Amazon Fire TV Stick Media Player is Shipping. Do you have one?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
At $39, the Amazon Fire Tv Stick is direct competition for my personal favorite Roku Streaming Stick, and include a physical remote for only $5 more than the remoteless Google Chromecast. I had to jump on the 50% off sale for prime members when it was first released. Though my unit isn't due until December 5th, the first orders are starting to arrive in people's hands. Does anyone have their Amazon Fire TV Stick yet?

I'm mostly interested in Plex streaming, which is a bit sluggish on my Roku. The Roku also takes it's sweet time with Netflix and Hulu, and doesn't have the ability to login to hotel wifi via verification page, which the amazon folks are supposedly working on. All in all, I'm optimistic that the dual core processor, 8gb of flash storage, and optional game pad will make the Amazon Fire TV Stick my new go to travel device, but would love to hear from anyone using one.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I couldn't wait until my delivery date of Dec 18, so I went to Best Buy and picked one up.
Netfilx and Amazon Prime videos work great even with my shitty Actiontec wireless router provided by Verizon.
I sideloaded Kodi (formerly XBMC), and tried a few different videos. Full bluray rips will buffer every 30 seconds so they are a no go.
Compressed bluray rips (8-10GB size) played fine.
I have noticed that navigating through the menus is slower than the Fire TV.
Will post more as I get to play with it some more.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I have two on the way so no hands on experience yet. I've heard lots of good things though :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Two on the way also and got a shipping notice that mine will arrive earlier than expected.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I couldn't wait until my delivery date of Dec 18, so I went to Best Buy and picked one up.
Netfilx and Amazon Prime videos work great even with my shitty Actiontec wireless router provided by Verizon.
I sideloaded Kodi (formerly XBMC), and tried a few different videos. Full bluray rips will buffer every 30 seconds so they are a no go.
Compressed bluray rips (8-10GB size) played fine.
I have noticed that navigating through the menus is slower than the Fire TV.
Will post more as I get to play with it some more.
Kodi looks good, and I'll have to play around with it, but Plex is still my go to. I just haven't been able to get the speed and quality that would be ideal from the Roku; I'm hoping the Amazon Fire TV Stick fixes that, even if it's a little slower on the menus. That's certainly a fit and finish issue for the software, but at the end of the day, I spend more time with the video rolling than scrolling through the menus.

Still a Dec 5 ship date for me. Too bad, I was really hoping to have it for the Thanksgiving weekend.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I don't know if you know, but you can't have DD and DTS with Plex on Fire TV or stick if your files are MKV.
DD works if your files are MP4, but DTS is a no go.
Only way to get DD and DTS passthru with the Plex app is to sideload Kodi and tell Plex to use Kodi as the external player. I think MX player works too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm hoping the Amazon Fire TV Stick fixes that, even if it's a little slower on the menus. That's certainly a fit and finish issue for the software, but at the end of the day, I spend more time with the video rolling than scrolling through the menus.
That's not a fit and finish issue between the Fire TV and the Stick; it is dual core vs quad core processors and half the RAM, so that is a function of hardware IMO. Then it is also less than half the price of the Fire TV. I'll compare them side by side in my setup.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I don't know if you know, but you can't have DD and DTS with Plex on Fire TV or stick if your files are MKV.
DD works if your files are MP4, but DTS is a no go.
Only way to get DD and DTS passthru with the Plex app is to sideload Kodi and tell Plex to use Kodi as the external player. I think MX player works too.
Yeah, I'm only 2.1 on the system that this would be going on. I use a windows based PC with Plex Home Theater for HD audio for my main area.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

That's not a fit and finish issue between the Fire TV and the Stick; it is dual core vs quad core processors and half the RAM, so that is a function of hardware IMO. Then it is also less than half the price of the Fire TV. I'll compare them side by side in my setup.
Not having played with the original fire, I look forward to your comparisons. Certainly at $20, the Fire TV Stick would have to be pretty terrible to justify the upsell, but at $40, the extra money might be easier to justify.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Gizmodo did a review of the three top streaming sticks and chose the Fire stick as the best one based on functionality and speed. Despite being half the specs of the Fire TV, it is still a significant jump up in specs from the other two.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Also it lets you sideload apps which are not available on Amazon's app store. That is a huge plus for those of us who use Kodi.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Comparing them both right now. Same slick interface as the FireTV. For those who have a FireTV, you will notice it does move slightly slower and buffers up media ever so slightly slower as well (this one shows a buffer "circle" for a second or two where the FireTV does not). Not really something to complain about, because it is still very fast. The remote feels lighter and cheaper built than the one that comes with the FireTV, but feels like a quality unit and you can use a phone app to control it as well (including voice control) if you like so that's sort of a moot point. It supports screen mirroring and "second screen" while mirroring, which allows you to control the unit and see additional information about what you're watching while it is playing as well as browse other apps on the tablet/phone while the main screen displays the media. Like their tablets, it is already pre-configured for your Prime account so getting started is quick.

Initial impression? It is a pretty impressive unit for the price. It feels like you're getting a lot for your money even at full price. Nits to pick? USB power cable could be a little longer, but since the wall wart is USB, you can probably use your own cable. The unit is fairly long so it wouldn't fit into the space where my HDMI ports are on the back of my particular TV - they include a short extension cable to take care of that and that worked for me. Audio to the AVR will have to be via ARC or an optical feed from the TV, since the unit plugs into the TV (would it work connected directly to an AVR then is the question).

Got my shipping notice for the other one for Friday delivery :)

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Mine were delivered a couple days ago but I've not tried them out yet :(

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My delivery date got moved up from January 16 to...January 9. Yay.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Second one said next week, but I got it yesterday. Going to install for my parents today.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Bought one today. Sideloaded kodi beta. Extremely impressed. It does almost everything as my 10x the price htpc only a smidgen slower. basically only things missing so far is HD audio pass through(DTS and dd pass through works) . But no issues playing them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis