ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I recently installed a few speakers around the house and running them with chromecasts. To amplify I am using 3 lepai amps and my Emotiva a-100.

The lepai amps do quite well for the $13 each I payed for them but compared to the emo.....
I liked the budget for my multi room system thus far but I am thinking of upgrading the amps. I have acquired a denon avr-688 that has a multi channel input that I was thinking of using to amp three sets of speakers. Is there any reason this shouldn't be done?

As a side note, is there a decent multi channel amp out there that won't break the bank?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I have acquired a denon avr-688 that has a multi channel input that I was thinking of using to amp three sets of speakers. Is there any reason this shouldn't be done?
None at all, go for it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@ARES24 Your AVR688 indeed has multi-ch inputs, but not pre-outs (except for the sub pre-out) for using external amplification.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I like it and I think it is the front runner for when I want to spend that kind of money, $599 USD is about $28395 CAD right now.:confused:
If Canada is anything like the USA, there should be plenty to find on the used market with at least a half life left in it for pennies on the dollar. Recycle. It's the responsible thing to do.

In spite of what the marketers would have us believe, extra new features be damned, sound wise, we're in the realm of things that are inaudibly different without a direct side-by-side comparison between new, and not so.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If Canada is anything like the USA, there should be plenty to find on the used market with at least a half life left in it for pennies on the dollar. Recycle. It's the responsible thing to do.

In spite of what the marketers would have us believe, extra new features be damned, sound wise, we're in the realm of things that are inaudibly different without a direct side-by-side comparison between new, and not so.
I've recently repaired both my 10y old Onkyo TX-SR805 (led display went dead) and my 5'y old Pana plasma (buffer board died).
Both repairs were surprisingly easy to do since in both cases I easily found detailed knowledge on ether forums (avs in case of onkyo) or youtube for the tv repair.
In case of AVR $5 worth for pair resistors of ebay and very easy soldering and for tv - a bit of poking around with multimeter on powered off circuits following youtube instructions.
Sending the faulty board for $80 repair (plus $10 in shipping) and under $100 is total expense - I say beats buying new one for $1000-2000 even if it lasts only a couple more years.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You're forgetting the required CCVD (canuck currency value disgust factor) as well as myriad taxes....it's just horrible.
I get the taxes/shipping but you've lost me with CCVD.
I know that some of TV produced by our northerner bear hugging neighbors is actually not terrible (X-files, Expanse, Dark Matter, Continuum and my fav Trailer Park Boys, not that it has any VFX;))
I partially blame it for VFX tax credits, rumoured be as high as 60%
https://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/fact-government-pays-60-of-british-columbia-resident-vfx-salaries/

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I get the taxes/shipping but you've lost me with CCVD.
I know that some of TV produced by our northerner bear hugging neighbors is actually not terrible (X-files, Expanse, Dark Matter, Continuum and my fav Trailer Park Boys, not that it has any VFX;))
I partially blame it for VFX tax credits, rumoured be as high as 60%
https://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/fact-government-pays-60-of-british-columbia-resident-vfx-salaries/
Just based on all the complaints last few years from the Canadians about the state of the currency exchange, usually way overstated (and more like the old days in any case).

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
I recently installed a few speakers around the house and running them with chromecasts. To amplify I am using 3 lepai amps and my Emotiva a-100.

The lepai amps do quite well for the $13 each I payed for them but compared to the emo.....
I liked the budget for my multi room system thus far but I am thinking of upgrading the amps. I have acquired a denon avr-688 that has a multi channel input that I was thinking of using to amp three sets of speakers. Is there any reason this shouldn't be done?

As a side note, is there a decent multi channel amp out there that won't break the bank?
There could be a potential issue. You haven't mentioned the specific model of speaker you've installed around the house. I'm not sure if they are included in your sig line or not, and it's best not to assume things. If the speakers in question are 4 ohms, then running all of them at higher levels could heat up the Denon and shorten its life.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
There could be a potential issue. You haven't mentioned the specific model of speaker you've installed around the house. I'm not sure if they are included in your sig line or not, and it's best not to assume things. If the speakers in question are 4 ohms, then running all of them at higher levels could heat up the Denon and shorten its life.
I don't remember off hand, i will look into it. However I'm not particularly concerned, the volume will not likely go above 25% most of the time.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
If, like me, you love your Emotiva A-100, consider the A-800 - four clean 35 Wpc (That's @ 8 Ohms - 50 Wpc @ 4 Ohms - all eight channels driven!) class A/B stereo amps that can be driven by one stereo source - or eight channels driven independently. It's less than the sale-priced Dayton class D amp, too. I must admit - that Dayton amp has some great spec's and features!

Nilrem

Nilrem

Enthusiast
I use to have a Sonamp 260x3. It's a 3 zone amp that worked pretty well. 60 watts @8 Ohm, a bit more at 4. I think I sold mines for $100 or so, but you can find em for less some times.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis