Amp to Preamp Interconnects

H

hawk14

Audioholic Intern
Hey fellas, I'm about to switch from a receiver to separates and I want to know your opinions on the interconnects between the amp and preamp. I'm doing 5 channel setup. Because I need 5 interconnects, what can I get away with in terms of quality vs. value. I've long been a 2-channel guy and the interconnects I have, Kimber Hero, serve my system well. But do I have to spend that kind of money or more for 5 separate interconnects to get decent to great performance out of my home theater setup? Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
No, you definitely do not have to spend a fortune on interconnects from the preamp to amp. You're talking about a line-level signal that is typically 1 volt.

If you want color coding to match the channels, buy a set of 5.1 analog audio cables that are meant for the multi-channel input on a receiver. Otherwise, 3 pairs of any other stereo cables will do.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I will say this: I have millions of the type of RCA cables that have come with equipment (VCR's, tape decks, DVD players, ect), and it posed problems with my amp/preamp in the form of hum and noise.

I used a pair of Straightwire Chorus to fix mine (as I got it for a real good deal), but something like the Belden 1694 or LC-1 from BJC should do very nicely.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't think I had to explicitly state 'don't use the super thin crap wires that come with the equipment'. :D

But...any reasonably well constructed and properly shielded audio cable will work just fine, whether it costs $15 or $250.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Based on my testing, competently made cables don't alter the sound in a system. Competently made cables would not include active cables or cables with high inductance or capacitance measurements. And, of course, they wouldn't include cables that don't conduct electricity like those mentioned above.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Even monoprice cables would do fine, but I would also say BlueJeanscable is fine too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also recommend Blue Jeans Cable.

Are you connecting a pre-pro to a 5Ch amp?

itschris

itschris

I'll put my vote with Blue Jean as well. Unless you're going for the cool factor and just want BFSC's (Big Fat Supid Cables), any quality cable will do you just fine. Mind you, I'm a big fan of the BFSC, but you can nicely balance value with quality... that's why I like Blue Jean. If I didn't already have (eeek!) Monster M1000 interconnects from way past, I'd be using Blue Jean like did for all my other cables.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm using some interconnects that I got from Radio Shack over a decade ago. Work great. I happen to have them around the house when I got my separate amps, so that's what I used.

Granted, they weren't forged in the fires of Mount Doom by the greatest craftsmen of Middle Earth, but I sure can't hear any problems with them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I sold all my Kimber Kable, Vampire Wire, Audioquest, & Monster Cable on eBay. Gave all my Monoprice cables to the Salvation Army. And bought all Blue Jeans Cable - interconnects, HDMI, & speaker cables.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm using some interconnects that I got from Radio Shack over a decade ago. .
Yo mean after break in they don't 'break down?' LOL:D
Or, they are still in their prime of life:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yo mean after break in they don't 'break down?' LOL:D
Or, they are still in their prime of life:D
:) Sorry, wasn't talking about them chemically decomposing. Some people think that Radio Shack cables are junk, but they work fine for me. After over ten years, they've been connected and disconnected from equipment several times.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I sold all my Kimber Kable, Vampire Wire, Audioquest, & Monster Cable on eBay. Gave all my Monoprice cables to the Salvation Army. And bought all Blue Jeans Cable - interconnects, HDMI, & speaker cables.
Why, why so excessive? This post is just plain weird and.... I can't think of the word. It is raining, duck under a bridge for cover, transform into what you truly wish to be.:cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why, why so excessive? This post is just plain weird and.... I can't think of the word. It is raining, duck under a bridge for cover, transform into what you truly wish to be.:cool:
I guess I'm just weird.:D

I think I must have had about 50 monoprice cables in all or more. One of these days, maybe in 3 years, I'll probably get the Denon AVP + POA and end up with just 3 HDMI cables.:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I'm just weird.:D

I think I must have had about 50 monoprice cables in all or more. One of these days, maybe in 3 years, I'll probably get the Denon AVP + POA and end up with just 3 HDMI cables.:D
In three years we probably will have a new type of connection better than HDMI.

H

hawk14

Audioholic Intern
Thanks or all the responses. I am hooking up my Yamaha receiver to a 5 channel amp until I decide which Pre-Pro Im going to get. Looks like I will give Blue Jeans a serious look. Thanks again for the responses.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis