Almost Dolby Atmos...but how to power the last 2 channels?

D

David K

Audiophyte
I purchased the Denon AVR-X7200WA AV receiver and have the full 7.2.4 array of speakers including 4 ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos installed. I need an 11 channel amplifier to run this and it appears the AVR-X7200WA only has 9 channels of amplification. I'm a little disappointed about that but I'm ready to move on and would like a solution to this problem. It appears that I need 2 more channels of amplification utilizing the pre-out for the final two speakers. What would be a recommended 2 channel x 150 watt amplifier that matches the other internal amplifiers in this receiver for the optimum Dolby Atmos home theater experience?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You definitely won't need a 150x2 watt amp. Your X7200WA does not give anything close to 150 watts per channel when all channels are powered. You could get away with a 75x2 or probably 50 wattx2 amp easy- assuming the speakers are the same or similar to the others being powered by the AVR.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
You definitely won't need a 150x2 watt amp. Your X7200WA does not give anything close to 150 watts per channel when all channels are powered. You could get away with a 75x2 or probably 50 wattx2 amp easy- assuming the speakers are the same or similar to the others being powered by the AVR.
My guess is that he wants to use that 150W stereo amp for front speakers and rest speakers from receiver. Could be wrong tho.

D

David K

Audiophyte
ShadyJ, it would be nice to know just how much power each channel puts out so I could get a good match. I spoke to Denon today and they said it has 9 discreet 150 watt amplifiers, but for the final 2 rear height Atmos speakers only a preout. Even though there are eleven sets of speaker terminals.

Here's a picture of the rear view: http://avproductreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/denon-avr-x7200wa-rear.jpg

They recommended a Marantz 150 x 2 amp that runs $700. I have a separate 260 x 2 power amp I was using before the new receiver, it's a Yamaha MX1000, a 50 pound beast. I could turn the gains way down and use it but what overkill. You can't reconfigure it to use preout on the mains and reassign the 150 x 2 output for the mains to the Atmos speakers.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Shady is right. The power ratings are somewhat deceptive. while any one channel out of the nine in the unit may put out 150 watts, when more than one channel is called upon at the same time, the power ratings goes down significantly.

Additionally, those last two channels are, like rear and surround channels, are not called upon very often and not for earth shattering volumes. They are only for ambiance and the very occasional SFX.

And, the fact that Marantz, just like Denon, are both owned by D&M Holdings may have had a little to do with their recommendation of that particular amp.

IMNSHO, use what you have laying around.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis