Am I Getting Dolby TrueHD?!

A

admbe

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

I have a Sony STR DG810 and a Toshiba A35 HD DVD Player

When playing a movie that boasts "Dolby TrueHD", my Sony says "PCM 96". I understand that PCM is a codec, but I know that TrueHD has a sample rate of 96Khz. Is this enough info to know that my receiver is outputting "TrueHD"?

The Toshiba nor the Sony have any displays that would indicate "TrueHD". The Sony does have a display "dolby" that does not show up (it shows up for others movies on HBO, etc). The Toshiba has a display "ADV" for "Advanced Features" and from reading the manual, I think this simply means that this device is outputting TrueHD (possibly amongst other "advanced" features).

Other audio settings are dimmed, or non selectable when playing a HD DVD (via the Sony). Is this because you cannot manipulate TrueHD content? Either way, is this reason enough that it is indeed outputting True HD (via the Sony)? I'm sure I'm saying some of these things the wrong way - sorry.

On my Toshiba, I have the following set

- Digital Out SPDIF = PCM
- Digital Out HDMI = Auto
- Digital Direct Audio = Off
- Dynamic Range Control = Off
- Dialog Enhancement = On
- Speaker Setting = 5.1ch

For shits and giggles I updated the firmware to 1.3/1.1

As for how it sounds? It does sound good, but being the person I am, I need confirmation!

Thanks

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The HD DVD player is decoding the Dolby TrueHD and sending it to the receiver as multichannel PCM, which is uncompressed and this process would occur in a receiver that has on-board Dolby TrueHD decoding. The high resolution Multichannel PCM can only be enjoyed when using HDMI 1.1 or above on either the player or receiver.

N

Nessy

Audiophyte
the short answer is yes for the reasons explained a top.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
When playing a movie that has a TrueHD track on it make sure to check in the disc menu that it is set to TrueHD. I have found several discs with a TrueHD track that did not default to it.

A

admbe

Audioholic Intern
When playing a movie that has a TrueHD track on it make sure to check in the disc menu that it is set to TrueHD. I have found several discs with a TrueHD track that did not default to it.
I didn't see an option for it on Bourne Identity, 300, or Eyes Wide shut.... I must say though, watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3 on digital cable sounded better than all of these 3 HD dvd movies... Maybe something is not right, or they just did a great job on Pirates 3....

64met

64met

Audioholic
Hi,

I own the XA2 from Toshiba and if I am not mistaken I believe the latest FW is 1.7; I think? W/out the very latest FW update; you will not see hear TRU HD... One other thing(at least on my xa2) on your remote there is a button"Audio" if the FW is updated; by pressing this button with a movie that is decoded in Tru Hd; you should now see TRU Hd provided your receiver can decode it.

Hello,

I have a Sony STR DG810 and a Toshiba A35 HD DVD Player

When playing a movie that boasts "Dolby TrueHD", my Sony says "PCM 96". I understand that PCM is a codec, but I know that TrueHD has a sample rate of 96Khz. Is this enough info to know that my receiver is outputting "TrueHD"?

The Toshiba nor the Sony have any displays that would indicate "TrueHD". The Sony does have a display "dolby" that does not show up (it shows up for others movies on HBO, etc). The Toshiba has a display "ADV" for "Advanced Features" and from reading the manual, I think this simply means that this device is outputting TrueHD (possibly amongst other "advanced" features).

Other audio settings are dimmed, or non selectable when playing a HD DVD (via the Sony). Is this because you cannot manipulate TrueHD content? Either way, is this reason enough that it is indeed outputting True HD (via the Sony)? I'm sure I'm saying some of these things the wrong way - sorry.

On my Toshiba, I have the following set

- Digital Out SPDIF = PCM
- Digital Out HDMI = Auto
- Digital Direct Audio = Off
- Dynamic Range Control = Off
- Dialog Enhancement = On
- Speaker Setting = 5.1ch

For shits and giggles I updated the firmware to 1.3/1.1

As for how it sounds? It does sound good, but being the person I am, I need confirmation!

Thanks

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

I own the XA2 from Toshiba and if I am not mistaken I believe the latest FW is 1.7; I think? W/out the very latest FW update; you will not see hear TRU HD... One other thing(at least on my xa2) on your remote there is a button"Audio" if the FW is updated; by pressing this button with a movie that is decoded in Tru Hd; you should now see TRU Hd provided your receiver can decode it.
The latest FW update for your XA2 is 2.7:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customersupport/updates_notices.asp

What you should be saying is that with this latest update, DD TrueHD is enabled to be transmitted to a receiver, if it is capable to decode DD TrueHD, and if your HDMI is set to Bitstream in the player. If set to PCM, the player will decode DD TrueHD and the receiver will need to be set to passthrough (to the speakers) and the audio can include commentaries and button sounds as well as DD TrueHD (this is not possible if HDMI is set to bitstream).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis