Almost done with bulid , what test music and movies to use ?

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
Project amost ready to turn on , I have a pro installer comming friday to finishing hooking up system and calabrate it all . i was woundering What cds sacd , movies are good to check system out with ,
I have spotfiy for music set on extreme , i am thinking with new 203 oppo some sacd and 4k movies are needed , and i heard something babout 5.1 music
whats a good start to get to know system and test drive so to speak ?

System is
8802a pre amp
xpa 5 gen 3
a700
samsung 65 inch curved
furman pl pro
klipschs quartets mains . 20 year old, not new crap
old klipschs academedy center
emp WM 25 rear surrounds
HSU ULS 15 mk2 sub

zone 2 next to main zone
emp wm 30
svs pc 2000

zone 3 is 4 out door speakers

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Whatever your favorites are. I tend to use something big and action-y. Mad Max, Scott Pilgrim, concerts, etc... Music I tend to test with something softer, usually new speakers I use Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue SACD.

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
I was a DJ in my younger days , almost all kinds of music I can appreciate for the most part , do not care for head banger or opera , but just about everything from way before my day to present ,

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Greetings!
I have a few SACDs to suggest: JAZZ: George Shearing & Hank Jones (2 Great Jazz pianists)
Album: The Spirit of 176 (Concord Label)

Gene Harris/Scott Hamilton Quintet
Album: At Last (Concord)

Dave Brubeck Quartet
Album: Time Out (Might be hard to get on SACD)

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue SACD
This might be hard to find now

CLASSICAL: MUSSORGSKY: Pictures at an Exhibition
National Symphony Orch. of Ukraine under Theodore Kuchar
(Excellent dynamics -Naxos Label)

STRAVINSKY: Le Sacre du printemps
BARTOK: The Miraculous Mandarin
MUSSORGSKY: Night on Bald Mountain
Los Angeles Philharmonic under Esa-Pekka Salonen (Deutsche-
Grammophon)

This one is a Blu-ray Disc:
WAGNER: The Ring Without Words
(It's an arrangement of the music from Richard Wagner's Ring,
An operatic tetralogy but there is no singing here -Orchestration
and recording are fantastic)
(EuroArts Label)

Finally, here is an excellent CD to test the transient response of your speakers:

The Sheffield Lab DRUM & TRACK DISC
It's a silver plated disc which is more expensive
(Master was recorded at 24=bit 352.8K Hz)

Happy listening with your new system.
Cheers,

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Time Out SACD is awesome. It isn't hard to get, but it isn't cheap. Even better, but even more expensive, is Concord on a Summer Night live. My favorite SACD, though I don't usually use it for testing, is Jazz at the Pawnshop.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I'd listen to stuff you normally listen to and sources you know well. I used Mad Max Fury Road (4k) to test mine bc it's a very demanding audio track with lots of LFE and tons of other sound effects across the frequency spectrum. It should give you at least a track that'll test the limits of your setup.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Here are some movies I personally like for tests, I added the scenes I like most for this purpose:

Master and Commander - Untill to end of first fight, so first 10 minutes of movie or so.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311113/
The Phantom of the Opera - In first 10 minutes or so there is a bass heavy song.
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - In the beginning when Sauron is defeated, Elronds meeting for the fate of ring, Moria tomb when bucket is dropped to well.

Also some CD's I like for testing:

The Ed Palermo Big Band - Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance (Song of same name is my favourite)
Antero Lindgren - Mother
Lyle Lovett - Pontiac
Rodriguez - Cold Fact
Rodriguez - Coming from Reality

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis