Any computer gurus in the house?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Hey guys I am trying to set up my graphics card to display as a clone from my crt monitor, to my 65" rptv. But I'm not sure what resolution my rptv should be at to optomize performance, and to display the 16:9 ratio correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
thats a tough one. when i used my laptops out on my tv (for when i was using it for the mixing window of my music production software) it would only let me display it in the resolution that i was displaying my laptop screen at. does your video card allow for you to select what resolution one is at and another resolution for the other? also are you extending your screen or are you trying to just have the same thing on both screens? also is tv hd or not?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
sixdouble532one said:
thats a tough one. when i used my laptops out on my tv (for when i was using it for the mixing window of my music production software) it would only let me display it in the resolution that i was displaying my laptop screen at. does your video card allow for you to select what resolution one is at and another resolution for the other? also are you extending your screen or are you trying to just have the same thing on both screens? also is tv hd or not?
yes my card allows seperate resolutions (geforce fx5500), I want the same thing on both screens, and yes I have an hdtv, it supports 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

I am mostly just trying to us this for parties(WMP) and general internet surfing. My computer is in my bedroom around the corner from my living room, where my h/t is located. I will try and attach some pics.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure what resolutions your card supports, but just do a lil division. The ratio needs to be 1.77777etc. 1280x768 is the closest standard resolution that I know of, which is 1.6666666.

W

Wbrjedi

Audiophyte
ah dual display fun

Most important thing is what can your tv handle and what can your computer put out. check here:

Control panel
-Display
--Settings
---Advanced tab
----GE Force Or FX tab For you depends on card and drivers
-----Then you should be able to added a cloned monitor and tweak resolutions with a visual display of your output. If you dont have the options lemme know and ill hook the card up on my system at work. If all you Needed was the Resolution Then Last post Answered The question. IF you Have any more Computer Questions lemme know computers are my background and Audio is my Future. -Robbie

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks guys I'll tool around some more with it and see what I can do.
Is there any way to get a true 16:9 ratio off my card for my rptv?

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
nice computer monitor. shiza what is that a 42" lcd widescreen display? ;) seriously nice size tv though....i always find it funny that i have friends with 2-4000$ computer but use 15" monitors from about 7 years ago....i myself am somewhat in that situation i have decent computer but my monitor suuuuuuucks and wont display any colors right and is dim as hell....i think once my company becomes a dealer ill have to get a new flat panel.

The other guys pretty much gave you what you needed so if you have any other questions give us a holla

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Hey now,I built the computer from the ground up. I've got an athlon 64 3500+ chip in that bad boy with a gig of ram, had to compromise on something and the monitor seemed like my best option.

My rptv is a 65" hitachi ultravision digital, and it only looks like 42" because of the massive athena asf2's on each side of it.

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
I personally have found that the majority of rptv's operate best with the resolution set at 800x600. I have found that higher settings either produce an skewed image or an unuseable image (words too small to read). I don't know about your tv, but my toshiba 65" has a feature that you can select the picture size which allows you to choose from 4 different sizes. I know that if you use s-video to connect your tv you will not have this problem not to mention that s video cables will be much cheaper than HD cables for that long of a run. Enjoy.:)
Greg

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
If your TV is fixed pixel (LCD, DLP, everything but CRT) then give it as close to that resiloution possible. If it's a CRT, then I'd give it 1280x1024.

Paul

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
i was just busting your chops krzy. No your tv does look huge, have you been happy with it?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Oh yea, she's a beaut. The only thing that looks bad on that tv is some x-box/ps2 games and sdtv.

I went to the nvidia website and the only solution to my problem is to go to the advanced timings and resolution setting, and of course to display hdtv formats I would need to run a 25 foot dvi cable. Thats not that bad , found them for $30 or $40. What sucks is I would have to get a dvi switcher since my tv only has one dvi input.

Oh well maybe down the road.

Thanks all for your help.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I've found that rptv's dont actually work with the dvi output from a computer, at least on my mitsubishi, if you figure it out let me know because I'd love to play doom 3 on my big screen. As for the the resoulution question, I always run mine at 1024x768 through the s-video out on my computer and dont have any many problems, works great for winamp visuals and divx movies

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
that I cant answer you, its a Mitsubishi 48-315 HDTV accecpts up to 1080i through the components and dvi...if that helps

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
i was looking for the 1080i hdtv......hmmm weird.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis