Analog sound: Real or myth?

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Anyone use a beanie?
I wear one at work during winter. The difference I hear between vinyl and CD is like wearing the beanie covering my ears(vinyl) and taking it off(CD). It's like things are slightly muffled/warm and the HF are dulled with vinyl.

And before anyone jumps down my throat....no I didn't do blind A/B tests, and I don't really care to do any.....its just how it sounded to me.......and yeah that big round thing with a lid on it is staying in the shed:p

Are you ready to RRRUUUUMMMMBBBLLLLLEEEE?:D

cheers:)

P

Pluck

Audioholic Intern
I did some clicking around, and now I realize just how naive my posting was in the first place. This analog v digital debate is a complete setpiece. I'm reminded of the prison lifers who have come to number their jokes. Anyway, folks, I didn't come here for that debate so I'm going to stop. Frankly, I wish I hadn't posted in the thread because it's got nothing to do with why I'm here. I have other reasons for being here, and I hope I can ask my other questions in other threads without this thing following me around.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Pluck said:
I did some clicking around, and now I realize just how naive my posting was in the first place. This analog v digital debate is a complete setpiece. I'm reminded of the prison lifers who have come to number their jokes. Anyway, folks, I didn't come here for that debate so I'm going to stop. Frankly, I wish I hadn't posted in the thread because it's got nothing to do with why I'm here. I have other reasons for being here, and I hope I can ask my other questions in other threads without this thing following me around.
There are audiophiles and then there are audiophiles. The first audiophile believes in directional cables, styrofoam lifters for cables, and that no matter the circumstances LP sounds better. The second audiophile uses logic to determine that cables and interconnects do not influence sound and spend their hard earned money buying the pieces of a system that influence the sound.

LP has it's points, but there CDs do as well, and include well mastered MP3s as well. Each format has weakness and strength. Depending on how the masters are handled or the care taken when putting the master on a format each will sound different and some may sound better than the other, but never will it be the same format everytime.

I rest my case here.

PS. the Bose cracks are silly, stop! Nobody here thinks that Bose is a choice system.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Pluck said:
I have other reasons for being here, and I hope I can ask my other questions in other threads without this thing following me around.
Of course you can. You survived the trial by fire.

I like the way Seth summed it up: 'There are audiophiles and then there are audiophiles. The first audiophile believes in directional cables, styrofoam lifters for cables, and that no matter the circumstances LP sounds better. The second audiophile uses logic to determine that cables and interconnects do not influence sound and spend their hard earned money buying the pieces of a system that influence the sound.'

Most of us here are the second kind of audiophile.

P

Pluck

Audioholic Intern
I'm going to step away from any of those debates. I have opinions on only a couple of them, and those opinions aren't nearly as strident as they have seemed in this thread. In any case, I have some specific things I wanted to ask on this and a couple other sites. As soon as the administrator here gives me permission to start threads you'll see what I mean. My questions have utterly nothing to do with these setpiece arguments.

Last edited:
T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
Pluck said:
You don't want to accept what I wrote about the test with my mother because it conflicts with your beliefs.

She wasn't the only person I did the test with. I generally don't hang out with audiophiles; most of my friends and relatives are completely unfamiliar with any controversy regarding digital v. analog, and they're the ones I've occasionally tested this on.

It hasn't always worked in favor of analog. There have been times when people said they couldn't tell any difference. I attribute these differences to the rooms. In the one place, every single person preferred analog. The difference was plainly audible. In the other place, only a couple people picked up on any differences. The equipment was the same. Only the room was different.

I can say this much: No one has ever told me they preferred digital to analog. The best digital has ever done in these tests is equal. Analog is still the standard. The other thing I've learned over the years is how important the listening room is.

I know you still won't accept any of this. So be it. The bottom line is that audio equipment is still just a consumer product. You like what you like.
I'm sure everyone accepts your point that analogue systems can sound very good. I think the disagreement is where most of us think that the best digital systems are more transparent than the best analog systems. I take it to be your view to be that the reverse is true?

Transparency is surely the goal of all aspects of the audio chain, from the microphone in the recording studio to the loudspeakers in your own home. I entirely agree that vinyl records can sound better than CD's, but I would attribute this difference to the lower fidelity of the vinyl record, i.e. the vinyl record alters the sound from the artist's original intentions, as presented on the original studio master tape.

I thought that you might be interested in this short description of analogue tape systems from the Britannica:

'At the high-frequency end of the spectrum the weakest link is still the cassette. While many decks can claim a frequency response (+/- 3 dB) to 18000 Hz and a few go to 20000 Hz or slightly beyond, the response measurement in this case is made at a low (-20 dB) signal level. At a 0-dB recording level even premium-quality ferric and chromium dioxide-type cassettes begin to reach tape saturation at about 7 000 Hz; with metal-particle cassettes this high-frequency saturation point is extended nearly an octave higher (14 000 Hz).'

'Studio master tapes can be made with the professional Dolby-A noise-reduction system to approach 80 dB [dynamic range], and the consumer Dolby-C system can raise the measured signal-to-noise figures for cassettes to about 70 or 72 dB. (A different noise-reduction system, dbx, can achieve a dynamic range of nearly 100 dB, but its incompatibility with the widely available Dolby-B and Dolby-C systems has tended to limit its availablity.)'

Encyclopedia Britannica, 15th edition (1989), Volume 27, 'Sound', page 625.

This compares to a possible TPDF-dithered 93 dB dynamic range of 16 bit digital, and with light noise shaping, the subjective dynamic range can be extended by a further 18 dB. High-quality digital audio recorders typically have a very flat frequency response extending all the way to 20 kHz, and many have a response extending far beyond this. Linear and non-linear errors introduced by analogue-to-digital and digital-to-analogue conversions can be evaluated by constructing theoretical models of the converter and by conducting experimental tests on the converter itself.

P

Pluck

Audioholic Intern
tbewick said:
I'm sure everyone accepts your point that analogue systems can sound very good. I think the disagreement is where most of us think that the best digital systems are more transparent than the best analog systems. I take it to be your view to be that the reverse is true?

Transparency is surely the goal of all aspects of the audio chain, from the microphone in the recording studio to the loudspeakers in your own home. I entirely agree that vinyl records can sound better than CD's, but I would attribute this difference to the lower fidelity of the vinyl record, i.e. the vinyl record alters the sound from the artist's original intentions, as presented on the original studio master tape.

I thought that you might be interested in this short description of analogue tape systems from the Britannica:

'At the high-frequency end of the spectrum the weakest link is still the cassette. While many decks can claim a frequency response (+/- 3 dB) to 18000 Hz and a few go to 20000 Hz or slightly beyond, the response measurement in this case is made at a low (-20 dB) signal level. At a 0-dB recording level even premium-quality ferric and chromium dioxide-type cassettes begin to reach tape saturation at about 7 000 Hz; with metal-particle cassettes this high-frequency saturation point is extended nearly an octave higher (14 000 Hz).'

'Studio master tapes can be made with the professional Dolby-A noise-reduction system to approach 80 dB [dynamic range], and the consumer Dolby-C system can raise the measured signal-to-noise figures for cassettes to about 70 or 72 dB. (A different noise-reduction system, dbx, can achieve a dynamic range of nearly 100 dB, but its incompatibility with the widely available Dolby-B and Dolby-C systems has tended to limit its availablity.)'

Encyclopedia Britannica, 15th edition (1989), Volume 27, 'Sound', page 625.

This compares to a possible TPDF-dithered 93 dB dynamic range of 16 bit digital, and with light noise shaping, the subjective dynamic range can be extended by a further 18 dB. High-quality digital audio recorders typically have a very flat frequency response extending all the way to 20 kHz, and many have a response extending far beyond this. Linear and non-linear errors introduced by analogue-to-digital and digital-to-analogue conversions can be evaluated by constructing theoretical models of the converter and by conducting experimental tests on the converter itself.
Well, I never wanted to put myself in the position of arguing that analog is superior to digital. That's for each listener to decide. A more accurate way to say it would be that I think analog is by its nature the reference point. What we're all seeking is accurate reproduction by whatever means possible. As far as specs and theory go, that approach definitely has its uses, yet I view them as adjuncts to my ears. "Fidelity" is an interesting concept. To me, it's not the sum of separation and resolution. When it comes to sound, the only god I bow to is the god of music.

I've never preferred the digital version to the analog version. At times, I have found the digital version indistinguishable from analog, i.e., just as good. That is happening more often as digital improves. To me, any advantages from digital come in the storage and handling of data, i.e., convenience, and those advantages are considerable.

I'm not against digital. Other way around. As it improves, I am finding digital more acceptable. In fact, when once I get past this issue I have about my forum registration being confirmed you'll see from the questions that I'll be asking that I'm anything but an "analog snob." I'm interested in the whole music server concept and have a bunch of questions related to them. If I thought digital was terrible I wouldn't be interested in music servers.

But I still love analog best. So, even as I'm inquiring about digital music servers I might also start a separate quest backwards toward reel-to-reel tape decks to play copies of analog masters. It's not something I've ever explored; I know nothing about it, and therefore maybe it's impractical. I realize how contradictory all of this is, but if there's one thing that'll never change it is my inconsistency. It makes me a sitting duck in any religious war, sort of like the Bahais in Iran. It's a little unnerving at times. :cool:

Last edited:
A

allsop4now

Audioholic Intern
Seth=L said:
When speaking about audio quality you almost always should be looking at the source of the recording and not so much the medium used. Most music production companies record the master tracks digitally now days. Very few still record analog.
Even fewer open a brand new all-analogue recording studio: http://www.grangestudios.co.uk/

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Pluck said:
To me, an audiophile is no different than someone who owns a really expensive wheelchair
Thats my new slogan:D

D

davetroy

Junior Audioholic
Glad to see we're all getting along. Now can someone please tell me where I can get a good aftermarket power cord for under $1,000? :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
davetroy said:
Glad to see we're all getting along. Now can someone please tell me where I can get a good aftermarket power cord for under $1,000? :)
Cut the one off the fridge.:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Seth=L said:
Cut the one off the fridge.:D

No, no, not that. You will have a load of spoiled eating:eek:
Maybe that heater, or toaster.:D

D

davetroy

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for your help. I ended up cutting one off the fridge and attaching it to my amp. At first, the sound was a little cold, as expected, but after a little bit of freezer burn-in, the sound warmed up, and now I'd describe it as fresh but lacking punch.

Don't ask me about the feed-back.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
davetroy said:
Thanks for your help. I ended up cutting one off the fridge and attaching it to my amp. At first, the sound was a little cold, as expected, but after a little bit of freezer burn-in, the sound warmed up, and now I'd describe it as fresh but lacking punch.

Don't ask me about the feed-back.
Try the one on the stove, it should heat your sound up.:D I am going to use that.:D

T

tubesaregood

Audioholic
Seth=L said:
Try the one on the stove, it should heat your sound up.:D I am going to use that.:D
It'll give it a warm "tube" sound.

I would recommend using a washing machine cord. The sound will be very clean and bright - no mud.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
tubesaregood said:
It'll give it a warm "tube" sound.

I would recommend using a washing machine cord. The sound will be very clean and bright - no mud.
You could use the washing machine for your lows and the dryer for the highs.:D That would even things out in a bi-wire scenario.:D

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Seth=L said:
Try the one on the stove, it should heat your sound up.:D
use the one off the toster if the one off the stove makes the sound too warm. :D

I use cables made from old stoves to warm the sound up.
I like the changes to the sig, Seth. lol :D

D

davetroy

Junior Audioholic
I just tried the one from my electric razor. Terrible skin effect.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis