D

dseng

Enthusiast
I've been reading and hanging out here for a few weeks as I tried to gather information about what kind of AV receiver to purchase and to learn about speakers. I recently purchased a Denon 1907 receiver - primarily because Denon is the only brand carried by the sole AV shop in our community (and there's no such thing as driving to another town from here - it's either airplane or boat!). Along the way I kept on reading the phrase "dynamic headroom" and never really understood what it meant - until I read the article referenced below. As I read, a whole series of little lightbulbs turned on in my head and I let out a long drawn out, "Ohhhhhhh, that's what this is all about". For any newbies like me, it can't hurt to read it. http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/109459.html

For any of you more experienced and knowledgeable folks that care to review it - is what is being stated accurate? Should I consider returning my 1907 and aim at a receiver with a few more watts?

Thanks,
Dave

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I've been reading and hanging out here for a few weeks as I tried to gather information about what kind of AV receiver to purchase and to learn about speakers. I recently purchased a Denon 1907 receiver - primarily because Denon is the only brand carried by the sole AV shop in our community (and there's no such thing as driving to another town from here - it's either airplane or boat!). Along the way I kept on reading the phrase "dynamic headroom" and never really understood what it meant - until I read the article referenced below. As I read, a whole series of little lightbulbs turned on in my head and I let out a long drawn out, "Ohhhhhhh, that's what this is all about". For any newbies like me, it can't hurt to read it. http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/109459.html

For any of you more experienced and knowledgeable folks that care to review it - is what is being stated accurate? Should I consider returning my 1907 and aim at a receiver with a few more watts?

Thanks,
Dave

Don't worry about returning it. The small gain in watts will do nothing. Remember - it takes double the power to get a gain of only 3dB. If you really think you need more in the amplifier department, use the pre-outs and buy some good separate amps. Buying a higher model receiver (unless we're talking 5805) to get more powerful amps is a waste of your money.

D

dseng

Enthusiast
As I posted the original post I thought about an amp and wondered if I should have asked about it - but as usual, the Audioholics regulars can point things out even before they're asked!:) Thanks!!!!

It's so typical - the more I learn the more I understand that I really know very little! But the learning is fun and along the way I'm going to be getting better sound AND video!

This is quite literally one of the VERY BEST web sites and forum communities that I've ever come across.

Dave
(ps - a 5805 is WAY out of my price range - LOL!)

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
As I posted the original post I thought about an amp and wondered if I should have asked about it - but as usual, the Audioholics regulars can point things out even before they're asked!:) Thanks!!!!

It's so typical - the more I learn the more I understand that I really know very little! But the learning is fun and along the way I'm going to be getting better sound AND video!

This is quite literally one of the VERY BEST web sites and forum communities that I've ever come across.

Dave
(ps - a 5805 is WAY out of my price range - LOL!)
Thanks for the kind words. I figured that the 5805 would be out of the question if you owned a 1907, otherwise you would've gone for the beast. Hope you enjoy your time on the boards.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
3dB of headroom IS noticable though...when you DON'T have it. Yes you need 2X the power to get an appreciable difference, but more power never hurts anything, it is too little power that usually causes a problem. So the real question is, what speakers do you have in what size room? If they don't sound strained at your listening levels, you probably don't need to upgrade.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
3dB of headroom IS noticable though...when you DON'T have it. Yes you need 2X the power to get an appreciable difference, but more power never hurts anything, it is too little power that usually causes a problem. So the real question is, what speakers do you have in what size room? If they don't sound strained at your listening levels, you probably don't need to upgrade.
Yes, but no receiver he can afford will give him anywhere near this, hence my statement. Again, it would be best to pick up some beefy external amps to gain more headroom.

D

dseng

Enthusiast
It's actually probably not that big of an issue for me - while I have a large room (~2850 cubic feet) - the volume levels that we listen at are usually fairly low.

My speaker plans are to use my existing Klipsch RB-15's as surrounds, pick up a pair of Axiom M60's and a VP100 center, and top it all off with a HSU VTF2.3.

The thing that I really learned (or think that I learned) is that having enough power available can have an impact on the "quality" of the sound. That "dynamic headroom" is essentially having the available unused capacity to be able to deal with sound levels that stretch the capacity of the system - and that it's not a static definition, but that there are a number of variables that can affect the ability of a given system in a given environment to reproduce the sound accurately. Kind of right in line with what j_garcia was pointing out.

There's got to be some kind of mathematical relationship that could define the optimum (not under or over-powered) setup for a given room and listener - but my mind boggles at the thought of acquiring the necessary metrics and deriving it - besides, that would take some of the fun out of the whole thing, wouldn't it? Or would that be the ultimate cure to upgradeitis?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Loud is the relative term :) How loud is loud to each person is the determining factor in how much speaker and how much power you want (vs need).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis