Amps: significance of balanced inputs?

B

bjelicas

Audiophyte
Some of the amps I'm considering have balanced inputs (Outlaw, Parasound) while another one (NAD) doesn't.

How important are balanced inputs considering the cables short runs?

Thanks

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
My Thought

Balanced inputs are the old Disc Jockey trick for long runs of cable. It's suppose to be a little less noise introducing. But, for normal home use, I wouldn't give it priority. To me, it's just another get high audiophile drug that is circulating around on home audio.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
For short cable runs, say less than 10 feet, I doubt you'll hear a difference. In theory balanced is always better due to common mode noise cancellation, but unless you're a belt and suspenders perfectionist they're not critical.

In the name of full disclosure, I use balanced cables whenever possible, regardless of length. But that's just me.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Deferential balanced audio signal is used to give better electromagnetic noise rejection in a differential amplifier after long cable runs for high power (read, concert level) or ultra low noise (recording studio) applications. Using differential balanced audio signals (and associated wiring) for home use is overkill and of no audible improvement when compared to well made cables (Monoprice/Blue Jean/Monster Cables) and RCA connectors.

Using RCA to XLR attachments are of little value. Instead, an unbalanced to balanced signal converter must be used before transmission. If the amp doesn't accept XLR connections, the conversion needs to be reversed to feed RCA connections. Further, most home audio amps convert the differential balanced signal to the equivalent of the signal from RCA connections (i.e. single ended or unbalanced). True differential amps for the home audio use are not cheap, like the Emotiva XPA-1.

Note: I site Monster Cables for quality not value.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just replaced a pair of 4m cheap Monster RCA with a pair of 19 ft balanced expensive Blue Jeans (to me) interconnects for my Oppo to preamp. No difference whatsoever. The short 4 ft pair between the pre and the power are also unbalanced and also makes no difference as expected. All 3 components are of the true differential type. So unless your setup is susceptiable to noise/interference issues, unbalanced types are fine.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Very important!!!!!!
They make a clicking sound when they're in properly!
I'm on that page. There's something to be said for the overall higher quality and the precision of a nice XLR connector.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Very important!!!!!!
They make a clicking sound when they're in properly!
Mine do sound like that but I am not sure if click = in properly. I am sure no click = not in properly though.:D

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
When mines in properly i dont hear a "click" its more like an "uuhhhh"!!! :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey guys, I use Monster Cable XLR balanced cables, OK!:eek:

It's very important.:D

Yes, Monster Cable!:cool::D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis