Any DIY Amp Builders? Recs?

• Thread starter slipperybidness
  • Start date
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
OK, I know most of y'all are DIY speaker builders. Any amp builders on here?

I'm looking into these, any experience or advice? I realize a price gap here, but curious for comments none the less. Cheaper is good.

This one seems interesting.
Single Ended eXperimenter's Kit 2.1 for Headphones and Sensitive Speakers

And this one
DIYTube Dynaco ST35 Tube Amplifier Kit Great Amp 4 iPod | eBay

But, for less money, and I really like the fit and finish of the oddwatt.
OddWatt

The low budget contenders:
Model 16LS Stereo Integrated Tube Amplifier
OddWatt

Anybody have opinions?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
If you're doing it for the experience, that's one thing and would be a nice experience.

However, the amplifier's power output is approximately 2 watts RMS per channel at 10% THD at 500Hz... All for over $500:eek:
Hardly seems worth it....and don't be fooled by the pseudo coolness of tubes.
There is a good reason we don't use them anymore.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Rickster and Swerd. Thanks for the links! That's 2 more resources I haven't seen so I will add them to my list to investigate.

Yes, this is mostly the experience-building build. I have a great book on audiophile projects that I will move to after this build. It is hard-core, etching my own PCBs and all.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Dayton sells some kits, but they are more like plugging stuff in and setting it in an enclosure...

I thought class d was bad for tweeters... am I retarded or did I hear that somewhere...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If you're doing it for the experience, that's one thing and would be a nice experience.

However, the amplifier's power output is approximately 2 watts RMS per channel at 10% THD at 500Hz... All for over $500:eek:
Hardly seems worth it....and don't be fooled by the pseudo coolness of tubes.
There is a good reason we don't use them anymore.
Which one are you referring to? Or in general?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Cue up GranteedEV for the Hypex modules in 5...4...3...2...1... :D

Wish I could contribute but personally would like to try the Hypex amps. Not sure what they do vs an off the shelf amp.

D

doors666

Audioholic Intern
you can also look at mauro penasa's MyRef RevC over at diyaudio, linuxguru is selling kits for these (pcb and components). Some easy ones will be 3886/3875 based kits at audiosector and chipamp.com

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Which one are you referring to? Or in general?
I got that info from the first link you posted.

As for Amps Lab, no I haven't used them before.
However I noticed that if you click the 'Projects' link it also gives the email address of people that have completed their kits.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Here's some feedback from one of my local friends that I asked about these, thought y'all might be interested. I deleted a couple links to his personal page b/c I didn't feel comfortable posting it without asking.

I talked to an amp designer about these kits. he said that this ( below)

The odd watt stuff looks neat, I've never looked at a self splitting power stage before, except in a very low power application.

I looked at the K12 and it looks a little iffy to me. Researching the 10GV8 shows that it is basically an ECL85 with a 10V heater. This was originally intended to be a sweep tube in a television, not really designed for audio. I bet they found a stock of these tubes somewhere and built around it. I am also suspicious they chose to rate the distortion at 1W, which isn't very close to the full output of 8W.

I think a similar design based around 6BM8s would be cool. Something using a pair of these: http://www.edcorusa.com/p/393/gxpp10-6-10k . These are "not quite" full range, they are 40Hz-20kHz, (presumably at -3dB) so might lack a little at the bottom. But they are only $26. You could probably use a pair of EL84s in ultra-linear with these with good results.

I also built a 2-3W stereo amp with 6BM8s in single-ended, it is my garage stereo where I plug in my phone to listen to music:

The transformers are the world's cheapest single ended transformers ($12) but sound surprisingly good. Not going to rattle any walls, but I rarely turn it even half way up.

T

TP143

Audioholic Intern
I would recommend spending some time on diyaudio website. There are dedicated forums to the various types of amps you can build, along with numerous models within each. I recently heard a basic LM4780 amp and was very suprised. I ordered one myself and will be completing it over the next few weeks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Amp Kit Update

Well, I just placed an order with Bob Latino (Tubes4HiFi) for one of his Dynaco ST-70 Tube Amplifier clone kits. It is 35WPC.

Here is a quick rundown of my kit searching process.

I tried to contact ampslab.com twice because I really like what I see on the website. I made my questions very straight foward and asked if they were still in business, but I never received a reply at all. It's a shame because any positive feedback from them and I would have bought a kit immediately even though they are SS amps and I was more interested in tubes for this build.

I contacted Bottlehead about a tube amp and got a pretty quick reply. The price to performance just didn't do it for me though. Also, on my Quickie build, one of the RCA jacks was missing a grounding lug. Not a huge deal, but I emailed them and asked them to send me the missing piece and never got a reply. When I asked a question as an interested customer, I got a quick reply. When I asked as a customer that was missing a minor part, no reply, so I think I'm done with Bottlehead.

I then contacted Oddwatt to ask about their Poddwatt integrated amp. I really liked the fit and finish of this gear. Also, it has a subwoofer output (actually a full-range pre-out) that is a really nice feature and rare in a tube amp. I also liked the price, and was ready to pull the trigger. They replied very quickly, but unfortunately the Poddwatt is currently unavailable. The good news is that they have an updated version in the works planned for a January 2013 release. The bad news is it will be about $150 more than the current model, and I don't want to wait til January.

Then, I contacted Bob. He replied back within a couple of hours (so far living up to his online reputation). I emailed back and forth a few times and got some more info. He was very responsive and I really liked that he never tried to up-sale me on anything. I asked about the St-120 and various upgrades, and I never once felt that he was trying to pad his wallet from my questions. He retired in (I think) 2003, and has been making a little money from his hobby, so that is cool.

All things considered, I spent a little more $ than I intended for this build, but I don't think I will be disappointed or have buyer's remorse. I also didn't go over-the-top and there would still be some options to upgrade in the future if I get the itch.

After this, I don't really plan to do any more tube builds. All solid state after this one. I've also been considering something a little different....maybe a Theremin, Tesla Coil, or a drum machine would be fun.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I just placed an order with Bob Latino (Tubes4HiFi) for one of his Dynaco ST-70 Tube Amplifier clone kits. It is 35WPC.

Here is a quick rundown of my kit searching process.

I tried to contact ampslab.com twice because I really like what I see on the website. I made my questions very straight foward and asked if they were still in business, but I never received a reply at all. It's a shame because any positive feedback from them and I would have bought a kit immediately even though they are SS amps and I was more interested in tubes for this build.

I contacted Bottlehead about a tube amp and got a pretty quick reply. The price to performance just didn't do it for me though. Also, on my Quickie build, one of the RCA jacks was missing a grounding lug. Not a huge deal, but I emailed them and asked them to send me the missing piece and never got a reply. When I asked a question as an interested customer, I got a quick reply. When I asked as a customer that was missing a minor part, no reply, so I think I'm done with Bottlehead.

I then contacted Oddwatt to ask about their Poddwatt integrated amp. I really liked the fit and finish of this gear. Also, it has a subwoofer output (actually a full-range pre-out) that is a really nice feature and rare in a tube amp. I also liked the price, and was ready to pull the trigger. They replied very quickly, but unfortunately the Poddwatt is currently unavailable. The good news is that they have an updated version in the works planned for a January 2013 release. The bad news is it will be about $150 more than the current model, and I don't want to wait til January.

Then, I contacted Bob. He replied back within a couple of hours (so far living up to his online reputation). I emailed back and forth a few times and got some more info. He was very responsive and I really liked that he never tried to up-sale me on anything. I asked about the St-120 and various upgrades, and I never once felt that he was trying to pad his wallet from my questions. He retired in (I think) 2003, and has been making a little money from his hobby, so that is cool.

All things considered, I spent a little more $ than I intended for this build, but I don't think I will be disappointed or have buyer's remorse. I also didn't go over-the-top and there would still be some options to upgrade in the future if I get the itch.

After this, I don't really plan to do any more tube builds. All solid state after this one. I've also been considering something a little different....maybe a Theremin, Tesla Coil, or a drum machine would be fun.
You can certainly make a little side money, but don't do it for that. You'd make a lot more money delivering pizza instead. If you get what I'm saying.

Just have fun. You will learn a lot. ;) Make very sure you use a good soldering iron not the radio shack junk.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You can certainly make a little side money, but don't do it for that. You'd make a lot more money delivering pizza instead. If you get what I'm saying.

Just have fun. You will learn a lot. ;) Make very sure you use a good soldering iron not the radio shack junk.
Yup, thanks for the advice. I have the Weller analog station, works great.

I'm in this hobby because it is something that I like to do. It will no doubt help me out in my career (I'm a scientist by profession in the semiconductor field) and my home and I am learning plenty along the way.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall

Nice choice, particularly if this will be your only tube project.

But you know what's coming...this thread is useless without pictures!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis