Another budget system question

L

lman

Audioholic Intern
Hi, I am obviously new to this thread, and am just starting to get back into the home theater scene (havn't bought anything new since 1999 or so) I am on a TIGHT budget, I am probably going to get a Sammy 50A650 for around 1,500 or so whih leaves me only about 500 for an audio system (you see the problem). My question is that since I am going to use my PS3 as a BD player, I want a reciever that will use the HDMI to process the sound, which for 500 is possible, and just "get by" with cinexpensive speakers, or should I buy better speakers now and a inexpensive AVR....... the saga continues

P.S. I am open to any kind of suggestion or advice (like graduate allready, and get a better job) or a soundbar/ powered sub option

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Some questions to get the ball rolling: Do you have speakers and/or a sub now? Do you have a receiver now? If so, what do you have?

[Also, are you talking about the PN50A650? Just a heads up that it's a bit over $1400 at Amazon right now.]

If it were me, and I was starting from scratch with no gear, and I only had $500 to spend on a receiver and speakers, I definitely wouldn't be trying to get audio over HDMI at this point. I'd go with something like the Onkyo TX-SR506 (which I've seen for $150, but it normally goes for $200). I don't have a PS3, but I think that it has a digital audio output on it - you could connect that to the 506. You wouldn't get the new lossless codecs, but they would be pretty worthless on a $100 set of 5.1 speakers. :) The 506 can do Dolby Digital, DTS, and so forth.

Audio over HDMI, and processing of the "new" codecs will get cheaper and cheaper. Heck, the Onkyo 507 might have it if you can wait until May, and it's street price will likely start at $250 and drop in a couple of months.

L

lman

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I guess I could hav ebeen more spacific, yeah the PN50A650, and no I don't have anything right now, I sold everything to my 16 yr old Brother In Law, except for the sub which is a klipsch KSW 120 (maybe, can't remember) I woulden't mind going with 3.1 or even 2.1 until later. What do you think of a Pio VSX-918V-K, and some BOSE 301 or VCS 30?

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know anything specific about the Pioneer 918. I have the 1015 and really like it, though, so I'd have no problem recommending Pioneer receivers.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Please don't get Bose

Hi, I am obviously new to this thread, and am just starting to get back into the home theater scene (havn't bought anything new since 1999 or so) I am on a TIGHT budget, I am probably going to get a Sammy 50A650 for around 1,500 or so whih leaves me only about 500 for an audio system (you see the problem). My question is that since I am going to use my PS3 as a BD player, I want a reciever that will use the HDMI to process the sound, which for 500 is possible, and just "get by" with cinexpensive speakers, or should I buy better speakers now and a inexpensive AVR....... the saga continues

P.S. I am open to any kind of suggestion or advice (like graduate allready, and get a better job) or a soundbar/ powered sub option
$500 isn't very much for a receiver and speakers. Bose speakers are overpriced and not that good. Audioholics has some good HTIB systems but they cost $999. For less than $500 and Onkyo sytem such as the 5100 would be a better start:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=onkyo+ht-s5100&tag=googhydr-20&index=electronics&hvadid=2890282377&ref=pd_sl_60me17q1j7_e

Good Luck!

MidCow2

L

lman

Audioholic Intern
That was a great article, I had heard that before, but had not looked in to it, thanks for the link. What do ya'll think about buying an inexpensive AVR and piecing the speakers togather? Like get an Onkyo 606 and a good pair of bookshelfs or center channel and then later fill in the missing parts?? to be honest I am not sure I want 5.1, I think I would rather have 3.1. Thats just a thought, thank you for all your advice and assistance.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
That was a great article, I had heard that before, but had not looked in to it, thanks for the link. What do ya'll think about buying an inexpensive AVR and piecing the speakers togather? Like get an Onkyo 606 and a good pair of bookshelfs or center channel and then later fill in the missing parts?? to be honest I am not sure I want 5.1, I think I would rather have 3.1. Thats just a thought, thank you for all your advice and assistance.
Good Idea - Onkyo makes good AVRs; 606 is nice.

Here are some very good small ( about 9 1/2" x 9" x 6 ") bookshelf speakers. You can later use them for surrounds. They are $219 per pair delivered. Cambridge Audio S30. http://spearitsound.amazonwebstore.com/Cambridge-Audio-S30-Speakers-Natural-Oak/M/B00196SJOI.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

Good Luck!

MidCow2

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

Sound quality is affected more by speakers than by any other component. If you want the best sound, do not scrimp on them; scrimp on everything else instead. If, however, you are going to have more money in the future, it might be better to get other things that you will not feel the need to replace, and then replace the speakers when you get more money. However, in the meantime, your sound will suffer for it.

L

lman

Audioholic Intern
Sorry to keep a boring thread going, but what do you all think of a Pio 918 and a pair of Klipsch B-3 bookshelf speakers to start then maybe next month or so the center followed by the surrounds?

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Check this out: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/satellite/tsat-1000-ht8-b

I don't think you are going to find anything better for this price. Now at $399, this doesn' leave much room for a receiver. Keep checking Audigon and you will find some pretty decent receivers in the $150-$200 range wich will put you just slightly over budget. You might be able to get this done for $550. When you tell people what you paid, they will be blown away. If money was real tight, this is probably what I would do. Something to consider though is the size of your room as satellites are, of course, not going to have the same kind of output or performance that a good bookshelf or tower will. of course, you'll have to probably double your budget to go that route too.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Check this out: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/satellite/tsat-1000-ht8-b

I don't think you are going to find anything better for this price. Now at $399, this doesn' leave much room for a receiver. Keep checking Audigon and you will find some pretty decent receivers in the $150-$200 range wich will put you just slightly over budget. You might be able to get this done for $550. When you tell people what you paid, they will be blown away. If money was real tight, this is probably what I would do. Something to consider though is the size of your room as satellites are, of course, not going to have the same kind of output or performance that a good bookshelf or tower will. of course, you'll have to probably double your budget to go that route too.
BTW, this deal comes with a free 30-day trial and free shipping, also free shipping back if you decide you don't like them, so it's pretty much risk free. Not bad. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry to keep a boring thread going, but what do you all think of a Pio 918 and a pair of Klipsch B-3 bookshelf speakers to start then maybe next month or so the center followed by the surrounds?
The thread isn't boring at all. Those Behringer B2030P's and a rec'r are a start. Next month another pair is the surrounds. The month after another pair is the center and maybe rear channel for 6.1. The next month another pair would put you into 7.1 and half way there for a second system ... :D

I keep hearing good things about those and recently had my sister buy 4 of them. There's info kicking around about some basic modifications you can do to them to make sound even better. They are certainly not 'little satellites' but they do not have grills.

L

lman

Audioholic Intern
OK so here's what I have in my "cart" now (thanks to some good advice) I found Pioneer VSX-1017TXV-k and a pair of Behringer 2031P speakers (for $75 or so over the 2030's it seemed like a good idea) and a Sammy PN50A650... for about $25 less then my 2k budget. I liked what I read about the TSAT 1000, but I think this might have more room for improvements down the road, and the end result I think will be better. Thanks again for all your advice, I feel like I am getting alot more for my money then I would if I hadn't talk to you all first, Thank you

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The 2031's haven't rec'd the fanfare extended to the 2030's. They are as yet an unknown.

Any reason to get a Sammy over a Panny? Price?

Last edited:
L

lman

Audioholic Intern
Yeah mostly, I was looking at the PZ800U but today at amazon the price for a Panny is $1800 and the Sammy is $1400, is the Panny $400 better? As far as the 2030 v. 2031 I just saw that the 2031's had a 8.75 in. driver and thought that might give me better low freq. response. I am kind of assuming that they should be just as good as the 2030's, with maybe a little more "robust" sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis