Amazon Bosch Benchtop table router

• Thread starter slipperybidness
  • Start date
R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't invest in that , like you sayids more of a light duty hobby option .

I mounted my router under the one side of my table saw ,that lets you use the saws fence . I also have an attachment from sears that attaches to another router for cutting perfect circles . Sure beats a jig saw when your cutting out those speaker holes.
I guess my first idea doesn't help if you don't own a table saw

I didn't get to carried away ,as I could have installed a plate . I'll do that at a later date.
I'm not seeing where a router table is going to be a great asset for speakers though. You can free hand the perimeter edges if need be

Last edited:
R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
This is a jig I made with my perfect circle cutter to make plexi glass rings

Mounted on the speaker pod I built

Mounted a 5mm led inside the plexi

p

i know your reffering to home speakers , but some of these ideas could apply to home speakers too . I no longer have to make jigs for plexi as I now own a cnc laser cutter

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the info. Like I said, I have no experience so wanted someone to give a more informed opinion.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the info. Like I said, I have no experience so wanted someone to give a more informed opinion.
I've looked at this before. I know early in the production there were a lot of QC problems and I'm not sure if they ever got worked out. I think there are better options out there, albeit more expensive ($50-100 more) but much better quality.

Although I think a router table isn't really necessary when you can buy or make most of the jigs and whatnot to go with a router for speaker building. I currently have the CRB7 multipurpose router attachment with a few of the accessories. A bit cheaper than the table and does nearly everything I could want to do with a router.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
*disclaimer
I don't recommend speaker building as a hobby. I know it's mine, but if I had all the money poured into the hobby back. I'd simply buy some Salks with an SVS sub and still come out ahead. I mean seriously it's a money pit at times.

Did you know my blade cost like 100 dollars. My router like 300. Jigs and clamps when all is told probably equal 200 dollars. My saw 100 dollars. My bench 50 bucks. My router bits 100 bucks. Wood 100 bucks per project on average. Drivers(Way to much dang money.) Then there is the hardware, glue, paint, labor. Not to mention the injuries.

I mean seriously find some other hobby. I beg you. Take up video games or movies. How about grilling? I can't even talk to most people about my hobby because they think Bose is the best.
*Real information

A router table isn't much use in speaker building. Your best tool would be a solid table saw with a good fence or a circular saw with a self clamping straight edge.
A plunge router with a jasper jig can handle any decent driver you through at it. A band saw might be good for those odd shaped drivers.
Make sure you get Forrest or Freud blades and whiteside or holbren bits.

You only need a couple bits so don't go buying fancy sets. A 1/2" flush trim router(get double bearing) and a 1/4" spiral up cut. You will need a drill and you may want a drill press jig to prevent you from going through the backer board for the jasper jig.

Don't get carried away on tools. Save your best cash for drivers. If you want to solder get a used one and not a Radio shack one either.

Used tools are normally a good way to go as well. They normally have almost little use because most people buy tools to put them on the shelf as decorations and rarely use them at all.

Finally stick to 2-way simple builds don't go for a 3-way(it's way too much effort)

Last edited:
R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
Well said Isiberian . I love the part about the injuries lol.
I've got tens of thousands tied up in tools , but a man needs a hobby . I wouldn't take on home speaker building , as there's to many variables . Paradigm has done that all for you .
If i could ever afford a bigger house i would want to make my own out of 1 inch mdf for a room besides my living room

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
With wood working tools there usually are several different ways to get something done. Some methods are simple and cheap, and others are elaborate and expensive. Usually the cheaper methods rely more on hand work, and aren't as readily repeatable as the elaborate methods. Some people swear by their table saws, and others get by without them. I don't own a table saw, but have gotten to use my router more and more.

For building speaker cabinets, I use a hand held plunge router, a DeWalt DW621. It has a 2 horsepower electric motor. I use it to cut circles in MDF and to trim edges so several pieces are the same dimension. All that works hand held.

When the bit diameter you use gets larger than about ½", a table mounted 3 hp router is said to work better. For example, if you wanted to make front baffles with a ¾" roundover, the bit required is very large in diameter. Amazon.com: Freud 34-128 Quadra-Cut 3/4-Inch Radius Rounding Over Bit with 1/2-Inch Shank: Home Improvement. For that I'd want to use a table mounted router. I've thought about building one, but have never done it yet.

Before I started building speakers, I had no wood working experience at all, other than watching Norm Abrams on TV (he makes it look way too easy :D). Routers are extremely versatile tools, limited only by your experience and imagination at making a suitable jig. I took a 2 hour intro to the router course at a local wood workers shop, and was very glad I did. After that course, I began to get a feel for using a router, and that there was a lot I could do without an elaborate router table.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Don't forget to get a shopvac and the DC attachments for your tools. Your lungs will thank you.

Swerd tells no lies. Did you know Norm does practice runs before he does the TV ones? The hand held router is probably the most versatile tool I own. I can do anything with a router.

If you are getting wood at the Home Depot then they will cut it for you if you ask. You can always route it down. In fact I suggest doing that for your first project. Just get a router with some very good bits. I have no problem running a larger bit with a handheld. Just make sure you stuff is clamped down.

I never thought about using a router to cut. I may try that on my next project. How many passes do you make?

Routers are easy to sell if you decide it's not for you. I really don't know what a fixed based is for.

jinjuku

jinjuku

With my table saw, table router, hand router, circ saw, blades, clamps etc I still think I have come out ahead.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Don't forget to get a shopvac and the DC attachments for your tools. Your lungs will thank you.

Swerd tells no lies. Did you know Norm does practice runs before he does the TV ones? The hand held router is probably the most versatile tool I own. I can do anything with a router.

If you are getting wood at the Home Depot then they will cut it for you if you ask. You can always route it down. In fact I suggest doing that for your first project. Just get a router with some very good bits. I have no problem running a larger bit with a handheld. Just make sure you stuff is clamped down.

I never thought about using a router to cut. I may try that on my next project. How many passes do you make?

Routers are easy to sell if you decide it's not for you. I really don't know what a fixed based is for.
I don't have a problem investing in tools. You always come out ahead in the long run. And I see how a router could be useful. But, I don't have the router skills, that is something I would have to learn how to use.

Remember these words of wisdom: Any mechanic is only as good as his tools allow him to be.

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
^^^ I'm with you as I love tools and can't own enough. I'm going to purchace a planer , jointer ,drum sander and dust collection system next

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have one of these along with a larger one. As has been said, A router table is not of great utility for building speakers.
With a small table like this, it is good (with some auxillary support) for routing longer narrow pieces. What you are looking at is how well supported the wood is. Trying to feed a larger panel of mdf across this small table is not ideal. The weight of the panel will require you to hold it at the right height so it doesn't pivot on the table edge and lift up at the router. You really want gravity to be holding it down on the table for you.
For typical speaker cabinets, I would recommending clamping the panel flat and bringing the router to the panel. A subbase is an excellent accessory to make this easier:
Selecting A Subbase
It gives you a larger base making it easier to control the router (and is much cheaper than a table). Pat Warners subbases are top quality (and this is a very good educational site once you figure out the organization), but there are also some less expensive ones in the big box store that will suffice.

Here are some video links to some router jigs being used in different ways that may be helpful (for general learning about routers):
Five Essential Router-Table Jigs in Action - Fine Woodworking Article

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis