Analog outputs (5.1) and digital (coax/optical) connected at the same time?

E

Engine Joe

Junior Audioholic
OK, so I recently purchased the Onkyo 702 Receiver, and I am buying a friend's Denon 3910 universal DVD player.

General issues about which of the two devices has better DACs aside, I'm trying to grapple with the audio connections I will make.

I want to take advantage of the 3910's SACD and DVD-A capabilities, and as such, I'll have to use the 5.1 analog outs on the Denon for that purpose. For DVD movies, and NON SACD/DVD-A music, I would - in theory - like to use the digital (optical or coax) outs. Does the Denon do this - will it use the analog 5.1 outs for DVD-A or SACD and then swithc to the digital outs for DTS or DD for DVD movies? Or do I have to change the output settings manually each time?

At the same time, as long as I have (for example) Coax In 1 set to the DVD player on my receiver, will it still look to the 5.1 analog inputs when a SACD or DVD-A is being played on the 3910, or will I have to manually indicate to the receiver what the source is each time I switch?

Moreover, will there be a situation where, for example, I play a DVD movie and the Denon spits out audio both through the analog and digital outputs, and the Onkyo similarly plays both since there is signal coming through both from the assigned digital input for DVD and for the analog 5.1 inputs for DVD?

Sorry to ask what is probably a fairly obvious question -- but the Denon manual (and website) are as clear as mud... and the Onkyo manual is silent.

Thanks!

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
First of all, congrats on an excellent DVD player. I've had my 3910 for few months now and absolutely love it.

As far as the connections, you'll want some sort of digital audio out (either coax or optical) from the 3910 to your receiver for movies and CDs (if you decide to let the Onkyo do the D/A conversion). You'll also need 5.1 analog cabling for SACD and DVD-A. Finally, I'd suggest using another pair of analog RCAs for 2-channel music. I use the digital connection with my DVD input, the analog pair for my CD input, and the 5.1 analogs for what Denon refers to as "External In." The audio section of the 3910 is unbelievable and I let it do almost all of my D/A conversion. When switching from 5.1 analog to, let's say a Dolby Digital DVD, you'll need to change sources with your receiver. I'm not familiar with the Onkyo, but with my Denon 3805 when playing an SACD or DVD-A, I tell it to use the analog inputs by pressing the "External In" button. This bypasses all tone controls and distance settings, which is fine because of the capabilities of the 3910 and its bass management. Again, I'm not familiar with how the Onkyo handles its 5.1 inputs, but I'm sure that it's similar to the Denon 3805.

Good Luck!

Jason

E

Engine Joe

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the tips! Looks like the Onkyo does something similar - a one-button oress to switch back and forth between multich. and digital audio in. Then again, if what you're saying is true - and the DAC on the 3910 ends up being superior to the Onkyo... well things get even easier. Can't wait to test and see!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You've got it right. On the Onkyo, you just use the multi-ch input to get the signal from the 5.1 analog inputs. If you use the dvd input, you will be using the digital input (assuming you have the dvd player setup to output 'bitstream').

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Engine Joe said:
Moreover, will there be a situation where, for example, I play a DVD movie and the Denon spits out audio both through the analog and digital outputs, and the Onkyo similarly plays both since there is signal coming through both from the assigned digital input for DVD and for the analog 5.1 inputs for DVD?

Sorry to ask what is probably a fairly obvious question -- but the Denon manual (and website) are as clear as mud... and the Onkyo manual is silent.

Thanks!
you can cheat by ruuning one set to the DVD input (prolly the 5.1) and the analog to the CD input. This will not only make it so you don't have to switch input types, you will also be able to take advantage of any direct mode your receiver might have for your analog.

It doesn't matter that two signals are going to the receiver, as it will only play the one you select (think about it- the tuner is always sending a signal, the receiver just ignores it)

As long as you don't send a signal back to the DVD player (ie trying to record itself), there is virtually no chance of damaging your electronics using 2 inputs. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis