Amp, Receiver, Speaker Selector??? Pain Killer!!!

H

highlander2002

Audiophyte
I'm a novice trying to muddle my way thru the process of getting more sound outside around the new pool. I have a Denon AVR-1910 running the 5.1 inside plus 2 speakers over the pool table. I have another pair of eave speakers mounted outside and 4 newly installed TIC GS3 garden speakers spreading sound around the yard. They are 8 ohm and 200W max. My main issues are that I would like to have the ability to turn the bass down on the GS3 garden speakers and I'd also like to have them all playing a mono signal around the pool. So far the only thing people can agree on is that i don't have enough power. Some say i need an external amp, some say i need TWO! Some say i need an impedance matching speaker selector and again others say i need TWO (one for each amp). Some say I could just buy a newer receiver and that will cover all 6 outdoors speakers, but that sounds fishy. Some even say that i could stick with my current receiver and it would be fine to run all 13 SPEAKERS! Then somebody thru a major wrench in when they tossed out doing a 70v system like they use in commercial settings. The main point of me adding speakers outdoors was to bring a mellow level of music to that area without having dead spots when walking from point A to B, or hearing cymbals on one side of the pool and vocals on the other. Can anybody give me some clarity (please)?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm a novice trying to muddle my way thru the process of getting more sound outside around the new pool. I have a Denon AVR-1910 running the 5.1 inside plus 2 speakers over the pool table. I have another pair of eave speakers mounted outside and 4 newly installed TIC GS3 garden speakers spreading sound around the yard. They are 8 ohm and 200W max. My main issues are that I would like to have the ability to turn the bass down on the GS3 garden speakers and I'd also like to have them all playing a mono signal around the pool. So far the only thing people can agree on is that i don't have enough power. Some say i need an external amp, some say i need TWO! Some say i need an impedance matching speaker selector and again others say i need TWO (one for each amp). Some say I could just buy a newer receiver and that will cover all 6 outdoors speakers, but that sounds fishy. Some even say that i could stick with my current receiver and it would be fine to run all 13 SPEAKERS! Then somebody thru a major wrench in when they tossed out doing a 70v system like they use in commercial settings. The main point of me adding speakers outdoors was to bring a mellow level of music to that area without having dead spots when walking from point A to B, or hearing cymbals on one side of the pool and vocals on the other. Can anybody give me some clarity (please)?
For that application a pro 70 Volt PA system is absolutely the way to go. The other recommendations to not make sense. If you are handy I can explain how to do it, otherwise higher a pro.

I would not even thing of running 13 speakers from a receiver. It would require lots of impedance matching controls and the losses would lead to inefficiency. The 70 Volt system was developed years ago for just your situation and many others. At first it sounds intimidating, but once you understand it, it is simple and elegant and will actually be your best, cheapest and most reliable way of doing what you want.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis