Audioholic Chief
I don't now what you've been doing either.:D

Happy Thanksgiving old friend.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I don't now what you've been doing either.:D

Happy Thanksgiving old friend.
I still can't figure out where the time went?

Sign Right Here

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Please share your extensive knowledge on how you've come up with this information, that invoice is not what the dealer pays?
By reading CR? I am sure they have a bit more experience with this stuff, you think?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
That is not the reason. And do you think the dealer wants to sell a car at $1 over? Give me a break.
No, the dealer will charge what he can get away with. You must have seen price tags on some new cars that went way beyond the sticker price, by $1000s in some cases, no?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Car salesmen used to bother me, now I generally bypass them as much as possible.

1. browse dealerships on Sunday to see if car is ugly in person.

2. use Manf's website to determine options & accessories

3. use Manf's website to locate exact car with exact option I want in the state. In special case you may need to travel to nearby state. (its not like the local dealership's service area cares where the car came from)

4. determine financing ahead of time (if needed). If you can't afford MSRP then you can't afford the car, discounts are good but please live within your means.

5. call dealership to confirm car is still available.

6. go to dealership, find salesperson "I am here to purchase that specific car" make reasonable offer (If you had a bumper year at the firm and carry a briefcase full of cash into the dealership you can even make unreasonable offers ;) ) If offer is refused start list over again with second choice car, or dealership if more than one has your car.

7. double check invoice to make sure "dealer coating" and other BS hasn't worked it's way into the mess.

Life is too short to **** around with salespeople. If getting that smoking deal is going to cost you a $50,000 bypass, then whats the point? I'll be much happier when Mail Order cars are available. Then dealerships would be little more than authorized service centers (and there wouldn't be excess stock rusting away on lots across the globe).

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
No, the dealer will charge what he can get away with. You must have seen price tags on some new cars that went way beyond the sticker price, by $1000s in some cases, no?

Yes I have.

But what the consumer doesn't see it how the manufacturers have been cutting into the dealers percentages for years now. Chrysler 3 years ago cut dealer mark-up from invoice to MSRP by 1%. But this has been going on for over 20 years.

Dealers have to make up that percentage somewhere.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
4. determine financing ahead of time (if needed). If you can't afford MSRP then you can't afford the car, discounts are good but please live within your means.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please read the following statement. Because this is about the smartest statement I have read in a long time.

"If you can't afford MSRP then you can't afford the car"

Thank You Rock & Roll :D

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
3. use Manf's website to locate exact car with exact option I want in the state. In special case you may need to travel to nearby state. (its not like the local dealership's service area cares where the car came from)
You are right. To bad dealer service writers work on commission also. They just want to write the service ticket to get paid.

But I have managed stores were I made sure customers that spent money purchasing cars at the dealership where serviced before someone that purchased across town. I will not refuse the business, but made sure my costumers where taken care of first.

So if you think it's not important to purchase from the place you'd like to service your car.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
You are right. To bad dealer service writers work on commission also. They just want to write the service ticket to get paid.

But I have managed stores were I made sure customers that spent money purchasing cars at the dealership where serviced before someone that purchased across town. I will not refuse the business, but made sure my costumers where taken care of first.

So if you think it's not important to purchase from the place you'd like to service your car.
So you didn't kick your good customers in the arse?:D

Test drove the 335 today, tomorrow I've got an appointment with my friend to test drive the G37. Cavewife likes the beemer, not too crazy about price.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Cavewife likes the beemer, not too crazy about price.
If it was cheap enough where anybody could buy one then you wouldn't want it. This is why Cadillacs have such an uphill battle in the marketplace.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If it was cheap enough where anybody could buy one then you wouldn't want it.
I'm not that exclusive...I'd take a BMW even if everyone could afford one. As long as they were still as nice of a car as they are now. They're better than what I have!

BTW, Ninja, I just noticed your "location." Holy crap, that's funny. I'm having trouble typing this because I'm still laughing so hard. Well done!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
True, there's an "exclusivity" behind certain cars that even if performance is lacking the sheer audacity of the asking price makes certain people lust for it. Fortunately where I live beemers are known as Bellybutton Motor Works. If you ask why, you don't live down here.:D

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If it was cheap enough where anybody could buy one then you wouldn't want it. This is why Cadillacs have such an uphill battle in the marketplace.
Cadillacs went after the younger market with their cars a little late in the game. The STS is a really nice car. The Escalade has been one of their best sellers.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

I don't begrudge dealerships for giving prefered service treatment to new car customers. But in all likelihood with the current system of options you have no choice of, ie. "whats on the lot is on the lot", the chances of your local dealer having exactly what you want can be pretty slim.

This isn't a problem for my wife: It must be green and an automatic.

However when I look for: a Mazda MX-5 power retracting hardtop grand touring six speed in true red with black leather, the premium package and sirius radio (but under no circumstances the dreaded "appearance package" with *shudder* aerokits, chrome gascap and a spoiler). I will most likely never see that exact setup at the local dealership, its too specific on a low volume car.

But I'm of the (apparently) "crazy" mindset that if I'm paying $30,000 or more for a car I should get exactly what I want. Instead of people who buy the metallic copper car because they had to have a new car RIGHT NOW!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
However when I look for: a Mazda MX-5 power retracting hardtop grand touring six speed in true red with black leather, the premium package and sirius radio (but under no circumstances the dreaded "appearance package" with *shudder* aerokits, chrome gascap and a spoiler). I will most likely never see that exact setup at the local dealership, its too specific on a low volume car.

But I'm of the (apparently) "crazy" mindset that if I'm paying $30,000 or more for a car I should get exactly what I want. Instead of people who buy the metallic copper car because they had to have a new car RIGHT NOW!
That is why you can order the car you want, with the options you want, and wait 6 weeks.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

The XLR. a Cadillac I be happy to be seen behind the wheel of. Even if I'm not a black drug dealer/rap musician.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

That is why you can order the car you want, with the options you want, and wait 6 weeks.
Believe it or not there are a few dealers who won't special order if similar stock is on the lot. I won't name names, but they're HUUUUGE!

majorloser

majorloser

True, there's an "exclusivity" behind certain cars that even if performance is lacking the sheer audacity of the asking price makes certain people lust for it. Fortunately where I live beemers are known as Bellybutton Motor Works. If you ask why, you don't live down here.:D
B M "Trouble You" :D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
B M "Trouble You" :D
That's what I told cavewife, beemers after warranty is up are notorious for expensive repairs, Infinities on the other hand are bullet proof, I still have a '97 I-30 that I kept for the office to schlep things around and the odometer just turned to 200,500 miles, the oil is changed whenever someone remembers. The only expense is gas, tires and a new battery every four years.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis