Amp/Pre amp better sound quality?

R

RBGOBLUE

Audioholic Intern
I had a 7701 Marantz pre now I got a 8802a Marantz pre it's like my systems on steroids amazing difference

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I had a 7701 Marantz pre now I got a 8802a Marantz pre it's like my systems on steroids amazing difference

What's the amazing difference?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
I just hope the sound matches the price tag ROFL
I'll eventually update to something like the SALK or 802D3, but the nice thing is hopefully the MCINTOSH will last me 20 years and i'll never really have to think about receivers before that time....

I guess I could always return it, my dealer lets me have a 30-60 trial on anything I buy... so i figure its worth a shot.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well Id think that the amp and pre will not have sound or color the sound, but your speakers will. ;)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
To be honest, I don't think $10,000 speakers are really necessary for my tastes. For about $4700 per pair (for the standard finishes) I'd be highly satisfied with Salk Veracity HT2-TL speakers. For an entertaining review, read this Audioholics review of the HT2-TLs from 6 years ago. (The price has gone up since then.) I've heard them and agree with the reviewer.

"With the SongTowers, Salk Sound redefined the under $2k price point and now it looks like they are trying to do the same with the under $4k. The performance of the Veracity's is in a completely different league from other speakers I've heard in this, and higher price categories. With commanding bass, ruler flat response, and what is possibly the finest veneer I've ever seen on a speaker, it's hard to find something about the Veracity HT2-TLs to not like. You owe it to yourself to hear the Veracity HT2-TLs."​

It's always hard to compare Internet Direct speakers to those sold through dealerships, but I believe the Salk HT2-TLs are comparable to the much more expensive Joseph Audio Perspectives. The last I knew (several years ago) they cost more than $13k per pair. Both are excellent speakers, but I know what price I'd rather pay.

My point is that it depends on how you buy the speakers. Prices from Internet Direct manufacturers do not compare with prices from audio shops.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
hopefully the MCINTOSH will last me 20 years and i'll never really have to think about receivers before that time.
The receiver may last tat long but odds are their will be other technological advances in that time. an issue and nor was Twenty years ago, digital sound for 5.1 AV was still in it's infancy. HDMI didn't follow until some time later.

but, having some gear since the 1970's I'm not one to preach obsolescence but then again, I don't expect anything from my stereo gear than stereo. That's timeless, IMNSHO.

If you want obsolescence proof, separates is way to go.

B

big O

Junior Audioholic
preamp or pre-outs may not have better sound quality but it offers several options that you cannot get with a receiver.

examples
1. sending the audio out to a dsp unit before the amps.
2. sending the audio out to a digital crossover before sending it to an active speaker

this are options that can be proven to improve the fidelity of the sound and you cannot get them unless you use a preamp or have pre-outs

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
preamp or pre-outs may not have better sound quality but it offers several options that you cannot get with a receiver.

examples
1. sending the audio out to a dsp unit before the amps.
2. sending the audio out to a digital crossover before sending it to an active speaker

this are options that can be proven to improve the fidelity of the sound and you cannot get them unless you use a preamp or have pre-outs
Many receivers (like the Denon X4000 series on sale for $650) have analog pre-outs and digital outputs just like any other preamp or pre-pro.

pacman9270

pacman9270

Enthusiast
Still waiting to understand the amazing difference. Anything?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have absolutely no idea if one sounds better than the other, all I know is after I went Pre/Pro, it's kinda hard to just get rid of my amps;). The one comparison I would like to see is the Denon 7200 Receiver vs the Marantz AV8802A Pre/Pro. Since they share similar hardware and DACs, that is about as close as I can see getting to an apples to apples comparison with measurements. Any opinion I would give would be purely subjective.

R

RBGOBLUE

Audioholic Intern
I have the 8802a and ATI amps, Martin Logan speakers Golden EarXXL subwoofers and proficient ceiling speakers, I've had many people over here listening to my system that work in the business, a lot of them say they haven't heard anything better the Dolby Atmos and Dtsx is simply amazing from movies

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not. Was poking.
I know, just hate to assume. If my new gear sound better, I don't (used to) want to assume it isn't just placebo or for other reasons. Subjective reviews are almost useless for numerous reasons, one being the lack of consistent meaning by audiophiles and others when they use words such as amazing, warm, night and day, subtle, more body, bright, dark, etc to the power n basically.
I have absolutely no idea if one sounds better than the other, all I know is after I went Pre/Pro, it's kinda hard to just get rid of my amps;). The one comparison I would like to see is the Denon 7200 Receiver vs the Marantz AV8802A Pre/Pro. Since they share similar hardware and DACs, that is about as close as I can see getting to an apples to apples comparison with measurements. Any opinion I would give would be purely subjective.
They don't have similar DACs, they have exactly the same:D DACs but implementation, i.e. the components around the chip itself, may be different.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think we all know there are at least two scenarios people refer to. One is with processing and the other is pure direct. With processing engaged, there could be significant difference though the word significant is still undefined in this hobby. In pure direct A/B comparisons, it will be a different story..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis