B

botelerc

Enthusiast
It's been a long time, since I've posted on here. My Parasound hca 2205a finally died, so I'm looking to purchase another amp. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I was wondering if I would be able to get away with an emotiva basx 3a? I could also possibly go with an outlaw 5000x, but don't really need a 5 speaker amp.I only need it for my front three, my receiver is carry all the rest of my speakers. My front 3 are Klipsch rf83s and a rc64. Thoughts?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you really need an external amp with those speakers? What avr do you have and what power are you looking for? I generally view the Basx series as external avr amps as far as general capabilities go....if I go external amp I want something more powerful, more along the lines of what you had. Have you thought about just having the Parasound repaired?

B

botelerc

Enthusiast
Do you really need an external amp with those speakers? What avr do you have and what power are you looking for? I generally view the Basx series as external avr amps as far as general capabilities go....if I go external amp I want something more powerful, more along the lines of what you had. Have you thought about just having the Parasound repaired?
I would love to have it repaired, but I don't think there is anywhere local that can do it. Is there anyone on the forum that repairs them?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You're actually looking for a capable 3 channel amp. Should your budget allow, I would strongly recommend the following product:

[https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15594

It's out of stock at present. You can ask Monoprice to let you know when it becomes available.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It's been a long time, since I've posted on here. My Parasound hca 2205a finally died, so I'm looking to purchase another amp. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I was wondering if I would be able to get away with an emotiva basx 3a? I could also possibly go with an outlaw 5000x, but don't really need a 5 speaker amp.I only need it for my front three, my receiver is carry all the rest of my speakers. My front 3 are Klipsch rf83s and a rc64. Thoughts?
What happened to the unit? Parasound are A-holes and refuse to release a circuit let alone a repair manual.

However here is a bootlegged circuit from Eastern Europe.

Apparently these units are known for the rectifier RC202 blowing up. I have no idea if that is the problem with your unit.

Have you opened it up and seen if there is any signs of damage like burned components?

B

botelerc

Enthusiast
$1500 is probably out of my budget at this point in my life. I was hoping to keep it under $1k

B

botelerc

Enthusiast
What happened to the unit? Parasound are A-holes and refuse to release a circuit let alone a repair manual.

Apparently these units are known for the rectifier RC202 blowing up. I have no idea if that is the problem with your unit.

Have you opened it up and seen if there is any signs of damage like burned components?
I did open it, can't see any real signs of something burnt looking. Was working one minute, not the next. It's gets power(orange or red writing on LCD screen) but never clicks over to green. It was extremely dusty inside when I opened it up. I run it with a cooling fan on top, so it shouldn't be overheating.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
That Outlaw 5000 Amp may be your best bet. Gene ran test on it. Punches above what Outlaw specs it at, if I remember correctly, 180 continuously at 8 ohms. You did say, you don't need 5 channels but for the coin I don't believe anything else on the market can touch it. The extra two channels could be used to drive two passive subs for your setup.

B

botelerc

Enthusiast
I could probably get a used outlaw 750x for $500 possibly as there is one somewhat in my area for sale.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

At least their customer service has been excellent to me. Always has been responsive, fixed a small issue that was out of warranty for me, I did pay shipping but still.

As someone who doesn't want to fix my own amps, there are places that can repair amps that may be cost effective. By me there is a place called Deltronics that fixes amps including Parasounds.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I could probably get a used outlaw 750x for $500 possibly as there is one somewhat in my area for sale.
If you want to do it once and be happy for a long time, get one of those Hypex based amp that has much better specs, verified by measurements than those Outlaw amps you mentioned:

You can get a 4 channel one for under $1,000
Buckeye Amps

I bought a two channel one directly from Buckeye 2.5 years ago, no issue so far. AB it with my Parasound A21, sounded no different and measured no different, but knowing the buckeye amp would measured much better on the bench also helps.

You can also buy from a dealer who is an active Audioholics.com forum member, @DigitalDawn

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I did open it, can't see any real signs of something burnt looking. Was working one minute, not the next. It's gets power(orange or red writing on LCD screen) but never clicks over to green. It was extremely dusty inside when I opened it up. I run it with a cooling fan on top, so it shouldn't be overheating.
Dust acts like a blanket and doesn't allow cooling- blowing air doesn't always help but without knowing how much dust is on it, there's no way to determine whether that caused the problem.

Also, without you indicating your location, it's not possible to say anything about who can repair it, but I would contact some TV repair shops- they still exist in many places.

B

botelerc

Enthusiast
I maybe able to acquire an exact replacement, if I can't get mine fixed.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I maybe able to acquire an exact replacement, if I can't get mine fixed.
What would it cost you? If that would cost you more than $1600, you might as well wait for the Monolith to be available. As a matter of fact, you wouldn't be able to hear a difference between this Monolith and the Parasound.

Well designed power amps sound the same. You would hear more differences between loudspeakers as these are the weakest link in any audio system. There are good sounding speakers and bad sounding ones. The speaker you like may not be your neighbour's preference.

Also read PENG's comments in post No. 12. The Hypex amps are really outstanding and very affordable.

B

botelerc

Enthusiast
I might could replace mine, if I can't fix it for $500, so significantly less than buying a new one. That being said, they are like 20yrs old, so who knows how long it will last.

B

botelerc

Enthusiast
I might could replace mine, if I can't fix it for $500, so significantly less than buying a new one. That being said, they are like 20yrs old, so who knows how long it will last.
To clarify...the new(used)one will cost $500. I'll have to travel 3.5hrs to get it, which sucks, but I've traveled to pick up av equipment before.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis