AM/FM Antenna Recommendations

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
Srry all but I'm back with another question. I've got an Integra 8.9 and need an AM/FM antenna. My wife wants the radio to work and I refuse to string that 30 cent wire along the wall that they call an "antenna." The receiver is supposed to handle HD radio signals (don't know if that impacts the antenna? I'm not a radio buff at all).

Anyway - I don't need THE BEST antenna (as she wouldn't appreciate the sound improvement anyway) but I do need something decent. The signals in the area are pretty good but the receiver is in the middle of the house, no windows around. The air is 80 - 90% humidity all day long. You can just about swim through it.

Is anything in the $25 - $50 range going to cut it?

Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Another vote for the FMSS. I use this myself

But I'm in an FM rich area and have stations is all directions.

Assuming you want an omnidirectional antenna to pick up fairly local stations from all directions. If they are all in one direction and a greater distance away, my recommendation may change.

Use this handy little toy to see what's realistically available in your area: http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/page?page=states

Hint: use the "advanced search" function and plug in your zip code

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
Oops ... I forgot to mention ...

Oops! This looks like the style that attaches to a rooftop antenna. I should have mentioned that won't work for me. I need something I can use inside the house.

The restrictions in my neighborhood would force me to submit to architectural review before I could install an antenna on my roof. I'd sooner move my gear to an outside wall and drop an IR repeater next to the TV. (don't tell my wife you can do that. She'd love to have all that "stuff" out of the living room!!). :D

So I'm wondering if any of those small plug in antennas will work inside the house.

dougg

dougg

Junior Audioholic
In the attic works fine for Me!

Oops! This looks like the style that attaches to a rooftop antenna. I should have mentioned that won't work for me. I need something I can use inside the house.

My Attic is low at 4/12 Pitch and it fits with room to go around.
I Drilled through the top of Wall and put in a "cut in" Elect. Box with a Coax Connector plate. Looks as if it was always there.
Doug S.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Srry all but I'm back with another question. I've got an Integra 8.9 and need an AM/FM antenna. My wife wants the radio to work and I refuse to string that 30 cent wire along the wall that they call an "antenna." The receiver is supposed to handle HD radio signals (don't know if that impacts the antenna? I'm not a radio buff at all).

Anyway - I don't need THE BEST antenna (as she wouldn't appreciate the sound improvement anyway) but I do need something decent. The signals in the area are pretty good but the receiver is in the middle of the house, no windows around. The air is 80 - 90% humidity all day long. You can just about swim through it.

Is anything in the $25 - $50 range going to cut it?
Believe it or not, plain old fashioned TV rabbit ear antennas work great. The FM radio band is between broadcast TV's channels 6 and 7. Try them first before going for anything more expensive. Nothing Terk sells works any better than rabbit ears. Avoid the amplified types of antennas unless you live 50 miles away from the broadcast source. Then you will probably do much better with a rooftop antenna.

By the way, no home owner association may prohibit roof-top or outdoor antennas. The FCC has an info page discussing this.

Are you near the Gulf Coast? Humid air, wet or marshy ground, and flat terrain can actually help a lot.

Note: AM and FM reception require separate antennas.

So I'm wondering if any of those small plug in antennas will work inside the house.
If you mean one of those so-called antennas that plug into an electrical outlet and use your house wiring as an antenna :eek:, stay away from them.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
Looks nice and I could mount it directly to the house. Just thought of something else though ... I'm in Louisiana and it says this is 54 inches. A good hurricane might damage that.

this one you can do inside or outside. i read one guy installed it behind his drywall between the studs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis