T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
I have a Pioneer 1018 receiver powering a pair of PSB T55's when listening to music. Last night I believe I blew my tweeters in each T55. I was probably pushing receiver at least 80% so I'm not for sure if it was from clipping. I didn't realize that speakers were so vulnerable even under a little distortion. PSB is going to charge me $100 for a pair of tweeters shipped. My question:

Would it be better for me to have an amp hooked up to my 1018 pushing these T55's? Would it allow me to listen to them at louder levels? What do you recommend, what would be best amp for the $$$$.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I have a Pioneer 1018 receiver powering a pair of PSB T55's when listening to music. Last night I believe I blew my tweeters in each T55. I was probably pushing receiver at least 80% so I'm not for sure if it was from clipping. I didn't realize that speakers were so vulnerable even under a little distortion. PSB is going to charge me $100 for a pair of tweeters shipped. My question:

Would it be better for me to have an amp hooked up to my 1018 pushing these T55's? Would it allow me to listen to them at louder levels? What do you recommend, what would be best amp for the $$$$.
I would. JOC was it in 2ch listening when it happened?

T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
Yes, it was 2ch + Sub. I'm going to double check this evening, and make sure it is not the crossover or anything else but the tweeter. Would would be a good amp to push these for the $$$$?

T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
I do have a center now - I need to update. PSB C60 but I don't use that when listening to music. It seems that I really just push my receiver when listening to music not for movies. So would I really need something to push all 5 speakers or could I just get a 2 channel amp just for music? The emotiva looks awesome, I'm just not in a postion to drop $800. Anything good for $300??? haha

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I do have a center now - I need to update. PSB C60 but I don't use that when listening to music. It seems that I really just push my receiver when listening to music not for movies. So would I really need something to push all 5 speakers or could I just get a 2 channel amp just for music? The emotiva looks awesome, I'm just not in a postion to drop $800. Anything good for $300??? haha
Well that 800 would last you quite some time:D Just get the xpa3 for a couple hundred less. IMO dropping down to the UPA2 for 349 just doesnt make as much sense.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Out of curiosity, how big is this room you are listening in? If you offloaded the bass from the receiver to a sub and you still managed to push into clipping, this must be a very large room..either that or your ears are ringing. Once you get your tweeters wired in, please measure the output with a SPL meter to see how loud you are playing. I suspect, you are well into the 90s ...and thats hearing damage loud. Just something you should consider. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
To answer your question...how much listening do you do in terms of HT/2 channel. If its in favour of 2 channel like 70% of the time or higher, just get the 2 channel as it appears you have the volume under control during movies. :p However if the ratio is 50/50 follow bandphan's advice.

T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
Out of curiosity, how big is this room you are listening in? If you offloaded the bass from the receiver to a sub and you still managed to push into clipping, this must be a very large room..either that or your ears are ringing. Once you get your tweeters wired in, please measure the output with a SPL meter to see how loud you are playing. I suspect, you are well into the 90s ...and thats hearing damage loud. Just something you should consider. :)
Yes, I have the kappa handling the bass. This is pretty large room and I'm usually working around the house and not just sitting in the living room listening..I usually don't have hit it turned up max for very long, just certain songs.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I have the kappa handling the bass. This is pretty large room and I'm usually working around the house and not just sitting in the living room listening..I usually don't have hit it turned up max for very long, just certain songs.
Although a more powerful receiver or amp will not clip as easily, I can't help but wonder if having a more powerful amp will cause you to overdrive the tweeters while trying to drive the speakers even louder to compensate fo rnot having the speakers in your imediate vicinity.

Why don't you look at gettiing another pair of bookshelf speakers and put them in location (ie hallway etc) that will allow you to hear the music more readily? Just a suggestion. :)

T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
I purchased Seth's Yamaha P2201 for 2 channel listening. Hopefully that will work out well for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis