Amp advice for sub drivers?

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
[This may be better in the Amps, Pre-Pros & Receivers section, but it is specifically about sub drivers, so hoping to find the bass freaks here]

I have a set of four Peerless XLS10 P830452 drivers (4Ohm version) that I've had kicking round for a few years. A pair of them have been sitting in a ~40 litre (1.4 cubic ft) box, wired in series to create an 8Ohm load and powered by an Alesis RA500 amp (in bridged mode). The RA500 has been fed with the SUB output from my AV receiver.

The RA500 is rated at 500w RMS into 8Ohm when bridged, and I've been more than happy with the output. Not earth shattering, but a nice bit of extra bass for movies.

I've been given approval from she-who-must-be-obeyed to build some new enclosures to make use of the extra drivers. My plan would be to make two boxes, each with two drivers, and place them near the front speakers (I can't fit another configuration in the room, so can't do four single driver subs).

The obvious solution was to get another Alesis RA500, but they're discontinued. I've looked at the Behringer A500 but it's mismatched in 'only' giving 375w RMS into 8Ohm when bridged.

I could make use of the RA500 elsewhere, so is there a better solution? Perhaps a single amp that would provide 2x500w into 8Ohm loads, or even pair of decent sub plate amps?

I've spotted the Behringer EUROPOWER EPQ1200, which claims 2x320w into 8Ohm, the EUROPOWER EPQ2000 claims 2x600w. Any other/better suggestions?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis