AM/FM tuner on AVR's

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I haven't listened to radio for years. I have my ipod and can listen to whatever I want, whenvever I want, so I find radio pointless most of the time. I have through the years occasionally heard a new good song I've liked, but that was...once? Three years ago? I think tuners are obsolete in AVR's, but, different strokes for different folks! :)

R

Rubicon_Joey

Audioholic Intern
I use mine ocasionally when I reload shotgun shells on the weekends. I would normally use Pandora but, when I'm reloading I don't like to change songs (disctactions are dangerous) and with FM radio I don't have that option so I can stay focused on the task at hand.

I would however, give up FM radio for something like video streaming from my laptop.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I think perhaps this question could have been worded better.

I don't "limit" my FM listening to any one room or system.

Granted, most of my FM listening is done on a two channel system because it's mostly later at night before falling asleep but, since my AVR is in the living room, I will listen to it ther just as readily if I'm in the mood and happen to be doing something there.

For instance, If I'm bouncing around the first floor (where the AVR resides, and a station is playing what I want to listen to (which most likely will be a Saturday or Sunday morning), I have no qualms about tuning it in on the AVR and enjoying the heck out of it.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I never use the FM tuner in my AVR. I listen to the radio all day when driving at work but I only listen to one station (News Talk KIRO FM) and at home I listen to the internet stream or podcasts. In my car I either listen to my phone (podcasts or music) or the radio depending on when I'm driving and what's on the radio but at home I don't recall the last time I actually use the FM tuner.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Eventually I stopped wiring up the antennas on my two systems. In the car I listen to CD's. Job site radios play FM and I generally gripe about listening to Bono and Dave Matthews sing the same stuff for decades.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Bono and Dave Matthews sing the same stuff for decades.
*shudder*

Some people's arguments may be that it might be a good way to find new music, but I'll occasionally peruse the front pgae of the iTunes store to see what's going on, so just another reason (along with the one above) to not use the radio.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I don't "limit" my FM listening to any one room or system.

Granted, most of my FM listening is done on a two channel system because it's mostly later at night before falling asleep but, since my AVR is in the living room, I will listen to it ther just as readily if I'm in the mood and happen to be doing something there.

For instance, If I'm bouncing around the first floor (where the AVR resides, and a station is playing what I want to listen to (which most likely will be a Saturday or Sunday morning), I have no qualms about tuning it in on the AVR and enjoying the heck out of it.
I think you are right, maybe I did word this thread wrong. Has nothing to do with listening to AM/FM. I listen to it all the time, just never hooked a AVR or Processor to an antenna. I think there should be integrated home theater amplifiers on the market. Back in the days we had receiver-integrated amps and separates. Seems to me 9 out of 10 don't even use the tuner section. I think there would be a clientele that would go for an integrated home theater amplifier rather then an AVR. I don't know of any company that makes an integrated home theater amplifier. My last processor was the Rotel 1066 and what I like about that the most was that it did not have a tuner. They keep adding more and more features to these AVR's and half of it is useless IMO anyway, start taking some stuff out. That's why this newer AVR's have such a short lifespan.

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I don't listen to FM because the tuner in my Yamaha RX-V2500 sucks
(yes Rick, I need a real antenna...) but I would probably still use the Music Choice channels from FiOS for back ground music anyway.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis