Alnico magnets sound different?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Did you have to adjust the crossover design for the use of Alnico? [big grin]

I've read enough now to know that I asked a silly question in the first post. Thanks to Jim (well, sort of), I now know a lot more than I did before about magnets and magnetism. I often wonder how much smarter I would be if I had actually paid attention in certain university classes.

Nonetheless, as a serious suggestion to Jim, since I'm sure Dennis or Swerd will point him to this thread, I recommend letting the speakers stand on their own merit, and deleting that Alnico nonsense.
I don't know enough about magnetism to know how the flux and domains affect the sound, but if differences can be heard in magnetic pickups using different magnetic materials, I don't know how some difference would be impossible if the speaker's magnet is made from one material or another.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't know enough about magnetism to know how the flux and domains affect the sound, but if differences can be heard in magnetic pickups using different magnetic materials, I don't know how some difference would be impossible if the speaker's magnet is made from one material or another.
The flux from the permanent magnet that the voice coil acts against is purely a quantitative matter, not qualitative. There are not different kinds of magnetic fields (aside from positive and negative), only different quantities of magnetic force.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The flux from the permanent magnet that the voice coil acts against is purely a quantitative matter, not qualitative. There are not different kinds of magnetic fields (aside from positive and negative), only different quantities of magnetic force.
That part, I know. What I don't know is what happens at the edges of the magnet and coil when the coil is receiving an alternating signal and the coil is reaching/exceeding the limits of the cone's excursion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here is a great video I found from that site:
We should do a review of these here at Audioholics.
I've seen a variety of very basic devices but haven't seen such a simple speaker before, cool.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis