Analog to digital connection

R

renegademom

Audiophyte
:confused:Our cable tv company has just gone digital. I have a 'regular' (i.e. not HD) TV with a set top cable box and my dvd recorder is analog with tv tuner. I now cannot get 'signal' to the recorder as I did before with a splitter. Is there any way I can connect so I can record programs or am I going to have to invest in a digital dvr? Please help me! Thanks a bunch.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

A couple of ideas come to mind:
  • For the regular screw-in cable connections, you should be able to connect the cable box output to the DVD recorder input, then connect the DVD recorder output to the TV input. That should let you record whatever station the cable box is tuned to, and watch whatever station the cable box is tuned to.
  • If your cable box has audio and video RCA connections (the white/red/yellow jacks), and you DVD recorder has those inputs, then you could get the signal to the recorder that way.
The downside to either of these is that you'd be recording whatever station the cable box is tuned to and wouldn't be able to record one show while watching a different one on your TV.

If you let us know which cable box and which DVD recorder you have, we might be able to help more.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It is worth mentioning that if you use the DVD recorder to get normal TV shows, then you may be much happier with a digital DVR. The DVR is phenomenal compared to the DVDR. The ability to tell it to record first run TV shows easily for a whole season, and to just press a couple of buttons to start a recording is a real step forward.

Likewise, the ability to record one show while watching another - or record to shows at once while away from home... It's all fantastic.

You do have some other options you can do as well, and your best results to record from a cable box occur when you use the composite video (yellow/RCA) and analog audio (red-white/RCA) connections. But, you may have an RF connection from your cable box still... or perhaps can get a cable box with one.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis