Anthem AVM70 issues

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
All,

I have a new AVM70 8k, and I'm finding this is much less user friendly than my prior D&M receivers. When it works, I really like it. All I have done is download latest firmware, and update web software. My hope was that after this I can plug and play as I don't want to tweak anything yet as all of my speakers are not installed.

My issues so far are,

-Stereo mode produces no sound
-The receiver needs to be set to specific modes to play certain content. For example, watching House of the Dragon needs to be on Dolby+. If it is on Anthem cinema mode, there is only a muffled sound from maybe one speaker. Tough to tell while sitting there.
-Using nintendo switch today, the only way to get sound was to set it to All Channel Mono, and I noticed there were a few speakers not playing any sound.
-I turned on CEC so that it triggers on when I turn on the TV, but today that didn't work.

I posted this on AVSForum but didn't get much help when I was initially struggling to get stereo mode to produce sound.

"I got music from laptop through HDMI and D90 to work. Although, the only way to get them to work is set the AVM to anthem cinema music mode. Having it set to stereo produces no sound.

I'm sitting there playing a few songs I know through HDMI, and I'm thinking this does not sound good, not selling off my D90 (which I hoped to do). I try the D90 next and it sounds much better, but not as good as I'm used to for some reason. As I leave the room to come and type this, I notice the sound is coming from my side and rear surround, but only on the right side (SVS Ultra BS on side, and Prime BS for rear). I go up front and realize my LR are not playing sound which are Focal Sopra No1 (no wonder I thought the music didn't sound good), but the sound was coming from 4 SVS Prime Elevations on the ceiling.

So no sound from LR, side or rear left."

The odd thing is, today when I had all channel mono running, the rear right surround wasn't playing while the rear left was. So that is pretty much the opposite of what happened in cinema music mode.

I don't think I can get support from anthem as I bought it gray market. Is it just that I need to go through more of the set up to get these modes to work? With my old D&M receivers, I would always get sound regardless of what mode was being used. This is really frustrating

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How gray was that market? Can you return it? That giant owner's thread for the 70/90 no one had any ideas/help?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It looks like your Anthem receiver is really defective. I guess you cannot return it for a refund. Lesson learned!

I would suggest that you go back to a D & M product, but buy it from a reliable seller with a warranty of some sort with money well spent.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
How gray was that market? Can you return it? That giant owner's thread for the 70/90 no one had any ideas/help?
It was from someone who has an in with an employee. He said if there were any problems that I could return to him. I also paid with PayPal so I can always open a case if need be.

right now I’m watching MNF, I have it set to all channel stereo. There’s no sound coming from LR, rear right or side left. I really don’t know if the set up process requires me to say what speakers there are. Like with my old 7012, in the speaker set up I had to select which speakers I have. I have not done any of that with the 70. Do you know if there are settings like that somewhere in the web software?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It was from someone who has an in with an employee. He said if there were any problems that I could return to him. I also paid with PayPal so I can always open a case if need be.

right now I’m watching MNF, I have it set to all channel stereo. There’s no sound coming from LR, rear right or side left. I really don’t know if the set up process requires me to say what speakers there are. Like with my old 7012, in the speaker set up I had to select which speakers I have. I have not done any of that with the 70. Do you know if there are settings like that somewhere in the web software?
I would assume since you have not run the setup routine that you must indicate what speakers are in use. Was it brand new or used? I'd start with a full reset if it was the latter. It's still Sunday, how are you watching MNF? :)

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I would assume since you have not run the setup routine that you must indicate what speakers are in use. Was it brand new or used? I'd start with a full reset if it was the latter. It's still Sunday, how are you watching MNF? :)
Lol, SNF. It was brand new. Yeah maybe there’s more that I need to do through the web software. I’ll go back in and see if there’s anything I can change that will make a difference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lol, SNF. It was brand new. Yeah maybe there’s more that I need to do through the web software. I’ll go back in and see if there’s anything I can change that will make a difference.
Kinda figured it was SNF unless you're a time traveler :) If you haven't done a basic manual setup....

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Also, I went into the web interface, adjusted what speakers I have (fronts do not have an option to turned off ever) tried music through my D90, no sound still in stereo mode.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Also, I went into the web interface, adjusted what speakers I have (fronts do not have an option to turned off ever) tried music through my D90, no sound still in stereo mode.
The you have a dud. If you can return it good, if not then it is a total loss. I personally would never touch Anthem equipment even with a very long barge pole.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
i may have solved this.... I unhooked everything and went XLR to my monolith 8250 with only the center channel plugged in, the last 4 inputs work, the first 4 do not.

I think the issue is my amp

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
i may have solved this.... I unhooked everything and went XLR to my monolith 8250 with only the center channel plugged in, the last 4 inputs work, the first 4 do not.

I think the issue is my amp
Did you plug in both? If yes, check both fuses.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Did you plug in both? If yes, check both fuses.
That was the problem. the ASR thread confused me because it seemed like people were saying you need two cords to get max power, which I thought meant you can use one only. Nope, each cord powers two modules.

"You don't have to use 20 amp outlets, nor do you have to plug the two power cables into separate outlets. This is only an option which can be used for those who want to be able to get all the power from all the channels which the amplifier is capable of. "

:facepalm:

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
The you have a dud. If you can return it good, if not then it is a total loss. I personally would never touch Anthem equipment even with a very long barge pole.
Your loss.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That was the problem. the ASR thread confused me because it seemed like people were saying you need two cords to get max power, which I thought meant you can use one only. Nope, each cord powers two modules.

"You don't have to use 20 amp outlets, nor do you have to plug the two power cables into separate outlets. This is only an option which can be used for those who want to be able to get all the power from all the channels which the amplifier is capable of. "

:facepalm:
Don't feel bad about it we've all made those mistakes.

I'm just glad you figured out it was user error so you didn't have to return such a beautiful peice of gear.

I owned the Anthem AVM 60 and really enjoyed it!

Now that you've figured out the problem please post us your impressions on the AVM 70 once you have it setup and that amp!!!! I'm very curious about that amplifier!!!!

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Don't feel bad about it we've all made those mistakes.

I'm just glad you figured out it was user error so you didn't have to return such a beautiful peice of gear.

I owned the Anthem AVM 60 and really enjoyed it!

Now that you've figured out the problem please post us your impressions on the AVM 70 once you have it setup and that amp!!!! I'm very curious about that amplifier!!!!
I haven't run arc genesis yet, as I'm waiting to install my in ceiling speakers, and waiting on XLR's to arrive for sub woofers (coming today). So I'm not 100% on all that this has to offer.

I'm 100% prefacing this by saying it's possible that this is placebo effect as I obv haven't done a double blind test between the 70 and 7012. What I can say is that compared to my prior receiver, Marantz SR7012, 2 channel audio is MUCH better. The 7012, to me, when running Tidal directly through HDMI, it always sounded like there was a veil over the sound. Surprisingly enough, I preferred this sound on one of my test songs, Adele - Someone like you. When I used my Topping D90 MQA, everything from vocals to instruments sounded slightly shrill. Any other songs I always preferred hearing through the D90. Everything was much clearer, better instrument separation, etc. Yesterday I tried a few different songs I'm very familiar with; Sarah Mclachlan - Angel, Chris Jones - No Sanctuary Here, and Kacey Musgraves - Rainbow, and I must say the difference between the D90 and AVM70 were so subtle that it may have just been placebo effect for my minor preference of the D90 (maybe MQA vs non MQA?). I feel like if I went double blind between the Marantz and D90 I would be able to tell them apart, where the same wouldn't hold between the 70 and D90.

Few gripes I do have, I enabled CEC and yesterday it was turned off. Maybe checking for new firmware updates on Monday for some reason turned it off but I had to manually go and set it up again. There's no paper manual, and with the amount of settings I feel like there should be a 200 page manual. Audio Advice has a 30 minute tutorial set up video on youtube, and it seems crazy to me that Anthem provides no information about the tweaking and how you should adjust certain settings in the way that AA does in the video. Maybe it more of the person on the videos preferences. But for someone like myself who isn't overly audio science literate, there is going to be a bit of a learning curve as there is a bunch of tweaking available in ARC genesis. It will be a fun journey however.

I'm absolutely keeping this, and happy to get away from the D&M screens that looks like an they're from the 1980's

Regarding the amp. Nothing at all to complain about. Mine is DEAD silent. Connections feel nice and snug, good clicking and tight fit with the XLR cables. Trigger works perfectly, when the AVM70 starts up the amp powers right up and you hear all 4 modules double click and turn on. The power feels effortless and while my front 3 are only Focal Sopra No1s and Sopra Center (don't need a ton of power), they are driven with ease. The amp barely feel warm when in use, just ran it for 30 mins with the AVM70 set to -25db (remember, no other level changes from the processor). Oddly enough, the ASR thread on these, there are a few people in there who have the 125 and have odd hums and noise. I don't have any of these issues so it may be unique to the 125.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't run arc genesis yet, as I'm waiting to install my in ceiling speakers, and waiting on XLR's to arrive for sub woofers (coming today). So I'm not 100% on all that this has to offer.

I'm 100% prefacing this by saying it's possible that this is placebo effect as I obv haven't done a double blind test between the 70 and 7012. What I can say is that compared to my prior receiver, Marantz SR7012, 2 channel audio is MUCH better. The 7012, to me, when running Tidal directly through HDMI, it always sounded like there was a veil over the sound. Surprisingly enough, I preferred this sound on one of my test songs, Adele - Someone like you. When I used my Topping D90 MQA, everything from vocals to instruments sounded slightly shrill. Any other songs I always preferred hearing through the D90. Everything was much clearer, better instrument separation, etc. Yesterday I tried a few different songs I'm very familiar with; Sarah Mclachlan - Angel, Chris Jones - No Sanctuary Here, and Kacey Musgraves - Rainbow, and I must say the difference between the D90 and AVM70 were so subtle that it may have just been placebo effect for my minor preference of the D90 (maybe MQA vs non MQA?). I feel like if I went double blind between the Marantz and D90 I would be able to tell them apart, where the same wouldn't hold between the 70 and D90.

Few gripes I do have, I enabled CEC and yesterday it was turned off. Maybe checking for new firmware updates on Monday for some reason turned it off but I had to manually go and set it up again. There's no paper manual, and with the amount of settings I feel like there should be a 200 page manual. Audio Advice has a 30 minute tutorial set up video on youtube, and it seems crazy to me that Anthem provides no information about the tweaking and how you should adjust certain settings in the way that AA does in the video. Maybe it more of the person on the videos preferences. But for someone like myself who isn't overly audio science literate, there is going to be a bit of a learning curve as there is a bunch of tweaking available in ARC genesis. It will be a fun journey however.

I'm absolutely keeping this, and happy to get away from the D&M screens that looks like an they're from the 1980's

Regarding the amp. Nothing at all to complain about. Mine is DEAD silent. Connections feel nice and snug, good clicking and tight fit with the XLR cables. Trigger works perfectly, when the AVM70 starts up the amp powers right up and you hear all 4 modules double click and turn on. The power feels effortless and while my front 3 are only Focal Sopra No1s and Sopra Center (don't need a ton of power), they are driven with ease. The amp barely feel warm when in use, just ran it for 30 mins with the AVM70 set to -25db (remember, no other level changes from the processor). Oddly enough, the ASR thread on these, there are a few people in there who have the 125 and have odd hums and noise. I don't have any of these issues so it may be unique to the 125.
Thanks for the feedback that amp is on my soon to buy list!!!

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Thanks for the feedback that amp is on my soon to buy list!!!
I like it at the 2149 price I paid, much less so at $3k. I do not have a closet for my audio equipment so everything is under the TV and I can see it all. I really like the look of the monolith amps a lot, which is why I wanted it for my class D choice. Buckeye makes a great product, but I can not get past the look of the case. I asked him in the ASR thread for the monolith amp if he could get a case upgrade like Nord SE cases. The LR sides look like heat sinks, made in Japan, and look gorgeous (my opinion). If he can get a case like this then I will buy a 3 channel, or 3 monos NC500, unless monolith ends up doing one first to match the 8250

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis