All those screens before a movie

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Many have made this argument, especially on this site. This pictoralizes the argument. The only problem I see is most pirates probably don't even use a DVD. So it should be "Double Click" ---> "Movie."

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Um, most of the time you CAN skip these things. Not every disc, but most that I have found can be skipped one by one using FF and some you can bypass all of it by chosing "Top Menu".

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Um, most of the time you CAN skip these things. Not every disc, but most that I have found can be skipped one by one using FF and some you can bypass all of it by chosing "Top Menu".
Yes but the point Andrew is trying to make is that if you want to see the FBI warnings or the previews then put them in the "extras" menu of the DVD/BD. Instead they force you to watch them.

Oh and I like your flowchart. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I like your flowchart too. Did you actually put that together? Looks like a lot of work :)

If they just put the warnings on the extras, nobody would ever watch them, defeating the purpose. Just make them short enough that I don't try to FF past it...

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't make the chart, a friend showed it to me. Notice the chart says "Unskippable, You may fastforward" about some of the previews. This is pretty accurate in my experience.

The point about the warnings is it only affects those who purchased the disc, no one else. Why even put them there, it is self defeating and just pisses off the consumer, while the person who stole the movie never bothers with it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It may be there more for the rental crowd than the purchase crowd :) What I meant was actually that quite often I do automatically hit skip forward not FF, even during the FBI sequence to see if it will do it, and quite often on recent discs it does. The chart is still funny, and ironically, the movie I watched last night I actually said "Oh come on..." at how many trailers were on it (skippable) :D

Last edited:
Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I always chapter forward, if you can't do that, press menu, or top menu, if you can't do that, fast forward, if you can't do that, walk away for 5 minutes, make a sandwich, popcorn, get a drink, come back, and it should be good to go.;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I usually see what the first trailer is. If it isn't any good, I go for Top Menu :)

N

Nugu

Audioholic
I don't mind the trailers so much but there are some I prefer to skip through. Mainly older DVDs with 'coming soon' that have been out for 3+ years.

I wonder though if the ability to skip some of this stuff is actually coming from the DVD or the player? Could be I only noticed it because I prefer the PS3 controller for control vs the 100-tiny-button-remotes of the old DVD player. I find I'm more inclined to do things like FF/skip with the joysticks and triggers.

PS: I'm amazed a Disney movie wasn't used in the example.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis