Amp through power conditioner?

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
I remember seeing several different opinions on this recently, but can't seem to find the thread.
Can/should an external amp (in this case, Emotiva LPA-1) be run through a power conditioner (APC H-10) or plugged directly into the wall outlet? If not, why?

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
That was it....thanks Adam! Looks like Emotiva recommends against it for the LPA's big brother, MPS-1. However, that amp is a SERIOUS monster. Based on those specs, I can see why the recommendation for a dedicated line for it. I'll have to give them a call. As the LPA doesn't have such stratospheric numbers, it seems more workable with something like my APC H-10. Plus, I'm kinda interested to see what their customer service is like. There are a bunch of folks over on the AVS forum that are really ticked at Emotiva over the LMC-1 and their alleged lack of response to bugs with it and inquiries on it. Curious to see for myself how responsive they are to customer questions. Can't always believe everything you read! :rolleyes:

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
In my opinion a power conditioner is usually a bad idea with anything of fairly high amperage like a power amp. It isn't of any meaningful value with lower current components but it won't hurt. It could hurt with a power amp by lowering the overhead and making it easier for a hard driven amp to go into clipping.

Surge protectors aren't necessary because power amps are fused. If you have erratic power, then you might want to keep some spare fuses on hand. Plug it right into the wall and enjoy the sounds.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
IMHO, The only time there would be a problem, is if your amp, and any other equipment had a greater current draw than the power conditioner, or wall receptacle could supply. That would only happen if the volume was turned up all the way.
A work around for this would be to install two power conditioners, and plug them into two different circuits. Use one for your amp only.
I ran two 20-amp dedicated circuits to my home theater.
Also I have the Emotiva MPS-1 in my living room (temporarily) and have had no problems with it plugged into a single conditioner.

I believe Emotiva's concern was that their amp wouldn't meet or beat it's rated output, unless it was fed a steady 120 volts ac.
This is true for all amplifiers.
Good Luck, let us know how you make out with their costumer service.
Rick

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Emotiva and H10

I remember seeing several different opinions on this recently, but can't seem to find the thread.
Can/should an external amp (in this case, Emotiva LPA-1) be run through a power conditioner (APC H-10) or plugged directly into the wall outlet? If not, why?
Ryan,
I happen to also have an H10 providing power protection and filtering to all my gear including an LCD TV, Yamaha Reciever, DVD, CD, SVS Subwoofer, AND an Emotiva LPA-1. Durring music and movie playback, most of the time the H10 indicates the 20% current level and occasionaly goes to 40%. Since this is no where near the 100% 12 Amp limit of the H10, I don't think it is a problem plugging the amp in to the H10.

If your gear plugged into the H10 is hitting the 80-100% current level then I would consider removing the amp from the power conditioner.

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
Ryan,
I happen to also have an H10 providing power protection and filtering to all my gear including an LCD TV, Yamaha Reciever, DVD, CD, SVS Subwoofer, AND an Emotiva LPA-1. Durring music and movie playback, most of the time the H10 indicates the 20% current level and occasionaly goes to 40%. Since this is no where near the 100% 12 Amp limit of the H10, I don't think it is a problem plugging the amp in to the H10.

If your gear plugged into the H10 is hitting the 80-100% current level then I would consider removing the amp from the power conditioner.

Thank you much for the input. As you can see from the signature, I'm running a similar setup to yours right now (minus the LPA-1) and, same as you, the H-10 really only blips above 20% during really high volume when the SVS gets to cranking. I'm thinking it should be fine.
The amp is scheduled to arrive on Monday. Looking forward to getting it in and everything hooked up. Only thing I'm disappointed about is I'll have to manually turn it on everytime as none of my devices have a 12v trigger I can use to hook into it. :(

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Only thing I'm disappointed about is I'll have to manually turn it on everytime as none of my devices have a 12v trigger I can use to hook into it. :(
Unless, of course, you get yet another new device. :D

You've got me wondering. Is there a way to generate that 12V trigger signal from some other signal that your equipment does generate?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If you are using an APC conditioner or any other legitimate conditioner that has UL approval, then it shouldn't be a problem at all. I have an MPS-1, Yammie 2700 receiver and other equipment all plugged into an APC H15 and I use this system to host partys where we sometimes play music at insanely loud levels. I have never had a problem with this setup and amplifiers don't consume their rated power in steadystate conditions unless you run a continuous squarewave thru them.

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
If you are using an APC conditioner or any other legitimate conditioner that has UL approval, then it shouldn't be a problem at all. I have an MPS-1, Yammie 2700 receiver and other equipment all plugged into an APC H15 and I use this system to host partys where we sometimes play music at insanely loud levels. I have never had a problem with this setup and amplifiers don't consume their rated power in steadystate conditions unless you run a continuous squarewave thru them.
Thank you as well, Gene. Those are some seriously nice toys you have! Always appreciate the input I get from this site! I took a closer look tonight while listening to "Fleetwood Mac- Live From Boston" on the DVR. The H-10 actually shows a steady 40% with the equipment I have now, with occasional blips up to 60% during the heavy stuff. However, like you said, the amp should not add that much power draw as to be a problem. I've researched long and hard building this little "budget" system. :rolleyes: Just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to accidently melt the whole thing while trying to protect it!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In my opinion a power conditioner is usually a bad idea with anything of fairly high amperage like a power amp. It isn't of any meaningful value with lower current components but it won't hurt. It could hurt with a power amp by lowering the overhead and making it easier for a hard driven amp to go into clipping.

Surge protectors aren't necessary because power amps are fused. If you have erratic power, then you might want to keep some spare fuses on hand. Plug it right into the wall and enjoy the sounds.
I agree with you in general but please note that fuse is for overcurrent protection, not voltage surge protection.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I have had my MPS-1 plugged directly into a dedicated 20 amp circuit for a year or so now with no issues. I have never tried plugging it into my Monster HTS-5000 conditioner.

Emotiva has excellent customer service. I have always got someone within a few rings when calling and they have always taken great care of me. Just know the limitations of what you buy before doing so as it does take them a while to fix things sometimes.

Some of the people on AVS don't even own Emotiva gear, they are just there to bash internet companies and start arguments.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with you in general but please note that fuse is for overcurrent protection, not voltage surge protection.
Yes, I misunderstood the term power conditioner. I didn't think it was a surge protector. I thought it was a transformer. I wouldn't recommend a surge protector either for a power amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis