;mysterious Massachusetts&quot; may be less risky &nbsp;but comes with a price. Now if only i'd get that big lottery win to make this all a moot point!! &nbsp; &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Micheal Barnes (of nOhr) is a good guy, and I know lots of guys that have loved those drum speakers. &nbsp;The LeAmp II has had some problems, though, mostly related to the financial problems of one of the major suppliers of components. &nbsp;MB has lost thousands of $'s and many months of time dealing with this.

I preordered 3 of the new LAII's sometime around April- I finally gave up around October or November. &nbsp;Always when I asked I was told it'd be another month, etc etc, and nothing ever happened. &nbsp;Eventually it even became hard to contact him (he's been very busy w/ nOrhTech, his computer business). &nbsp;It sounds like finally some amps are shipping, but there have been some QC issues with that first batch. &nbsp;To his credit, MB has apparently moved quickly to resolve the problems, but it's still frustrating that a product that's taken that long still isn't 100%.

Someday, if all these issues are ironed out, I may check into them again- they are very cool looking &amp; powerful amps. &nbsp;But right at the moment you're probably better off checking into something else. &nbsp;You may even want to try the MB-100 from IRD; this is the amp that was originally badged for nOrh &amp; sold as the &quot;Le Amp.&quot; &nbsp;Curt Wishman of IRD lives in Thailand, too, but they have a central warehouse in the US that handles distribution and service. &nbsp;From all I've heard he's a standup guy and his products well built and very nice, especially at the very low prices they sell for.</font>

B

BroonsBane

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the great information. I'd heard somewhere that they were having some delays and shipping problems but hadn't heard about the QC problems. I'm going to look into the MB-100's you mention and see what I can dig up.

Thanks again
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis