Any difference between using optical vs analog outputs for 2-channel use?

C

ChrisL9472

Audioholic Intern
I recently purchased a new Onkyo TX-8050 stereo receiver & C-7030 CD player as the base of a 2-channel set up. One of the many features the receiver has is an optical cable input.

This is the first receiver/amp I've owned with one of these, and I was always a bit perplexed that most CD/DVD players I've had in the past had these outputs but I never had anything to plug them into.

My question is if there is any advantage or difference in sound quality using this output in playing CD's as opposed to the standard analog RCA jacks? If not, what else of use is it? If so, what cable is better to use? Coaxial or Optical?

FYI... I've tried looking this subject up online, but so far I've only found info pertaining to multi-channel A/V set ups, nothing for 2-channel.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
It depends if you want to use the DAC in the player or receiver.

This is just my opinion, but I would: expect them to be identical, yet still try both. Cables are cheap. They will probably sound identical. But I've had a prepro before that threw me for a loop, because using optical sounded pretty poor, to me, IMO. Faulty somehow? Maybe. But anyway, it cannot hurt to try, and the final answer is, you probably can't tell.

B

Bruins44

Audiophyte
As Jostenmeat suggested, experiment with the sound. Using the digital out on your CD will force the digital to analog converter (DAC) in your receiver to decode the music. Using the RCA analog outputs on the CD player will use the DAC in the CD player to decode.

I prefer using the DAC in my Marantz CD player rather than the DAC in my NAD receiver. Therefore, I use the RCA outputs from the CD player in to my receiver.

Try both connections and use the one that suits your preference.

Bruins44

C

ChrisL9472

Audioholic Intern
As Jostenmeat suggested, experiment with the sound. Using the digital out on your CD will force the digital to analog converter (DAC) in your receiver to decode the music. Using the RCA analog outputs on the CD player will use the DAC in the CD player to decode.

I prefer using the DAC in my Marantz CD player rather than the DAC in my NAD receiver. Therefore, I use the RCA outputs from the CD player in to my receiver.

Try both connections and use the one that suits your preference.

Bruins44
Thanks! Nobody I asked about this told me about the way the DAC's function using digital cables in a way I could understand, I didn't even realize that a receiver had it's own DAC. I went and got an optical cable, tried it out, and was not impressed with the sound. I was told I probably wouldn't notice a difference but it seemed to sound weaker and muddier. It's obvious the DAC in my CD player is far superior.

I will keep this optical cable for a more appropriate future use with an outboard DAC or something for the PC.

C

ChrisL9472

Audioholic Intern
It depends if you want to use the DAC in the player or receiver.

This is just my opinion, but I would: expect them to be identical, yet still try both. Cables are cheap. They will probably sound identical. But I've had a prepro before that threw me for a loop, because using optical sounded pretty poor, to me, IMO. Faulty somehow? Maybe. But anyway, it cannot hurt to try, and the final answer is, you probably can't tell.
After getting a optical cable and trying it out, it seems to sound less then stellar to me also. I noticed lower volume and murkier sound.

Technically on paper, it should sound better as the digital cables from what I understand are supposed to deliver the full bit rate with no distortion. However, what that transcribes to in real world performance seems to be a different story.

Also, if using digital inputs forces your receiver/processor to use it's own DAC, then it would only make sense to use if your said receiver/processor had a superior DAC then your CD Player/outboard DAC, which usually isn't the case with the better players from what I know.

So what good are these things?:confused:

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
So what good are these things?:confused:
Well, at the end of the day all that matters is that you're happy with your setup.

From a scientific standpoint- and based on the gear you've listed, a few things to consider.

When "comparing" the two hookup methods, was the volume set to identical levels using an spl meter?

Was the receiver set on the same listening mode? All EQ settings on receiver set to the same?

The way DAC's handle and deliver analog information from a mathematical standpoint lead me to believe that one would have to be functioning rather poorly (malfunction) to decode information in a way to make an audible difference between two.

Blah blah blah, it really doesnt matter in your case as long as you feel like you've found the best method for connecting your gear.

The digital audio cables exist to send digital information to your receiver via one cable instead of multiple cables via analog.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Another consideration on RCA vs Optical that no one has mentioned yet:

RCA analogue connections can be susceptible to RF or other noise. In particular, long unshielded runs or if the cables are allowed to run parallel to power lines can cause humming in the signal.

Optical cables transfer light in a fiber cable, and it is not susceptible to the same interferences.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis