Amp/AVR suggestions please

W

Wolvy

Enthusiast
Hi-

Newbie debating whether to upgrade my current receiver (Yamaha HTR-5990) or go with a separate 3-channel amp to run my fronts and center.
Room is 3,600^ ft.

The Yamaha gives me all the features I need (for now), but I'm looking for a better sound (and more power to boot). If upgrade, prolly go with the Denon 4311ci.
Might want to go the amp route, though, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg; maybe $800 max?
Looking at the Emotiva XPA-3; good choice or is something else recommended?

Amp would run (most likely) the Aperion VGTs (or Verus Forte at half the price?). Also considering:
Paradigm Studio 60 v.5 or 100 v.5
Salk Song Towers
With a center to match whatever set I go with.
Llooking for the best compromise to accommodate all my needs.

VGTs run at 6 ohm; not sure if there's a problem with running the front 3 at 6 ohm (with the amp) while running my four surrounds at 8 ohm (through the Yammy)?

Have a sub already (Rythmik FV15HP).

Any suggestions on any speakers amps/clarifications are greatly appreciated; thanks!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd stick with what you have. Speakers first if you upgrade anything. But make sure you are really upgrading here and not side stepping.

W

Wolvy

Enthusiast
I'd stick with what you have. Speakers first if you upgrade anything. But make sure you are really upgrading here and not side stepping.
Thanks, but what part of the setup do you think would be "side stepping"? Replacing the Yammy with the Denon AVR instead?

The speakers will be a done deal (just need to decide on which ones :eek:), but was curious if there's an amp or other AVR that would be better suited for, VGTs.

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
The XPA-3 is an amp with a fairly good reputation here on the forum. I almost bought it but got the Outlaw 2200 x 3 instead (the XPA-3 was recently out of stock).

You'll get the most improvement in your system by budgeting for a speaker upgrade first (before amps and before a new receiver). In other words, don't move budget from speakers to anything else until you can afford the speakers you want/like/need.

By the way, the speakers you are looking at were all on my list at one point. My signature is what I ended up with.

Of note, your room is 1,000^3 larger than mine which is why, at the last minute, I changed from an F15 to an F12. I figure I can always double it later if necessary.

What speakers do you have now?

W

Wolvy

Enthusiast
The XPA-3 is an amp with a fairly good reputation here on the forum. I almost bought it but got the Outlaw 2200 x 3 instead (the XPA-3 was recently out of stock).

You'll get the most improvement in your system by budgeting for a speaker upgrade first (before amps and before a new receiver). In other words, don't move budget from speakers to anything else until you can afford the speakers you want/like/need.

By the way, the speakers you are looking at were all on my list at one point. My signature is what I ended up with.

Of note, your room is 1,000^3 larger than mine which is why, at the last minute, I changed from an F15 to an F12. I figure I can always double it later if necessary.

What speakers do you have now?
Thanks JP-

I currently have a pair of Klipsch RF-35s. Just never been impressed with them.
How do you like your STs? They're actually about a half hour from me in MI.
I hear they're better in the lows, but the thought was the Rythmik would take care of any lacking from the VGTs.

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Thanks JP-

I currently have a pair of Klipsch RF-35s. Just never been impressed with them.
How do you like your STs? They're actually about a half hour from me in MI.
I hear they're better in the lows, but the thought was the Rythmik would take care of any lacking from the VGTs.
I'm actually out of the country right now. I'll be seeing and hearing my speakers when I get home for leave in about 6 days. I plan on posting a review once I spend some time with them (3rd priority since new baby & wife have first priority reserved!).

I decided on the Salks for a number of reasons but all my listening was done through the ears of others. If I were located where you are, I'd definitely be taking a drive to Jim's place; ASAP! In fact, if I were within 8 hours of Jim's place I'd be taking a drive out that way!:D

T

tab092652

Audiophyte

Sorry to jump into this link but I'm new and don't know how to post.

TAB

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis