Andrew Jones or something else?

A

allen_in_texas

Audioholic Intern
I'm buying a 2.0 system on a budget and I have already ordered a Dayton APA150 amp. The last remaining component I need is speakers. I've been hearing great things about the Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52 floorstanders, but at $250 for the pair, they are at the highest end of my budget range. If anything is comparable in sound, but cheaper I'd love to hear about them.

Also, the specs I've read say the frequency response goes down to about 40 Hz. I am not usually a huge fan of bass, but I'd like to get a sense of whether I'll be missing that lowest audible octave. I haven't seen any frequency response curves, so I don't know how sharply the response falls off below 40 Hz.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm buying a 2.0 system on a budget and I have already ordered a Dayton APA150 amp. The last remaining component I need is speakers. I've been hearing great things about the Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52 floorstanders, but at $250 for the pair, they are at the highest end of my budget range. If anything is comparable in sound, but cheaper I'd love to hear about them.

Also, the specs I've read say the frequency response goes down to about 40 Hz. I am not usually a huge fan of bass, but I'd like to get a sense of whether I'll be missing that lowest audible octave. I haven't seen any frequency response curves, so I don't know how sharply the response falls off below 40 Hz.
I've only heard the Pios in Best Buy, but they sounded pretty good for a store demo.

For budget towers, I think there are 2 clear choices. Either those AJ Pios that mentioned or the Infinity Primus 363.

I think those Pios can be found cheaper if you are patient.

Also, the Primus is often sold at Fry's (north Austin) for $99 each, just wait a few weeks and the sale will come back. For most music, the Primus won't need a sub. However, the Primus measures more like 4ohm speakers, so that might be tough on that Dayton amp.

If those are really pushing your budget, then consider bookshelves, but expect to give up some bass.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
At the price point you are talking about, you can't have decent sound with really deep bass, unless you find a good deal on something used. Judging from the reviews, the Pioneer SP-FS52 speakers are likely the best you can get new at their price point. Keep in mind, you may be able to wait for a sale to get a better price on them.

J

jm78

Junior Audioholic
See how everybody got their own opinion. Go listen for yourself to decide if you can.

Having owned both the pioneer sp-fs52 and the infinity p363, I would choose the infinity p363. I think they are unbeatable at it's price range.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Polk Audio New Monitor 55T Two-Way Ported Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Cherry) Each - Newegg.com with code pa55 gets you 55% off, add 2 to the cart and then the code and the total is like $235 for the pair..... Not bad and I always like the sound of the Polk stuff... Although I haven't heard these I have heard the model up in this series {i think it was 65t} and they were nice...

just something else to consider.

Also don't worry about the apa150 and 4 ohm speakers it is rated for them in stereo {mono it says 8 but I run 6's on a set and they work great}..

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Where in Texas are you? Have you tried the local Craigslist or equivalent?

Are you up for DIY?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
See how everybody got their own opinion. Go listen for yourself to decide if you can.

Having owned both the pioneer sp-fs52 and the infinity p363, I would choose the infinity p363. I think they are unbeatable at it's price range.
I have the opposite opinion. I had the 162's(similar to 163 and 363 I'm sure) and found something missing as did our members j_garcia and ahblaza. I bought the 52's and problem resolved. I don't have them anymore check my sig. :( I would re-buy them in a minute. If you have a local frys or bestbuy I would audition them first.

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
... If you have a local frys or bestbuy I would audition them first.
This is definitely what one should be doing. There is nothing like listening for oneself, preferably to music with which one is familiar.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Polk Monitors don't even come close to the FS52s. The Infinitys are good, but not better than the Pioneers. This one is a slam dunk IMO = FS52s. I listened to my BS22s first as well - for about 3 minutes and then I bought them :)

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I've heard both the p363 and the fs52, but only the fs52 at home. I can honestly say in the first 2 minutes of listening to the 52's I was sold. I haven't seen them on sale as much lately, but one place to check is Tiger Direct since Best Buy will match online retailers. Tiger Direct always had a lower price than anyone else when I was looking.

J

jm78

Junior Audioholic
I have the opposite opinion. I had the 162's(similar to 163 and 363 I'm sure) and found something missing as did our members j_garcia and ahblaza. I bought the 52's and problem resolved. I don't have them anymore check my sig. :( I would re-buy them in a minute. If you have a local frys or bestbuy I would audition them first.
You can't just say didn't like the 162's as much and then dismiss p363's. The p363 is the star of the primus lineup. The p162 midrange can't compare to it. I'm not the biggest fan of the p162/163, but I need to match my set.

To be honest, I like the pioneer bs-22 bookshelf better than the p163 for desktop speakers. I tried both out. I am contemplating getting the pioneer bookshelf again for that purpose. I would guess the pioneers would lose out the farther out you go, due to greater output needs.

The fs-52's and center however were giving me noticeable sibilance, I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this. They are way less dynamic as well. The fs-52's sound really small in comparison.

The primus are way better speakers for movies IMO due to the sibilance especially. For two channel or 2.1, the p363 for me is unbeatable at its price range.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis