Amplifier recommendations

S

sleeper52

Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I've decided to get the upgraded Tekton Design Double Impact Font L/R along with the Wide Center. I will be relegating my Tekton Pendragons to Rear Surround duty. I would like to know what amplifier you guys recommend for a budget of around $4k to $5k? I was thinking of getting a ATI Signature Series AT6003 or Parasound A31 to power the Front L/R and Center.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I wish I could help you because I’m in the same boat as you. I’m looking for an amp for my new speakers. I was going to buy the double impact but, then the Focal kanta No 2. i pick up for a bargain. Enjoying your Double Impacts? I will watch this thread because I need an amp, so I’m learning which to buy.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi guys,

I've decided to get the upgraded Tekton Design Double Impact Font L/R along with the Wide Center. I will be relegating my Tekton Pendragons to Rear Surround duty. I would like to know what amplifier you guys recommend for a budget of around $4k to $5k? I was thinking of getting a ATI Signature Series AT6003 or Parasound A31 to power the Front L/R and Center.
Those amps are unnecessarily heavy I'm, ATI's newer class D amps make more sense to me, ymmv..

S

sleeper52

Enthusiast
I wish I could help you because I’m in the same boat as you. I’m looking for an amp for my new speakers. I was going to buy the double impact but, then the Focal kanta No 2. i pick up for a bargain. Enjoying your Double Impacts? I will watch this thread because I need an amp, so I’m learning which to buy.
I actually have not purchased the DIs yet. I will purchase them before the year ends for sure. As of right now, the Pendragons are still in place :) I am leaning towards the ATI AT6000 series but would like to hear what people say and recommend. How much did you get the Focal's for if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Are all the Tektons supposed to be really high efficiency speakers? Including the DI?

If you have really high efficiency speakers, then why go all out on an amp that will never be anywhere near rated power?

S

sleeper52

Enthusiast
Are all the Tektons supposed to be really high efficiency speakers? Including the DI?

If you have really high efficiency speakers, then why go all out on an amp that will never be anywhere near rated power?
I might change my speaker setup in the future so it would be nice to have an amp that give you that leeway. What amps would you suggest?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I might change my speaker setup in the future so it would be nice to have an amp that give you that leeway. What amps would you suggest?
What is your current setup? I think you're over-worried about amp.

S

sleeper52

Enthusiast
What is your current setup? I think you're over-worried about amp.
I will be purchasing the Double Impacts by the end of the year so I will have the Tekton Double Impacts F/L and Wide Center. The rear surrounds will be powered by the Tekton Pendragons. As of now, I will be using an older receiver, a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030, as pre-amp but I am thinking of upgrading them to a Marantz 8805 or Yamaha CX-A5200.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will be purchasing the Double Impacts by the end of the year so I will have the Tekton Double Impacts F/L and Wide Center. The rear surrounds will be powered by the Tekton Pendragons. As of now, I will be using an older receiver, a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030, as pre-amp but I am thinking of upgrading them to a Marantz 8805 or Yamaha CX-A5200.
So you're concerned about Tekton"s over-inflating of sensitivity spec? What spl goals do you have particularly?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are in the camp of Audyssey non believers and don't need more than 11 channels, I see no reason to pay more for the AV8805.

S

sleeper52

Enthusiast
So you're concerned about Tekton"s over-inflating of sensitivity spec? What spl goals do you have particularly?
I wouldn't say I'm concerned if the sensitivity spec is over-inflated. I just want to find a good sounding amp to pair with the speakers and the necessary power for future needs/changes (ie. swapping to another speaker set).

If you are in the camp of Audyssey non believers and don't need more than 11 channels, I see no reason to pay more for the AV8805.
You recommend the CX-A5200 over the Marantz then?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't say I'm concerned if the sensitivity spec is over-inflated. I just want to find a good sounding amp to pair with the speakers and the necessary power for future needs/changes (ie. swapping to another speaker set).

You recommend the CX-A5200 over the Marantz then?
Again, only if you don't believe in REQ, or you do, but believe YPAO is just as good or better, and assuming you are considering AVPs only.

For me personally, I prefer the Marantz because I trust Audyssey can improve low frequency response, but then I also believe the SR7012/13, and the Denon equivalents are just as good for a lot less.

N

noclue

Audioholic
I was told today that you need a AV processor if you use a amp. can anyone tell me if this is true. he stated that the trigger doesn't have enough volts to keep the amp watts going full.
I always just thought that the trigger was used to turn the amp on nothing else

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Sleeper, I'm also looking at that set up. Minus the Pen''s as surrounds. :) If I do, I'm planning of going Emotiva for my Amp and the XPA DR3 for fronts. Eric says they can handle the power, and I've seen other comments from the sparse reviews that Tek's and Emo play nice. And even though they are high sens, they also seem to bloom with that larger power.
Cheers!

S

sleeper52

Enthusiast
Again, only if you don't believe in REQ, or you do, but believe YPAO is just as good or better, and assuming you are considering AVPs only.

For me personally, I prefer the Marantz because I trust Audyssey can improve low frequency response, but then I also believe the SR7012/13, and the Denon equivalents are just as good for a lot less.
These receivers don't have balanced outputs. Is having balanced XLR outputs not that important?
Are receivers also equipped to handle external amplification of 300 watts RMS per channel? I am actually worried that my Yamaha RX-A2030 won't be able to handle the AT6005.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Balanced outputs may be useful if you need to make longer runs of cables, to combat noise particularly. The receiver merely provides an external amp a signal, it doesn't "handle" the amp, it doesn't care what power rating the amp has, the more relevant spec is if the avr's pre-outs supply sufficient voltage for the amp's sensitivity (1.95V per the ATI AT6000 page).

S

sleeper52

Enthusiast
Balanced outputs may be useful if you need to make longer runs of cables, to combat noise particularly. The receiver merely provides an external amp a signal, it doesn't "handle" the amp, it doesn't care what power rating the amp has, the more relevant spec is if the avr's pre-outs supply sufficient voltage for the amp's sensitivity (1.95V per the ATI AT6000 page).
Thanks. Very useful info.

D

Deftechforever

Audiophyte
hi, i'm new to this site, and looking for some AMP recommendations As Well. Sorry not trying to hijack your Thread.
currently have:
BP7002 L/R
CLR3000 Center
BPX Rears & Sides
2X SVS 16 Ultra for Subs.
i love the way my system sounds, adding 4 ceiling speakers in the next 6 months, and looking to good with an External AMP.
i'm currently powering all the Speakers with a Pioneer SC-27 140W X7, all channels Driven.
i know my front 3 Speakers have a built in AMP, and don't require a lot of power, but still want to go Separates. will be replacing the receiver as well.
looking for 11 channels total, considering 3 Emotiva AMPs. XPA-3 for the 3 fronts, and 2 XPA-4 for the Surrounds and Ceilings.
any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Having just purchase an low cost (relatively speaking) mono block and learned something new, I would like to add that one should be a little more cautious about the manufacturer's specified pre-out voltage. Call their tech support about it, and/or search for reviews that included bench test measurements. Like the power consumption thing, they don't typically include much details about the test/measured conditions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis