Anthem MRX 1120 A/V Receiver

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have an Anthem MRX310 and while ARC is great, Audyssey XT32 is just as good in my opinion.
ARC only EQ's a single sub from what I have read. The Denon/Marantz can do that will MultiEQ XT32 w/Sub EQ HT. Of course, if both subs are equidistant from the MLP, then it would NOT pose too bad of an issue. The sad part is not everybody can place their subs equidistant from the MLP. At $3500, I would think that EQing (2) subs independently would be included.

Cheers,

Phil

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I was trying to say while this Anthem will not be as powerful as something like the Denon flagship, one may or may not need an external amp to help depending on one's need (such as listening habits/how loud etc.) and listening environment (room size etc.). I mentioned the 4520 because I noticed you have one and it was a flagship class AVR, otherwise I would have mentioned the AVR-X7200W instead just as a term of reference for comparison.

Regarding "why are you bringing up what to buy", I do not understand what you are referring to, did I say something wrong and offended you? I did say if and when the price came down below 2K that Anthem would be a good replacement for my current prepro, just to say that I was impressed with the Anthem, but not at its current price, that's all.
I edited out the what to buy , my bad!

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Peng, when you change out your Marantz 8801 some day, I would be interested in purchasing it! Although, shipping from Ontario to Texas might be rough?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng, when you change out your Marantz 8801 some day, I would be interested in purchasing it! Although, shipping from Ontario to Texas might be rough?
Haha, I doubt you can wait that long, and it may never happen because in my small/medium size room I am more than happy with 7.1. I also strongly believe the AV8801 is no better than the AVR-4520. They even have the same DAC and both have XT32/SubEQHT. Unless you need balanced inputs/outputs, you won't gain anything going from the 4520 to 8801. If you really want to go separates, I strongly suggest you consider the 8802. The 8802 is, at least on paper, a reasonable upgrade for the 4520 owners.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
S&V tested the Anthem MRX-1120 ($3499) Denon AVR-X4200W ($1499)
http://www.soundandvision.com/category/av-receiver-reviews

MRX-1120:

2 ch driven 135.5W into 8 ohms, 218.4 into 4 ohms, at 0.1% THD
5 ch driven 70.5W
7 ch driven 69.6 front left, 36.8W surround back left

Denon AVR-X4200W:

2 ch driven 124.3W into 8 ohms, 215.9W into 4 ohms, at 0.1% THD
5 ch driven, 94.6W
7 ch driven, 76.8W.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Why compare those two? The MRX1120 puts out 11 amplified channels, the Denon is limited to 9, and only 7 of them amplified.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Why compare those two? The MRX1120 puts out 11 amplified channels, the Denon is limited to 9, and only 7 of them amplified.
The output of the 11 channel X6300H and the MRX1120 were both mentioned (post#7&8). S&V happened to have just tested the 4200 and one can reasonably project the output of the 6300 from those figures from the 4200's test results, say around 10% more for the 2,5 and 7 channel output. Other than the power output for 2,5 & 7 channel driven, I agree there isn't much point comparing the two.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
S&V tested the Anthem MRX-1120 ($3499) Denon AVR-X4200W ($1499)
http://www.soundandvision.com/category/av-receiver-reviews

MRX-1120:

2 ch driven 135.5W into 8 ohms, 218.4 into 4 ohms, at 0.1% THD
5 ch driven 70.5W
7 ch driven 69.6 front left, 36.8W surround back left

Denon AVR-X4200W:

2 ch driven 124.3W into 8 ohms, 215.9W into 4 ohms, at 0.1% THD
5 ch driven, 94.6W
7 ch driven, 76.8W.
My take away from this is that for 7.1 system, the Denon X4200 (which people could buy on sale for $800 brand new on Amazon) is the clear winner. The difference in power output for up to 7Ch is insignificant. :)

If you need 11Ch surround, just get the B&K 12Ch amp for $450 to power the surrounds.

http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers/http-bkcomp-com-uploads-tx-ttproducts-datasheet-av1230-1260-080108-01-pdf.html

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My take away from this is that for 7.1 system, the Denon X4200 (which people could buy on sale for $800 brand new on Amazon) is the clear winner. The difference in power output for up to 7Ch is insignificant. :)

If you need 11Ch surround, just get the B&K 12Ch amp for $450 to power the surrounds.

http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers/http-bkcomp-com-uploads-tx-ttproducts-datasheet-av1230-1260-080108-01-pdf.html
I also agree with you except if you need 11 channels, as Ken pointed out, the 4200 is not a comparison to the 1120. You need to go up to the X6300H, or the X7200W. I think the X7200W's price will drop like a rock in a year when the X7300W is out. The Anthem is really not a bang for the buck type and not a power house for sure, but some people are attracted by their ARC and perceived higher end quality.

By the way, my logic behind projecting the 6300's output (up to 7 channels driven only) potentially 10% higher than that of the 4200 is based on their power consumption specs, 750W for the 6300 vs 670W for the 4200. I must emphasize again, that you can't go by power consumption figures alone to project power output capability because we have no idea how each manufacture defines them. Based on published bench test data, there has been no consistent relationship. In this case I would be comfortably using power consumption specs for comparison only because I am comparing two current models (the 4200 is only a year older) made by the same company. Even then, I am talking about educated guess figures only.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also agree with you except if you need 11 channels, as Ken pointed out, the 4200 is not a comparison to the 1120. You need to go up to the X6300H, or the X7200W. I think the X7200W's price will drop like a rock in a year when the X7300W is out. The Anthem is really not a bang for the buck type and not a power house for sure, but some people are attracted by their ARC and perceived higher end quality.

By the way, my logic behind projecting the 6300's output (up to 7 channels driven only) potentially 10% higher than that of the 4200 is based on their power consumption specs, 750W for the 6300 vs 670W for the 4200. I must emphasize again, that you can't go by power consumption figures alone to project power output capability because we have no idea how each manufacture defines them. Based on published bench test data, there has been no consistent relationship. In this case I would be comfortably using power consumption specs for comparison only because I am comparing two current models (the 4200 is only a year older) made by the same company. Even then, I am talking about educated guess figures only.
We definitely can't argue against personal preferences. If people love ARC or Anthem more, they should buy them if in budget.

For people who love Audyssey or Denon/Marantz more, they are in luck because Amazon loves to give ~ 50% (sometimes 60%) discounts every year. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis